Oral Covid Vaccine May Be Game Changer

In summary, Pfizer has initiated a phase 1 study for a novel oral antiviral therapeutic agent against SARS-CoV-2, which could potentially change the vaccine landscape. Meanwhile, an Israeli company is also working on an oral COVID-19 vaccine. This suggests that the treatment landscape for COVID-19 is rapidly developing.
Biology news on Phys.org
This is not a vaccine. As the title of the press release says, this is a "ORAL ANTIVIRAL THERAPEUTIC AGENT AGAINST SARS-COV-2," specifically a protease inhibitor drug.

(I find it ironic that @FactChecker liked the erroneous post without first checking the facts :smile:)

Last edited:
Likes Vanadium 50, bhobba and TeethWhitener
Ygggdrasil said:
(I find it ironic that @FactChecker liked the erroneous post without first checking the facts :smile:)

Don't blame him - it was my mistake in not reading it carefully enough. The following, unless I made a similar goof, seems an actual vaccine:
https://www.jpost.com/health-science/israeli-company-says-oral-covid-19-vaccine-on-its-way-662712

Either way the 'treatment' landscape seems to be hotting up.

Thanks
Bill

What is an oral Covid vaccine?

An oral Covid vaccine is a type of vaccine that is taken by mouth, rather than being injected into the body. It works by stimulating the immune system to produce antibodies that can protect against the virus.

How does an oral Covid vaccine work?

An oral Covid vaccine works by introducing a weakened or inactive form of the virus into the body. This triggers the immune system to produce antibodies that can recognize and fight off the virus if it enters the body in the future.

What are the potential benefits of an oral Covid vaccine?

One potential benefit of an oral Covid vaccine is that it can be easily administered without the need for needles or trained medical professionals. It also has the potential to provide longer-lasting immunity compared to other types of vaccines.

What are the potential challenges of developing an oral Covid vaccine?

Developing an oral Covid vaccine presents several challenges, including finding the right balance between a weakened virus that is effective but not harmful, ensuring the vaccine can be stored and transported safely, and conducting large-scale clinical trials to ensure its safety and efficacy.

When can we expect an oral Covid vaccine to be available?

It is difficult to predict an exact timeline for the development and availability of an oral Covid vaccine. While there are promising candidates in development, it will likely take several more years of research and testing before a safe and effective oral vaccine is widely available.