Orthogonality of Wannier functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in reconciling the orthogonality condition for Wannier functions between continuous and discrete k-space. The speaker is using the provided definitions of Wannier and Bloch functions from Wikipedia and is attempting to transform the summation over k-point to an integral representation. However, they are unable to regain the expected orthogonality behavior and are seeking clarification on their calculations. The conversation also touches on the use of delta functions in the transformation from discrete to continuous k-space and the potential for an N dependent prefactor.
Sheng
I have trouble reconciling orthogonality condition for Wannier functions using both continuous and discrete k-space. I am using the definition of Wannier function and Bloch function as provided by Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wannier_function).

Wannier function:
932157a1333c5d1ae194c9c2be0c6b92.png
Bloch function:
a8588ba72f73bd2e8764f19937721139.png

I can understand the orthogonality condition for Wannier functions in the discrete k-space as provided in Wikipedia:
f1f492e4f7c73214620aa6842437c0c0.png
But when I transform the summation over k-point to the integral representation using the relation:
$$ \sum_{\mathbf{k}} \rightarrow \frac{N\Omega}{(2\pi)^3} \int_{BZ} d\mathbf{k} $$
where N is the number of unit cell and ##\Omega## is the primitive cell volume, so that
$$ \phi_{n\mathbf{R}}(\mathbf{r}) = \frac{\sqrt{N}\Omega}{(2\pi)^3} \int_{BZ} e^{-i\mathbf{k \cdot R}} \psi_{n\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r}) d\mathbf{k} $$
which I cannot regain the orthogonality behaviour.

These are my calculations:
$$
\langle \phi_{n\mathbf{R}}(\mathbf{r}) \vert \phi_{m\mathbf{R'}}(\mathbf{r}) \rangle = N \left( \frac{\Omega}{(2\pi)^3} \right) ^2 \int_V \int_{BZ} \int_{BZ} e^{i\mathbf{k \cdot R}} e^{-i\mathbf{k' \cdot R'}} \psi^*_{n\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r}) \psi_{m\mathbf{k'}}(\mathbf{r}) d\mathbf{k'} d\mathbf{k} d\mathbf{r}
$$
where V is the total volume included in the Born von Karman periodic boundary condition. Using
$$
\int_V \psi^*_{n\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r}) \psi_{m\mathbf{k'}}(\mathbf{r}) d\mathbf{r} = \delta_{mn}\delta(\mathbf{k-k'})
$$
I get
$$
\langle \phi_{n\mathbf{R}}(\mathbf{r}) \vert \phi_{m\mathbf{R'}}(\mathbf{r}) \rangle = N \left( \frac{\Omega}{(2\pi)^3} \right) ^2 \int_{BZ} \int_{BZ} e^{i\mathbf{k \cdot R}} e^{-i\mathbf{k' \cdot R'}} \delta_{mn} \delta(\mathbf{k-k'}) d\mathbf{k'} d\mathbf{k}
$$
Using (I don't know this one is correct or not)
$$
\int_{BZ} e^{-i\mathbf{k' \cdot R'}} \delta(\mathbf{k-k'}) d\mathbf{k'} = \frac{(2\pi)^3}{\Omega} e^{-i\mathbf{k \cdot R'}}
$$
then
$$
\langle \phi_{n\mathbf{R}}(\mathbf{r}) \vert \phi_{m\mathbf{R'}}(\mathbf{r}) \rangle = \delta_{mn} N \frac{\Omega}{(2\pi)^3} \int_{BZ} e^{i\mathbf{k \cdot (R-R')}} d\mathbf{k}
$$
With
$$
\frac{\Omega}{(2\pi)^3} \int_{BZ} e^{i\mathbf{k \cdot (R-R')}} d\mathbf{k} = \delta_{\mathbf{R,R'}}
$$
Finally I get
$$
\langle \phi_{n\mathbf{R}}(\mathbf{r}) \vert \phi_{m\mathbf{R'}}(\mathbf{r}) \rangle = N \delta_{mn} \delta_{\mathbf{R,R'}}
$$
which contains an additional term N.

