Order of Magnitude Difference: Solving with Torricelli & Bernoulli

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Torricelli and Bernoulli equations in solving for velocity and the discrepancy between the two results. The correct approach is to use the equation ##v_T\approx \sqrt{2gh}\frac{A_B}{A_T}##, where ##A_B## and ##A_T## are the areas at the bottom and top, respectively. The conversation also highlights the importance of double-checking calculations in order to avoid wasting time.
maxolina
Homework Statement
A cylindrical open tank is filled with water, has a depth of 20 m and a hole at the bottom. The tank cross-sectional area is Atank=10 m^2 and the hole's area is Ahole=3x10^-3 m^2. Find the velocity of the fluid at the top surface.
Relevant Equations
EQ. OF CONTINUITY: A*V=constant
BERNOULLI: P+1/2*ro*v^2+ro*g*h=constant
TORRICELLI: V bottom = sqrt ( 2*g*h)
Solving with Torricelli I get Vt = 6x10^-3 m/s

Solving with Bernoulli I get Vt = 6x10^-4 m/s, a whole order of magnitude smaller.

How can it be correct? I know that Torricelli is an approximation, but the solution given by the book uses Torricelli which doesn't seem right to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
maxolina said:
Solving with Bernoulli I get Vt = 6x10^-4 m/s, a whole order of magnitude smaller.
Exactly how did you apply this to get the number? If I use subscript ##T## for "Top" and ##B## for "Bottom", I get $$p_T+\frac{1}{2}\rho~v_T^2+\rho ~g~h_T=p_B+\frac{1}{2}\rho~v_B^2+\rho ~g~h_B.$$Then I note that at the top and at the bottom (exit point) the pressures are the same and equal to atmospheric, ##p_T=p_B##, and the equation becomes $$\frac{1}{2}\rho~v_T^2+\rho ~g~h_T=\frac{1}{2}\rho~v_B^2+\rho ~g~h_B.$$ Now what do you think should be done to get a number?

Likes topsquark and berkeman
Ok here is what I did after your equation:

- delete ro*g*hb on the right side since Hb = 0
- remove all the ro (density)

I'm left with Vb^2 - Vt^2 = 2 g h

Using Eq. of continuity: AtVt = AbVb -> Vb = At/Ab * Vt

Then substitute inside Bernoulli and solve for Vt.

(At/Ab)^2 * Vt^2 - Vt^2 = 2 g h

Collect Vt:

Vt^2((At/Ab)^2 -1) = 2 g h

Solve for Vt:

Vt = sqrt ( 2 g h / (At/Ab)^2 -1) = sqrt ( 2*9.8*20 / (10/3*10^-3)^2-1)

Ignore the -1:

Vt = sqrt (400 / ((3.3*10^3)^2)) = 20 / 3 * 10^3 = 6 * 10^-4

##AtVt=AbVb=Ab\sqrt(2gh)##
##Vt=(Ab/At)\sqrt(2gh)##

When h is measured, Vt must be considered instantaneous; otherwise, h will decrease, as well as both velocities, as it actually happens.

maxolina said:
Ok here is what I did after your equation:

- delete ro*g*hb on the right side since Hb = 0
- remove all the ro (density)

I'm left with Vb^2 - Vt^2 = 2 g h

Using Eq. of continuity: AtVt = AbVb -> Vb = At/Ab * Vt

Then substitute inside Bernoulli and solve for Vt.

(At/Ab)^2 * Vt^2 - Vt^2 = 2 g h

Collect Vt:

Vt^2((At/Ab)^2 -1) = 2 g h

Solve for Vt:

Vt = sqrt ( 2 g h / (At/Ab)^2 -1) = sqrt ( 2*9.8*20 / (10/3*10^-3)^2-1)

Ignore the -1:

Vt = sqrt (400 / ((3.3*10^3)^2)) = 20 / 3 * 10^3 = 6 * 10^-4
You messed up the math in the end. If you ignore the -1, you get
$$v_T\approx \sqrt{2gh}\frac{A_B}{A_T}.$$ Now ##\sqrt{2gh}=20~##m/s. What is the ratio of the areas?

kuruman said:
You messed up the math in the end. If you ignore the -1, you get
$$v_T\approx \sqrt{2gh}\frac{A_B}{A_T}.$$ Now ##\sqrt{2gh}=20~##m/s. What is the ratio of the areas?

Oh my god I lost more than an hour over this.
Thank you!

maxolina said:
Oh my god I lost more than an hour over this.
Thank you!
Putting in the numbers at the very end is a good habit.

1. What is the order of magnitude difference?

The order of magnitude difference refers to the difference in size or quantity between two values that is expressed as a power of 10. It is used to compare values that are significantly different from each other.

2. How is Torricelli's theorem used to solve problems involving order of magnitude difference?

Torricelli's theorem is used to calculate the velocity of a fluid at a certain point, which can then be used to determine the pressure and flow rate. This information can be used to solve problems involving order of magnitude difference, such as determining the pressure difference between two points in a fluid system.

3. What is Bernoulli's equation and how is it related to order of magnitude difference?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid. It is used to describe the conservation of energy in a fluid system. The equation can be used to solve problems involving order of magnitude difference by comparing the pressure and velocity at different points in the system.

4. Can order of magnitude difference be applied to other areas of science besides fluid dynamics?

Yes, order of magnitude difference can be applied to various areas of science, such as astronomy, chemistry, and physics. It is a useful tool for comparing values that differ greatly in size or quantity.

5. How can understanding order of magnitude difference benefit scientific research?

Understanding order of magnitude difference can help scientists make accurate and efficient calculations, especially when dealing with large or small values. It can also aid in identifying significant differences between data points and determining the scale of a problem or phenomenon.