Orthogonality of Stationary States

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the stationary eigenstates of a particle in an infinite square well are mutually orthogonal. The formula ##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \delta_{m,n}## is used to show this, but the integral is incorrect when ##m = n##. The integral for this case, ##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} \phi^*_m \phi_n = \delta_{m,n}##, is computed separately.
BOAS

Homework Statement

I'm going back through some homework as revision, and came across this problem. It was marked as correct, but now I'm thinking it's unconvincing...

For a particle in an infinite square well, with ##V = 0 , 0 \leq x \leq L##, prove that the stationary eigenstates are mutually orthogonal.

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \delta_{m,n}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The stationary eigenstates are given by ##\phi_n (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x##, and since the complex conjugate of a real function is just itself,

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \frac{2}{L} \int^L_0 \sin \frac{m \pi }{L}x \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x##.

Using the identity that ##\sin u \sin v = \frac{1}{2} [\cos (u-v) - \cos (u+v)]##

##\frac{2}{L} \int^L_0 \sin \frac{m \pi }{L}x \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x = \frac{1}{L} \int^L_0 dx [\cos (\frac{(m-n)\pi}{L}x) - \cos (\frac{(m+n)\pi}{L}x)]##

Evaluating this I find that

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \frac{1}{\pi} [\frac{\sin ((m-n)\pi)}{m - n} - \frac{\sin ((m+n)\pi)}{m+n}]##

Here I just said that this is zero for ##m \neq n##

The arguments of the sine functions are zero, regardless of whether or not ##m = n##, so what's missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:

Homework Statement

I'm going back through some homework as revision, and came across this problem. It was marked as correct, but now I'm thinking it's unconvincing...

For a particle in an infinite square well, with ##V = 0 , 0 \leq x \leq L##, prove that the stationary eigenstates are mutually orthogonal.

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \delta_{m,n}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The stationary eigenstates are given by ##\phi_n (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x##, and since the complex conjugate of a real function is just itself,

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \frac{2}{L} \int^L_0 \sin \frac{m \pi }{L}x \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x##.

Using the identity that ##\sin u \sin v = \frac{1}{2} [\cos (u-v) - \cos (u+v)]##

##\frac{2}{L} \int^L_0 \sin \frac{m \pi }{L}x \sin \frac{n \pi}{L}x = \frac{1}{L} \int^L_0 dx [\cos (\frac{(m-n)\pi}{L}x) - \cos (\frac{(m+n)\pi}{L}x)]##

Evaluating this I find that

##\int^{\infty}_{\infty} dx \phi^*_m \phi_n = \frac{1}{\pi} [\frac{\sin ((m-n)\pi)}{m - n} - \frac{\sin ((m+n)\pi)}{m+n}]##

Here I just said that this is zero for ##m \neq n##

The arguments of the sine functions are zero, regardless of whether or not ##m = n##, so what's missing here?
When ##m=n##, you can't divide by ##m-n##, as you do in your computation.

Do the integral for ##m=n## separately.

Samy_A said:

Samy_A said:

Ah, I see.

For the case ##m = n## i'll have an integral of ##sin^2 (\frac{n \pi}{L} x)##

Thank you

What is the concept of orthogonality of stationary states?

The concept of orthogonality of stationary states is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics. It states that the wavefunctions of two stationary states of a quantum system are perpendicular to each other, meaning that they have no overlap or interference. This principle is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

How is the orthogonality of stationary states related to the superposition principle?

The superposition principle states that the wavefunction of a quantum system can be described as a linear combination of multiple stationary states. The orthogonality of stationary states ensures that when these stationary states are combined, they do not interfere with each other, allowing for the accurate prediction of the system's behavior.

Why is the orthogonality of stationary states important in quantum mechanics?

The orthogonality of stationary states is important because it allows for the calculation of probabilities in quantum systems. By determining the overlap of different stationary states, we can calculate the likelihood of a particle being in a certain state at a given time. This principle is also crucial in understanding the wave nature of particles in quantum mechanics.

How is the orthogonality of stationary states experimentally verified?

The orthogonality of stationary states can be experimentally verified by performing measurements on a quantum system. By measuring the state of a particle, we can determine the probability of it being in a certain state. The results of these measurements can then be compared to the theoretical predictions based on the orthogonality of stationary states.

Are there any exceptions to the orthogonality of stationary states?

There are some cases where the orthogonality of stationary states may not hold. For example, in systems with time-dependent potentials, the stationary states may not be strictly orthogonal. Additionally, in some cases, the wavefunctions may have a small amount of overlap, which can lead to interference effects. However, the principle of orthogonality of stationary states remains a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.