Orbital angular momentum projection

In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of a function in terms of spherical harmonics and the calculation of the probability of a measurement yielding a specific total orbital angular momentum. It is noted that the norm of the wave function plays a role in this calculation, and the conversation concludes with a clarification on the need for the spatial integral.
VantagePoint72
Suppose I have particle in three dimensional space whose position space wavefunction in spherical coordinates is ##\psi(r,\theta,\phi)##. The spherical harmonics ##Y_{\ell,m}## are a complete set of functions on the 2-sphere and so any function ##f(\theta,\phi)## can be expanded as ##f(\theta,\phi) = \sum_{\ell=0}^\infty \sum_{m=-\ell}^{\ell} f_{\ell,m} Y_{\ell,m}(\theta,\phi)##. Since ##\psi## may, in general, have radial dependence, the coefficients ##f_{\ell,m}## will too, i.e., ##f_{\ell,m}(r)##.

I'm curious, then, what the probability is that the particle will be measured have total orbital angular momentum ##\sqrt{\ell_0(\ell_0+1)}\hbar##. I'm used to seeing expansions of quantum states in which the coefficients are just constants and so I'm a bit thrown by the radial dependence in this case. Intuitively, I'd expect that a total orbital angular momentum measurement would yield ##\sqrt{\ell_0(\ell_0+1)}\hbar## with probability
##
P(\ell_0) = \sum_{m=-\ell_0}^{\ell_0} \int_0^\infty dr |f_{\ell_0,m}(r)|^2
##

Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost.
LastOneStanding said:
Intuitively, I'd expect that a total orbital angular momentum measurement would yield ##\sqrt{\ell_0(\ell_0+1)}\hbar## with probability
##
P(\ell_0) = \sum_{m=-\ell_0}^{\ell_0} \int_0^\infty dr |f_{\ell_0,m}(r)|^2
##

Is that right?

Almost. It should be the norm of the part of the wave function with ##\ell = \ell_0##, so

[tex]P(\ell_0) = \int_0^\infty dr r^2 \int_0^{2 \pi} d\phi \int_0^\pi d\theta \cos \theta \left| \sum_{m = -\ell_0}^{\ell_0} f_{\ell_0, m}(r) Y_{\ell_0, m}(\theta, \phi) \right|^2[/tex]

You can use the orthogonality of the spherical harmonics to rewrite this as

[tex]P(\ell_0) = \sum_{m = -\ell_0}^{\ell_0} \int_0^\infty dr r^2 |f_{\ell_0, m}(r) |^2 \int_0^{2 \pi} d\phi \int_0^\pi d\theta \cos \theta \left|Y_{\ell_0, m}(\theta, \phi) \right|^2[/tex]

If we assume that the spherical harmonics are normalized so that

[tex]\int_0^{2 \pi} d\phi \int_0^\pi d\theta \cos \theta |Y_{\ell, m}(\theta, \phi)|^2 = 1[/tex]

Then we get

[tex]P(\ell_0) = \sum_{m=-\ell_0}^{\ell_0} \int_0^\infty dr r^2 |f_{\ell_0,m}(r)|^2[/tex]

Likes VantagePoint72
Interesting, I wouldn't have thought you'd need to do the whole spatial integral, particularly the angular part. I suppose that's just to take the inner product between spherical harmonics?

Well, you can see that you don't actually have to do any angular integrals in the end. But the norm is defined in terms of the integral over all space, so I started from that.

Very helpful, thank you.

What is orbital angular momentum projection?

Orbital angular momentum projection is a mathematical operation used in quantum mechanics to determine the quantum state of a particle with respect to its angular momentum around a fixed axis.

Why is orbital angular momentum projection important?

Orbital angular momentum projection is important because it allows us to describe the behavior of particles in terms of their angular momentum, which is a fundamental property in quantum mechanics.

How is orbital angular momentum projection calculated?

Orbital angular momentum projection is calculated by taking the inner product of the quantum state of the particle with the eigenstate of the angular momentum operator along the specified axis.

What are the possible values of orbital angular momentum projection?

The possible values of orbital angular momentum projection are determined by the quantum number associated with the angular momentum operator. These values range from -l to l, where l is the quantum number.

How does orbital angular momentum projection relate to orbital angular momentum?

Orbital angular momentum projection is a component of the total orbital angular momentum of a particle. It represents the projection of the orbital angular momentum onto a specific axis, while the total orbital angular momentum includes all possible projections along different axes.