Orbit determination from radar readings of a satellite in orbit

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding specific angular momentum and the orbital parameter, with a focus on the eccentricity vector. The speaker was struggling to arrive at the textbook answer for the eccentricity value and was seeking hints on where they might have gone wrong. They also discussed their assumptions about the given values and the direction of the position vector. Finally, an alternative expression for the eccentricity vector was suggested as a simpler solution.
bwitt
Homework Statement
Radar readings determine that an object is located at 7,653.76km with a velocity of 3.1621I-2.3716K km/s. Determine p, e, u0, the longitude of ascending node, the argument of periapsis, the true anomaly at epoch, longitude at epoch, and the latitude of impact
Relevant Equations
see below
Hello everyone! This is from The Fundamentals of Astrodynamics Chapter 2 Questions. I'm doing this as a self-study (and never took Linear Algebra) so my "technique" might be a little sloppy 😖😖

gif.latex?%5Cmathbf%7Br%7D%20%3D%201.gif

DU%5Coplus.gif

Finding specific angular momentum
hbf%7Br%7D%20%5Ctimes%20%5Cmathbf%7Bv%7D%20%3D%200.gif

Finding the orbital parameter

gif.latex?%7C%7C%5Cmathbf%7Bh%7D%7C%7C%20%3D%200.gif

?p%20%3D%20%5Cfrac%7Bh%5E2%7D%7B%5Cmu%7D%20%3D%200.gif

Finding Eccentricity Vector
rac%7B1%7D%7B1.2%7D%29%5Cmathbf%7Br%7D%20-%20%28-0.gif

%3D%20%280.2712K%29%20+%200.36%280.4I%20-%200.gif
+%200.144I-0.108K%20%3D%200.144I%20+%200.gif

7D%7C%7C%20%3D%20%5Csqrt%7B0.144%5E2I%20+%200.gif

63424%7D%20%3D%20%5Csqrt%7B0.04737024%7D%20%3D%200.gif

This doesn't match with the textbook answer that e = 0.820748, I've done this question over and over many times and have never arrived at that answer. I'm looking mainly for hints at what might be going wrong here. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the 7,653.76km the height above the Earth's surface, or the distance from the Earth's center? If it is a radar reading, I would think the first one. What did you assume?

I assumed it was from the Earth's center because in other questions it specified if it was relative to the radar station

How did you decide upon the direction of the position vector? It's not specified in your problem statement.

As for e, I think something's gone awry in your math there. You might find it simpler to use the following expression for the eccentricity vector:
$$\vec e = \frac{\vec v \times \vec h}{\mu} - \frac{\vec r}{r}$$

Edit: Fixed a missing \vec in the above expression.

Last edited:
gneill said:
How did you decide upon the direction of the position vector? It's not specified in your problem statement.

As for e, I think something's gone awry in your math there. You might find it simpler to use the following expression for the eccentricity vector:
$$e = \frac{\vec v \times \vec h}{\mu} - \frac{\vec r}{r}$$

Ope sorry, the problem statement actually said 7,653.76K km :-p

Wow that is a much simpler form, wish the authors presented it like that... thanks for the help :)

Likes berkeman

What is orbit determination and why is it important?

Orbit determination is the process of calculating the trajectory and position of a satellite in orbit using data collected from radar readings. It is important because it allows us to track and predict the movement of satellites, which is crucial for communication, navigation, and scientific research.

How do radar readings help determine the orbit of a satellite?

Radar readings provide information about the range, velocity, and direction of a satellite. By analyzing this data, scientists can calculate the satellite's position, velocity, and acceleration, which are essential for determining its orbit.

What factors can affect the accuracy of orbit determination from radar readings?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of orbit determination, such as atmospheric interference, equipment limitations, and errors in the radar measurements. Additionally, the accuracy of the orbit determination depends on the frequency and timing of the radar readings.

What are the different methods used for orbit determination from radar readings?

The two main methods are the classical method and the modern method. The classical method uses Kepler's laws of motion to calculate the orbit, while the modern method uses numerical integration and data fitting techniques to determine the orbit with higher accuracy.

Can orbit determination from radar readings be used for all types of satellites?

Yes, orbit determination from radar readings can be used for all types of satellites, including low Earth orbit, geostationary orbit, and highly elliptical orbit. However, the accuracy of the determination may vary depending on the type of orbit and the capabilities of the radar system.