Optimizing for cost efficiency

• Thread starter Painguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Efficiency
In summary, the conversation discusses the cost of fuel for a boat, which is directly proportional to the cube of its speed. The cost of running the ferry, aside from fuel, is a fixed amount of $3125 per hour. The proportionality constant for the cost of fuel per hour is found to be 0.1. To express the cost per mile in terms of speed, the formula C(v)=0.1kv^3 + 3125 is used. To minimize the cost per mile traveled, the boat should travel at a speed that results in the lowest cost per mile.
Painguy

Homework Statement

The cost of fuel to propel a boat through the water (in dollars per hour) is proportional to the cube of the speed v. A certain ferry boat uses $100 worth of fuel per hour when cruising at 10 miles per hour. Apart from fuel, the cost of running this ferry (labor, maintenance, and so on) is $3125 per hour.
(a) Find the proportionality constant for the cost of the fuel per hour.

(b) Express the cost per mile in terms of v only.

(c) At what speed should the boat travel so as to minimize the cost per mile traveled?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) C=kv^3

100=k1000
k=.1

b)C(v)=.1kv^3 + 3125

This is where i get stuck because apparently this is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
This cost per hour, not cost per mile.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
This cost per hour, not cost per mile.

RGV

I still don't understand. If you could give a more specific example that'd be great :P

Painguy said:
I still don't understand. If you could give a more specific example that'd be great :P

No. That would be doing your homework for you, which is forbidden. I have already given a perfectly adequate hint.

RGV

Related to Optimizing for cost efficiency

What is cost efficiency and why is it important?

Cost efficiency refers to the ability to achieve a desired result or output at the lowest possible cost. It is important because it helps organizations and businesses to maximize their resources and minimize waste, ultimately leading to increased profits and competitiveness in the market.

How can I optimize for cost efficiency in my business?

To optimize for cost efficiency, you can start by identifying areas where costs can be reduced, such as streamlining processes, negotiating with suppliers, and implementing cost-saving technologies. It is also important to regularly monitor and analyze expenses to identify any potential areas for improvement.

What are the benefits of optimizing for cost efficiency?

The benefits of optimizing for cost efficiency include increased profitability, improved competitiveness, better resource management, and the ability to offer more competitive prices to customers. It can also lead to a more streamlined and efficient operation, which can result in higher customer satisfaction.

What are common challenges when trying to optimize for cost efficiency?

Some common challenges when optimizing for cost efficiency include limited resources, resistance to change from employees, and balancing cost-cutting measures with maintaining quality. It is important to carefully consider these challenges and develop a comprehensive plan to overcome them.

How can I measure the success of my cost efficiency efforts?

There are various ways to measure the success of cost efficiency efforts, such as tracking expenses and cost savings over time, comparing your organization's costs to industry benchmarks, and monitoring customer satisfaction and retention rates. It is important to regularly assess and adjust your strategies to ensure continued success in optimizing for cost efficiency.