Organic II Q's - EAS, sulfur as protecting group, fischer esterification

In summary, the conversation covers topics such as the limitations of Friedel-Crafts Acylations/Alkylations in terms of electron donating groups, the use of dithiol compounds for protecting aldehydes and ketones, and the effect of base on the equilibrium constant between a carbonyl and hydrate. The discussion also touches on the potential contamination of reagents in a lab setting and the potential use of oxygen groups instead of sulfur groups in creating carbanions.
sumzup
  • My understanding is that for EAS, Friedel-Crafts Acylations/Alkylations will only work for halobenzenes or better (in terms of electron donating groups). Does this mean that F-C won't work for a halobenzene that also has a nitro group on it, due to the extreme withdrawing effects of the nitro group?
  • I know that compounds like 1,2-ethanediol can be used to protect aldehydes and ketones; since sulfur is in the same group as oxygen and reacts similarly, can something like HOCH2CH2SH or HSCH2CH2SH be used to protect aldehydes/ketones?
  • On a related note, is the protecting of aldehydes/ketones affected by the Khydrate (just like with addition of KCN or NaCN to a carbonyl group)?
  • When performing fischer esterification for a lab recently, most people's reactions turned purple (although mine didn't, for some reason); my TA mentioned that it had something to do with the sulfuric acid. Why/how would this be the case?

Oh, and just to be clear, these aren't homework questions. Just stuff I want to know the answers to.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
sumzup said:
[*]My understanding is that for EAS, Friedel-Crafts Acylations/Alkylations will only work for halobenzenes or better (in terms of electron donating groups). Does this mean that F-C won't work for a halobenzene that also has a nitro group on it, due to the extreme withdrawing effects of the nitro group?

I'd say yes, halogens don't really pi donate that much (and have sigma withdrawing properties) while NO2 groups have a lot of sigma and pi withdrawal. I'm not 100% certain though, I'll see what I can dig up.

sumzup said:
[*]I know that compounds like 1,2-ethanediol can be used to protect aldehydes and ketones; since sulfur is in the same group as oxygen and reacts similarly, can something like HOCH2CH2SH or HSCH2CH2SH be used to protect aldehydes/ketones?

Dithiol compounds definitely work and actually offer a very handy way to create carbanions, google Umpolung (I may have spelled that wrong but I'm sure you'll get to the appropriate site).

sumzup said:
[*] On a related note, is the protecting of aldehydes/ketones affected by the Khydrate (just like with addition of KCN or NaCN to a carbonyl group)?

I don't really understand what you mean here?

sumzup said:
[*]When performing fischer esterification for a lab recently, most people's reactions turned purple (although mine didn't, for some reason); my TA mentioned that it had something to do with the sulfuric acid. Why/how would this be the case?

Labs are funny things especially when you have 20-30 kids running around and a shelf of reagents prepared by someone you don't know, which may have been standing for god knows long. I'd wager some type of contamination or something along the lines of "someone screwed something up."

Yanick said:
I'd say yes, halogens don't really pi donate that much (and have sigma withdrawing properties) while NO2 groups have a lot of sigma and pi withdrawal. I'm not 100% certain though, I'll see what I can dig up.

Thanks, I thought that might be the case.

Dithiol compounds definitely work and actually offer a very handy way to create carbanions, google Umpolung (I may have spelled that wrong but I'm sure you'll get to the appropriate site).

That is the most fascinating organic chemistry thing I have learned in some time. Do you know what would happen if you just used oxygen groups instead of sulfur groups? Would the base added to create the carbanion end up reacting with the acetal somehow?

I don't really understand what you mean here?

I'm just taking about the equilibrium constant between a carbonyl and the hydrate; our professor told us that NaCN is only likely to react with compounds that have that constant as 0.001 (acetone) or better.

Labs are funny things especially when you have 20-30 kids running around and a shelf of reagents prepared by someone you don't know, which may have been standing for god knows long. I'd wager some type of contamination or something along the lines of "someone screwed something up."

You're probably right. It was just really weird that mine was the only one that didn't turn purple (it still worked, although I was saddened that I didn't get banana ester).

1. What is EAS in organic chemistry?

EAS stands for Electrophilic Aromatic Substitution, which is a reaction where an electrophile attacks an aromatic ring and replaces one of its hydrogen atoms.

2. How is sulfur used as a protecting group in organic synthesis?

Sulfur can be used as a protecting group for alcohols, where it is added to the hydroxyl group to form a sulfonate ester. This protects the alcohol from reacting during other reactions, and can be easily removed later on.

3. What is the Fischer esterification reaction?

The Fischer esterification reaction is a method for synthesizing esters from carboxylic acids and alcohols in the presence of an acid catalyst. It is named after its discoverer, German chemist Emil Fischer.

4. Can sulfur-containing compounds be used in Fischer esterification?

Yes, sulfur-containing compounds such as thiol and thioester can be used in Fischer esterification reactions. However, they may require different reaction conditions and catalysts compared to traditional Fischer esterification reactions.

5. What are some common applications of sulfur-containing compounds in organic chemistry?

Sulfur-containing compounds have many applications in organic chemistry, including as protecting groups, reducing agents, and catalysts. They are also commonly found in pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and materials chemistry.