Orders of elements in a quotient group.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the orders of elements in various quotient groups, specifically Z_8/(Z_4 \times Z_4), (Z_4 \times Z_2)/(Z_2 \times Z_2), and D_8/(Z_2 \times Z_2). The attempted solutions involve determining the elements of these groups and their orders. However, it is pointed out that Z_2 \times Z_2 is not a subgroup of Z_8 and therefore cannot be used in the quotient group, while D_8 does have a subgroup isomorphic to Z_2 \times Z_2.
Artusartos

Homework Statement

I want to find the orders of the elements in [itex]Z_8/(Z_4 \times Z_4)[/itex], [itex](Z_4 \times Z_2)/(Z_2 \times Z_2)[/itex], and [itex]D_8/(Z_2 \times Z_2)[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The elements of [itex]Z_2 \times Z_2[/itex] are (0,0), (1,0), (0,1), (1,1), and the elements of [itex]Z_8[/itex] are of course 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

So elements of [itex]Z_8/(Z_2 \times Z_2)[/itex] must be of the form…

[tex] (0,0), (1,0), (0,1), (1,1) [/tex]
[tex]1+(0,0), 1+ (1,0), 1+ (0,1), 1+ (1,1) [/tex]
[tex]2+(0,0), 2+(1,0),2+ (0,1), 2+(1,1) [/tex]
[tex]3+(0,0), 3+(1,0), 3+(0,1), 3+(1,1) [/tex]

[tex]7+(0,0), 7+(1,0), 7+(0,1), 7+(1,1) [/tex]

But since the number we are adding to [itex]Z_2 \times Z_2[/itex] is mod 8, none of these are equal. So I don’t know how we have 2 elements [itex]Z_2 \times Z_2[/itex].

I’m having the same problem with [itex]D_8/(Z_2 \times Z_2)[itex].
We know that [itex]D_8 = \{e, b, b^2, b^3, a, ba, b^2a, b^3a \}[/itex]

[tex]b+(0,0), b+(1,0), b+ (0,1), b+(1,1)[/tex]

[tex]b^3a+(0,0), b^3a+(1,0), b^3a+(0,1), b^3a+(1,1)[/tex]

But, for example, we know that [itex]b[/itex] has order 4, right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Artusartos said:

Homework Statement

I want to find the orders of the elements in [itex]Z_8/(Z_4 \times Z_4)[/itex], [itex](Z_4 \times Z_2)/(Z_2 \times Z_2)[/itex], and [itex]D_8/(Z_2 \times Z_2)[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The elements of [itex]Z_2 \times Z_2[/itex] are (0,0), (1,0), (0,1), (1,1), and the elements of [itex]Z_8[/itex] are of course 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

So elements of [itex]Z_8/(Z_2 \times Z_2)[/itex] must be of the form…

[tex]1+(0,0), 1+ (1,0), 1+ (0,1), 1+ (1,1) [/tex]
[tex]2+(0,0), 2+(1,0),2+ (0,1), 2+(1,1) [/tex]
[tex]3+(0,0), 3+(1,0), 3+(0,1), 3+(1,1) [/tex]

[tex]7+(0,0), 7+(1,0), 7+(0,1), 7+(1,1) [/tex]

But since the number we are adding to [itex]Z_2 \times Z_2[/itex] is mod 8, none of these are equal. So I don’t know how we have 2 elements [itex]Z_2 \times Z_2[/itex].

I’m having the same problem with [itex]D_8/(Z_2 \times Z_2)[itex].
We know that [itex]D_8 = \{e, b, b^2, b^3, a, ba, b^2a, b^3a \}[/itex]

[tex]b+(0,0), b+(1,0), b+ (0,1), b+(1,1)[/tex]

[tex]b^3a+(0,0), b^3a+(1,0), b^3a+(0,1), b^3a+(1,1)[/tex]

But, for example, we know that [itex]b[/itex] has order 4, right?

Your first question doesn't make sense to me whatsoever. The quotient G/H is defined when H is a subgroup of G. [itex]Z_2 \times Z_2[/itex] is not a subgroup of ##Z_8##. It doesn't even have a subgroup isomorphic to [itex]Z_2 \times Z_2[/itex]. ##D_8## does so I think you can make some sense of that.

Dick said:
Your first question doesn't make sense to me whatsoever. The quotient G/H is defined when H is a subgroup of G. [itex]Z_2 \times Z_2[/itex] is not a subgroup of ##Z_8##. It doesn't even have a subgroup isomorphic to [itex]Z_2 \times Z_2[/itex]. ##D_8## does so I think you can make some sense of that.

Thanks a lot.

What is a quotient group?

A quotient group is a mathematical concept that arises in abstract algebra. It is formed by taking a group and dividing it by a normal subgroup, resulting in a new group with elements that are the cosets of the original group.

How is the order of elements determined in a quotient group?

The order of elements in a quotient group is determined by the order of the original group and the order of the normal subgroup being divided by. The order of an element in a quotient group is the smallest positive integer n such that gn is in the normal subgroup.

What is the significance of the order of elements in a quotient group?

The order of elements in a quotient group is important because it helps determine the structure and properties of the group. It can also be used to classify and identify different types of groups, such as cyclic or abelian groups.

Can the order of elements in a quotient group be larger than the order of the original group?

Yes, the order of elements in a quotient group can be larger than the order of the original group. This can happen when the normal subgroup being divided by has a larger order than the original group, resulting in cosets with more elements.

Is there a relationship between the order of elements in a quotient group and the order of the quotient group itself?

Yes, there is a relationship between the order of elements in a quotient group and the order of the quotient group itself. The order of the quotient group is equal to the order of the original group divided by the order of the normal subgroup. This relationship can be seen in the formula |G/N| = |G|/|N|, where |G| is the order of the original group and |N| is the order of the normal subgroup.