Organic Chemistry by Robert T. Morrison and Robert N. Boyd

In summary: This is what I exactly mean. I agree it is not concise. I'm not criticizing about its content in any way. In fact, no other org chem book can match up to the content it has but if you want to learn organic chemistry from the very beginning this is definitely not for you. For that I'd rather prefer Solomons over this book.

For those who have used this book

• Lightly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

User comments:
  • https://www.physicsforums.com/member.php?u=331656:
    I can't really say much about who needs it but i am in High School and i love this book. I guess there are no prerequisites for this book.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was introduced to organic chemistry by these authors. I still have one of the earlier editions it but don't reference it much. I'd probably use it exclusively if I were still tutoring chemistry though. I haven't seen the latest edition.

The latest 7th edition is the worst book for organic chemistry I have ever seen. Everything has been made compact compromising with the quality of the text. I'd rather suggest you to go for Solomons and Fryhle. It is the best book for beginners.

utkarshakash said:
The latest 7th edition is the worst book for organic chemistry I have ever seen. Everything has been made compact compromising with the quality of the text. I'd rather suggest you to go for Solomons and Fryhle. It is the best book for beginners.
When the 7th Edition come. The International Student Edition is on 6th yet.[check amazon]

utkarshakash said:

Really? I have completed this book (except biomolecules :P) and so far I have loved it. I don't think there is any reduction in the content. Both the editions are same, the 7th one is just a "rearranged" edition of the 6th.

And did someone list the book Organic Chemistry by Solomons and Fryhle?

Isaac-Newton said:
When the 7th Edition come. The International Student Edition is on 6th yet.[check amazon]

The 7th edition is the one published in India.

Isaac-Newton said:

Actually it is released only in India for Indian students.

Pranav-Arora said:
Really? I have completed this book (except biomolecules :P) and so far I have loved it. I don't think there is any reduction in the content. Both the editions are same, the 7th one is just a "rearranged" edition of the 6th.

And did someone list the book Organic Chemistry by Solomons and Fryhle?

The 7th edition is the one published in India.

I am amazed how you are able to understand with such a concise book!

utkarshakash said:
This book is not concise I have 6th Indian Edition but this is very fat comparing to J D Lee Inorganic. Also if you are using this as a self study book then the chances of getting Knowledge from this book is very Low.Read it as a second Reference Book.

utkarshakash said:

I don't find it, in any way, concise. It covers almost every topic in detail. Due to lack of reactions which I encounter while solving problems, I had to buy another book.

Snow-Leopard said:
This book is not concise I have 6th Indian Edition but this is very fat comparing to J D Lee Inorganic. Also if you are using this as a self study book then the chances of getting Knowledge from this book is very Low.Read it as a second Reference Book.

This is what I exactly mean. I agree it is not concise. I'm not criticizing about its content in any way. In fact, no other org chem book can match up to the content it has but if you want to learn organic chemistry from the very beginning this is definitely not for you. For that I'd rather prefer Solomons over this book.

1. What is the purpose of studying Organic Chemistry?

The main purpose of studying Organic Chemistry is to understand the structure, properties, and reactions of organic compounds. These compounds make up the majority of chemicals found in living organisms and are essential for life processes. Additionally, the knowledge gained from studying Organic Chemistry is also applied in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, and agriculture.

2. Who are the authors of "Organic Chemistry" by Robert T. Morrison and Robert N. Boyd?

The authors of "Organic Chemistry" are Robert T. Morrison and Robert N. Boyd. Morrison was a professor of Organic Chemistry at Cornell University, while Boyd was a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Together, they have written several editions of this popular textbook, which has been widely used in universities around the world.

3. What are some key topics covered in "Organic Chemistry" by Robert T. Morrison and Robert N. Boyd?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics such as structure, bonding, stereochemistry, reactions, mechanisms, and synthesis of organic compounds. It also includes chapters on biomolecules, natural products, and polymers. Additionally, the book provides a strong foundation in spectroscopic techniques and their applications in organic chemistry.

4. Is "Organic Chemistry" by Robert T. Morrison and Robert N. Boyd suitable for beginners?

Yes, the textbook is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics of organic chemistry and gradually builds upon the concepts. The authors have also included many examples and practice problems to help students understand the material better. However, it is recommended to have a solid understanding of general chemistry before diving into Organic Chemistry.

5. Are there any online resources available for "Organic Chemistry" by Robert T. Morrison and Robert N. Boyd?

Yes, there are several online resources available for the textbook, including lecture notes, practice quizzes, and study guides. These resources can be found on the official website of the publisher or through various educational platforms. Additionally, the authors have also published a solutions manual for the textbook, which can be a helpful tool for students studying Organic Chemistry.