Optimizing Tunnel Throughput: What Speed Maximizes Vehicle Volume Per Hour?

• Thread starter Perplexed553
  • Start date
In summary, "Maximize tunnel throughput" refers to optimizing data transmission through a network tunnel by adjusting factors such as bandwidth and network congestion. It is important because it improves network performance and user experience, as well as prevents congestion and bottlenecks. Methods for maximizing tunnel throughput include using a high-speed internet connection, optimizing network settings, and implementing QoS policies. Common challenges include network congestion, bandwidth limitations, and infrastructure limitations, which can be addressed through careful analysis and troubleshooting. Network performance monitoring tools can be used to measure the effectiveness of optimization efforts.
Perplexed553

Homework Statement

historical data shows that between 15 and 35 mph, the space x between vehicles (in miles) is x = 0.324/(42.1 - v)
where v is the vehicles speed in miles per hour

Ignoring the length of individual vehicles, what speed will give the tunnel the largest volume in vehicles per hour?

Homework Equations

x = .324/(42.1-v)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could set x = 0 (because spacing would be 0 ignoring the length of vehicles) and solve for v. That isn't correct.
They show a solution where Q= cars/hour = (42.1v-v^2) / .324. I don't see where they get this.
Then it looks like they take the derivative with respect to v of the numerator only and set it to next to 0
dQ/dv = 0 = 42.1 -2v/.324 = 21.05 mph. This part makes sense to me but I still don't understand where they get Q = (42.1v - v^2)/.324.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perplexed553 said:

Homework Statement

historical data shows that between 15 and 35 mph, the space x between vehicles (in miles) is x = 0.324/(42.1 - v)
where v is the vehicles speed in miles per hour

Ignoring the length of individual vehicles, what speed will give the tunnel the largest volume in vehicles per hour?

Homework Equations

x = .324/(42.1-v)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could set x = 0 (because spacing would be 0 ignoring the length of vehicles) and solve for v. That isn't correct.

If you analyze the formula for the spacing of the vehicles, you will see there is no speed v which can make x = 0.

They show a solution where Q= cars/hour = (42.1v-v^2) / .324. I don't see where they get this.
Then it looks like they take the derivative with respect to v of the numerator only and set it to next to 0
dQ/dv = 0 = 42.1 -2v/.324 = 21.05 mph. This part makes sense to me but I still don't understand where they get Q = (42.1v - v^2)/.324.

From the data given about vehicle speeds and vehicle spacing, you've got to figure out how to determine the number of vehicles Q which enter the tunnel, as a function of vehicle speed, v. Once you have Q as a function of vehicle speed, then you can figure out which speed v gives the maximum Q.

In case SteamKing's hint is not clear, there is a simple relationship between Q, v and x.

Perplexed553 said:
Read vehicle flow analysis
that's where the formula comes from

Last edited by a moderator:
SabemosqueSePuede said:
Read vehicle flow analysis
that's where the formula comes from
In the homework exercise in post #1, the student was expected to derive that formula from the given one, x = 0.324/(42.1 - v).
Anyway, the thread is over six years old.

haruspex said:
Anyway, the thread is over six years old.
And deserves to be closed. The OP posted the question and never returned.

Related to Optimizing Tunnel Throughput: What Speed Maximizes Vehicle Volume Per Hour?

1. What is "Maximize tunnel throughput"?

"Maximize tunnel throughput" refers to the process of optimizing the capacity and efficiency of a tunnel, which is a virtual network connection that allows data to be transported securely between two points over an existing network infrastructure.

2. Why is maximizing tunnel throughput important?

Maximizing tunnel throughput is important because it allows for faster and more reliable transfer of data between two points, which is crucial for many applications such as remote access, data backup, and cloud computing.

3. What factors affect tunnel throughput?

Several factors can affect tunnel throughput, including network bandwidth, network latency, encryption/decryption processes, and the type of data being transmitted.

4. How can tunnel throughput be maximized?

Tunnel throughput can be maximized by using efficient and fast networking equipment, optimizing network settings, choosing the appropriate encryption method, and monitoring and troubleshooting any potential bottlenecks in the network.

5. What are some common challenges when trying to maximize tunnel throughput?

Some common challenges when trying to maximize tunnel throughput include limited network resources, network congestion, compatibility issues between different network components, and security concerns.