How Does Rosetta Maintain Orbit Around a Low-Gravity Comet?

In summary: Thanks...In summary, a low gravitational force means that Rosetta's orbit around 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko is slow. To make observations of the comet, Rosetta needs to orbit at the same speed as the comet, but this would be impossible if the rotational speed of the comet is very fast. The comet itself rotates, so Rosetta needs to match its rotational speed to stay in a stationary orbit. Thanks for the questions!
abhaybakshi
Hi All,

I know that Rosetta was orbiting around 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko. This asteroid has extremely low gravitational force acting on Rosetta. I believe that if the celestial body is heavy (mass), then there would be greater gravitational pull on the satellite and the orbital speed of it's satellite should be fast near it's surface so as to avoid collision.

I have below questions.

1. Since there is almost zero gravitational pull on Rosetta by 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko, does the Rosetta orbit the comet very slowly ?

2. The comet itself rotates. In order to make observations of the comet (Geo-stationery orbit), the orbital speed of Rosetta should match with the rotational speed of comet. Now assume if rotational speed of comet is very fast. Now in this case, Rosetta should match that speed so that it will be stationery to the comet. But at that speed it will fly away from comet. So, what maneuvers they put in place to achieve this ?

Thanks...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
1. Fast and slow are relative terms. What are you comparing with?
2. To orbit faster the spacecraft has to apptoach closer. But you do not need to match orbital velocity to rotational velocity to map the surface... it's actually counter productive. ie satellite mapping of the Earth is easier from a polar orbit, do you see why?

Thanks Simon. I intend to keep Rosetta stationery relative to comet. Hence I would like to match the orbital and rotational speed.

abhaybakshi said:
Thanks Simon. I intend to keep Rosetta stationery relative to comet. Hence I would like to match the orbital and rotational speed.

Why ?
it's not a very good idea from an exploration point of view

Likes Simon Bridge
abhaybakshi said:
I intend to keep Rosetta stationery relative to comet.
... what is wrong with getting Rosetta into a stationary orbit then?

Compare: if you wanted a geostationary orbit, which is a stationary orbit about the Earth, then you need satisfy particular conditions...[/I]

abhaybakshi said:
Hi All,

I know that Rosetta was orbiting around 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko. This asteroid has extremely low gravitational force acting on Rosetta. I believe that if the celestial body is heavy (mass), then there would be greater gravitational pull on the satellite and the orbital speed of it's satellite should be fast near it's surface so as to avoid collision.

I have below questions.

1. Since there is almost zero gravitational pull on Rosetta by 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko, does the Rosetta orbit the comet very slowly ?

Yes. The escape velocity for 67P is approximately 1 (one) meter per second. Orbital velocity, of course, must be less than this velocity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko
2. The comet itself rotates. In order to make observations of the comet (Geo-stationery orbit), the orbital speed of Rosetta should match with the rotational speed of comet. Now assume if rotational speed of comet is very fast. Now in this case, Rosetta should match that speed so that it will be stationery to the comet. But at that speed it will fly away from comet. So, what maneuvers they put in place to achieve this ?

Thanks...

'stationery' is stuff you write letters on.

'stationary' is standing still in one place.

If Rosetta is placed in a stationary orbit w.r.t. 67 P, it can only map the surface directly below its cameras.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_( spacecraft )

abhaybakshi said:
I don't know if that is possible. Rosetta presently orbits at ~29 km with an orbital speed of ~0.15169 m/s and a period of ~14 days. the rotational period of 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko is 12.4 hours. The orbital radius for its mass if you treat the mass as a point source is 3.229 km. However, the body is an irregular shape with some dimensions greater than this distance, so the point source solution is not applicable. There just might not be a stable geosynchronous orbit.

@Janus: was hoping to get OP to realize that and write it out.
The process of thinking about it should (fingers crossed) also suggest a solution...

1. What is the orbital velocity of Rosetta?

The orbital velocity of Rosetta, also known as its orbital speed, is approximately 55,000 kilometers per hour or 34,000 miles per hour.

2. How does the orbital velocity of Rosetta compare to other spacecrafts?

Rosetta's orbital velocity is relatively slow compared to other spacecrafts, as its mission is to rendezvous and orbit a comet. For example, the International Space Station has an orbital velocity of about 27,600 kilometers per hour or 17,000 miles per hour.

3. What factors determine the orbital velocity of Rosetta?

The orbital velocity of Rosetta is determined by the mass of the comet it is orbiting, as well as its distance from the comet and the gravitational pull between the two objects.

4. Has the orbital velocity of Rosetta changed during its mission?

Yes, the orbital velocity of Rosetta has changed during its mission as it has encountered different parts of the comet and experienced changes in gravitational forces. The spacecraft has also used its thrusters to adjust its velocity as needed.

5. How does the orbital velocity of Rosetta affect its mission?

The orbital velocity of Rosetta is crucial to its mission as it allows the spacecraft to maintain a stable orbit around the comet and collect data and images. If the orbital velocity were too fast, the spacecraft could potentially crash into the comet, and if it were too slow, it could drift away from the comet.