Optimizing Ticket Prices for Maximum Revenue

In summary, the conversation discusses an optimization problem involving a baseball team playing in a stadium with a capacity of 60000 spectators. The demand function for tickets was determined to be 8-(1/6000)(x-24000) and the team is trying to find the optimal ticket price to maximize revenue. After taking the derivative of the demand function and setting it equal to zero, it was found that the critical number is x = 36,000. This corresponds to a ticket price of $6.00.
jimen113
[SOLVED] Optimization problem

Homework Statement

A baseball team plays in the stadium that holds 60000 spectators. With the ticket price at 8 the average attendence has been 24000. When the price dropped to 7, the average attendence rose to 30,000.
a) find the demand function p(x), where x is the number of spectators (assume p(x) is linear p(x)=
b) How should the ticket price be set to maximize revenue?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I figured out that the demand function was: 8-(1/6000)(x-24000)
b) I tried to use the revenue formula:; by taking the derivative of the demand function which is: 12-(12,000x/6000[tex]^{}2[/tex])
and then I set that equal to zero and tried to solve for X, which is: 36,000
So, now I don't know how to use the above information to calculate the price of the ticket. any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So x = 36,000 is a critical number of the revenue function [itex]r(x) = xp(x) = 12x - x^2 / 6000[/itex]. What does that tell you about r(x) at x = 36,000? What does that tell you about p(x)?

I plugged in the x=36,000 into the demand function and I got $6.00 as the answer, I verified it and it is correct.
Thanks, I appreciate your help.

What is a revenue optimization problem?

A revenue optimization problem is a mathematical and analytical challenge faced by businesses to maximize their profits by finding the optimal pricing and resource allocation strategy.

What are the key factors that affect revenue optimization?

The key factors that affect revenue optimization include market demand, competition, cost of production, pricing strategy, and resource allocation.

How can data analysis and modeling help in revenue optimization?

Data analysis and modeling can help in revenue optimization by providing insights and patterns in customer behavior, market trends, and performance of different pricing strategies. This information can be used to make informed decisions about pricing and resource allocation.

What are some common techniques used for revenue optimization?

Some common techniques used for revenue optimization include price discrimination, dynamic pricing, demand forecasting, and A/B testing.

What are the potential benefits of revenue optimization?

The potential benefits of revenue optimization include increased profits, better resource allocation, improved customer satisfaction, and a competitive advantage in the market.