Optimizing Velocity on Incline for Vertical Rain Perception

In summary, the question asks for the velocity 'v' at which a man must run down a 37 degree incline in order for rain falling at 20m/s parallel to the incline to appear to fall vertically from his perspective. To solve this, one can use relative motion and set up a right triangle with the man's velocity and the rain's velocity as the sides, using trigonometry to find the required velocity 'v'.
takando12

Homework Statement

Rain falls with velocity of 20m/s parallel to an incline which is at an angle of 37 degrees from the ground. A man starts running down the incline with a velocity 'v' . Find 'v' such that the rain appears to be falling vertically on the man( from his perspective).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused about the axis i must take. Should i take the x-axis on the horizontal of the incline or the ground? I suppose i must resolve the rain into it's rectangular components. But using what angle? Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you really want to understand this problem, I suggest using the ground (not the ramp) as the x-axis, draw a vector for the rain, and draw vector for the man running, make each vector a part of a right triangle and break them into components via trigonometry. This is the long way to solve the problem, but it will give you insight into any future problems like this that you encounter.

Keep in mind that you want the man and the rain in the same horizontal frame of reference, so the rain is only moving relative to the man in the vertical frame of reference.

The question isn't making sense to me. Is this the exact wording? The rain is falling parallel to the slope?

Not sure but I think like the followin':

Dont know why the pic is not uploading

Okay, let me tell like this:
tan90=(20sin37/(v-20cos37)) so, v-20cos37=0
Or, v=20cos37=15.9727

Using relative motion

fireflies said:
[snip]
We are still waiting for the original poster to tell us what the question is. Posting answers seems premature.

1. What causes rain?

Rain is caused by water vapor in the atmosphere condensing into droplets and falling to the ground due to gravity.

2. How does rain affect a man on an incline?

The effects of rain on a man on an incline will depend on the steepness of the incline and the intensity of the rain. In general, rain can make the incline more slippery and increase the risk of slipping and falling.

3. Can rain make an incline unstable?

Yes, heavy rain can cause erosion and destabilize an incline over time. This is especially true for inclines made of softer materials like soil or sand.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when it's raining on an incline?

If you must be on an incline when it's raining, make sure to wear appropriate shoes with good traction and take slow and deliberate steps to avoid slipping. It's also a good idea to use handrails or other support if available.

5. How does rain affect the friction between a man's shoes and the incline surface?

Rain can reduce the friction between a man's shoes and the incline surface, making it more slippery and increasing the risk of falling. This is because the water acts as a lubricant between the shoe and the surface, reducing the contact and grip between the two.