Orthogonal complement of even functions

In summary: Thus, ##(C([-1,1]))^\bot## is the set of all odd functions. In summary, the orthogonal complement of the subspace of even functions in the vector space ##C([-1,1])## is the set of all odd functions.
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Let the ##\mathbb R##- vector space ##C([-1,1])=\{f:[-1,1] \to \mathbb R\ : f \space \text{is continuous}\ \}## with the inner product ##<f,g>=\int_{-1}^1 f(t)g(t)dt##. Determine the orthogonal complement of the subspace of even functions (call that subspace ##S##).

The attempt at a solution.

Straight from the definition of orthogonal complement, ##g \in (C([-1,1]))^\bot## if and only if ##\int_{-1}^1 g(t)f(t)dt=0## for all ##f## even function. By hypothesis, ##f(-t)=f(t)##, so ##\int_{-1}^1 g(t)f(-t)dt=0## From this condition I don't know what else to conclude. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Some things to try:

1) The function ##f(x) = 1## for all ##x## is an even function. We want an element of ##S## to be orthogonal to that, what does that imply for functions in ##S##?

2) Can you give some (nontrivial) examples of functions in ##S##?

Likes 1 person
micromass said:
Some things to try:

1) The function ##f(x) = 1## for all ##x## is an even function. We want an element of ##S## to be orthogonal to that, what does that imply for functions in ##S##?

2) Can you give some (nontrivial) examples of functions in ##S##?

Hmm, for 1), the only thing I can think of is something that follows trivially, which is: ##\int_{-1}^1 g(t)dt=0##.

2) Yes, I can think of ##\sin(x)##, which is an odd function. Suppose ##g## is odd, then ##\int_{-1}^1 g(-t)f(-t)dt=-\int_{-1}^1 g(t)f(t)dt=0## since ##g(-t)=-g(t)## and ##f(-t)=f(t)##, then the set of odd functions (subspace) is included in ##S##.

Is there any other function which belongs to ##S##? I don't know what you are trying to insinuate me in 1).

mahler1 said:
Hmm, for 1), the only thing I can think of is something that follows trivially, which is: ##\int_{-1}^1 g(t)dt=0##.

2) Yes, I can think of ##sin(x)##, which is an odd function. Suppose ##g## is odd, then ##\int_{-1}^1 g(-t)f(-t)dt=-\int_{-1}^1 g(t)f(t)dt 0## since ##g(-t)=-g(t)## and ##f(-t)=f(t)##, then the set of odd functions (subspace) is included in ##S##.

Is there any other function which belongs to ##S##? I don't know what you are trying to insinuate me in 1).

Forget about (1), it was just to give you some more intuition.

But it seems you now have a good conjecture. Is ##S## exactly the set of odd functions or not? I think you should try to prove that it is.

Likes 1 person
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Let the ##\mathbb R##- vector space ##C([-1,1])=\{f:[-1,1] \to \mathbb R\ : f \space \text{is continuous}\ \}## with the inner product ##<f,g>=\int_{-1}^1 f(t)g(t)dt##. Determine the orthogonal complement of the subspace of even functions (call that subspace ##S##).

The attempt at a solution.

Straight from the definition of orthogonal complement, ##g \in (C([-1,1]))^\bot## if and only if ##\int_{-1}^1 g(t)f(t)dt=0## for all ##f \in S##. By hypothesis, ##f(-t)=f(t)##, so ##\int_{-1}^1 g(t)f(-t)dt=0## From this condition I don't know what else to conclude. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Every function can be written as the sum of an even function and an odd function. Thus, given an arbitrary [itex]g \in C([-1,1])[/itex], we have [itex]g = f + h[/itex] where [itex]f \in S[/itex] and [itex]h[/itex] is odd. It would be worth looking at [tex]
\int_{-1}^1 f(x)g(x)\,dx = \int_{-1}^1 f(x)^2\,dx + \int_{-1}^1 f(x)h(x)\,dx.
[/tex]

Likes 2 people
pasmith said:
Every function can be written as the sum of an even function and an odd function. Thus, given an arbitrary [itex]g \in C([-1,1])[/itex], we have [itex]g = f + h[/itex] where [itex]f \in S[/itex] and [itex]h[/itex] is odd. It would be worth looking at [tex]
\int_{-1}^1 f(x)g(x)\,dx = \int_{-1}^1 f(x)^2\,dx + \int_{-1}^1 f(x)h(x)\,dx.
[/tex]

I want to check if this is correct:

Taking your suggestion, ## \int_{-1}^1 f(x)^2\,dx + \int_{-1}^1 f(x)h(x)\,dx=\int_{-1}^1 f(x)^2\,dx =\int_{-1}^0 f(x)^2\,dx + \int_0^1 f(x)^2\,dx##. Making the substitution ##x=-t##, I get ##\int_{-1}^0 f(x)^2\,dx + \int_0^1 f(x)^2\,dx=-\int_1^0 f(-u)du+ \int_0^1 f(x)^2\,dx=\int_0^1 f(u)du+ \int_0^1 f(x)^2\,dx=2\int_0^1 f(x)^2\,dx##

But this means ##\int_0^1 f(x)^2\,dx=0 \implies f^2(x)=0 \implies f(x)=0##. From here it follows ##g=h##, but ##h## is an odd function so ##g## is odd.

1. What is the definition of orthogonal complement of even functions?

The orthogonal complement of even functions is a subspace in which all functions are orthogonal to every even function in the original space. In other words, it is the set of all functions that are perpendicular to even functions.

2. How is the orthogonal complement of even functions related to the concept of symmetry?

The concept of symmetry plays a crucial role in understanding the orthogonal complement of even functions. Since even functions are symmetric about the y-axis, their orthogonal complement consists of functions that are symmetric about the origin (0,0).

3. Can the orthogonal complement of even functions contain odd functions?

No, the orthogonal complement of even functions cannot contain odd functions. This is because odd functions are not orthogonal to even functions and therefore, do not belong in the orthogonal complement subspace.

4. How is the orthogonal complement of even functions useful in solving mathematical problems?

The orthogonal complement of even functions is useful in solving problems related to linear algebra, functional analysis, and signal processing. It helps in finding the best approximations to a given function and also in decomposing a function into its even and odd components.

5. Can the orthogonal complement of even functions be visualized geometrically?

Yes, the orthogonal complement of even functions can be visualized geometrically as the set of all functions that are perpendicular to the set of even functions. This can be represented as a plane perpendicular to the y-axis in the three-dimensional coordinate system.