Anyone can point out my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sheng said:
$$
\int_{BZ} e^{-i\mathbf{k' \cdot R'}} \delta(\mathbf{k-k'}) d\mathbf{k'} = e^{-i\mathbf{k \cdot R'}}
$$

Thanks for your reply. I am tempted to use that one because it is closer to the solution I want. But even then the final form is just
$$
\langle \phi_{n\mathbf{R}}(\mathbf{r}) \vert \phi_{m\mathbf{R'}}(\mathbf{r}) \rangle = N \frac{\Omega}{(2\pi)^3} \delta_{mn} \delta_{\mathbf{R,R'}}
$$
which differs from the discrete version.

I figure that this question contains more fundamental aspect I might want to be sure of first, before I continue to tackle the previous question.
Thank you.

Sheng said:
I
But when I transform the summation over k-point to the integral representation using the relation:
$$ \sum_{\mathbf{k}} \rightarrow \frac{N\Omega}{(2\pi)^3} \int_{BZ} d\mathbf{k} $$
Why only BZ on the RHS?

It is not? It is in accordance with that on Wikipedia
38e38263c62f4517ff8d703257591575.png
##\Omega## in this case is the Brillouin zone volume. Most of the references I consult automatically limit the integration region to the first Brillouin zone.

If not then how do I limit the integration region to only the first Brillouin zone? Using the same concept as in real space like introducing ## \mathbf{k \rightarrow k+G} ## and ## \sum_{\mathbf{G}} ## ?

If ##k_i=2\pi n_i/L## with ##V=L^3## being the crystal volume (##V=N\Omega##), then ##\sum_\mathbf{k}=\sum_\mathbf{n}=\frac{V}{(2\pi)^3} \sum_n \frac{(2\pi)^3}{V}=\frac{V}{(2\pi)^3} \int d\mathbf{n} \frac{(2\pi)^3}{V}=\frac{V}{(2\pi)^3} \int d\mathbf{k} ##.
If the integrand is periodic, then ##\int_V d\mathbf{k}=N\int_{BZ} d\mathbf{k}##.

Ok so now ## \sum_{\mathbf{k}} \rightarrow \frac{N^2\Omega}{(2\pi)^3} \int_{BZ} d\mathbf{k} ## and
$$
\phi_{n\mathbf{R}}(\mathbf{r}) = \frac{N^{3/2}\Omega}{(2\pi)^3} \int_{BZ} e^{-i\mathbf{k \cdot R}} \psi_{n\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r}) d\mathbf{k}
$$
and the final form become
$$
\langle \phi_{n\mathbf{R}}(\mathbf{r}) \vert \phi_{m\mathbf{R'}}(\mathbf{r}) \rangle = N^3 \frac{\Omega}{(2\pi)^3} \delta_{mn} \delta_{\mathbf{R,R'}}
$$
which I feel weird.

$$
\frac{N\Omega}{(2\pi)^3} \int_{BZ} e^{i\mathbf{k \cdot (R-R')}} d\mathbf{k} = \delta_{\mathbf{R,R'}}
$$

Sheng said:
Using
$$
\int_V \psi^*_{n\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r}) \psi_{m\mathbf{k'}}(\mathbf{r}) d\mathbf{r} = \delta_{mn}\delta(\mathbf{k-k'})
$$
That's also not correct, you have
$$
\int_V \psi^*_{n\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r}) \psi_{m\mathbf{k'}}(\mathbf{r}) d\mathbf{r} = \delta_{mn}\delta_{kk'}
$$
and you can't simply replace Kronecker by Dirac.

Since ##
\sum_\mathbf{k}=\sum_\mathbf{n}=\frac{V}{(2\pi)^3} \sum_n \frac{(2\pi)^3}{V}=\frac{V}{(2\pi)^3} \int d\mathbf{n} \frac{(2\pi)^3}{V}=\frac{V}{(2\pi)^3} \int d\mathbf{k}
##
we have made a transformation from discrete k to continuous k, then why can't we use dirac delta function?

You can, but there will be an N dependent prefactor

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the summation on k is restricted to first Brillouin zone only, in that case does ## \sum_{\mathbf{k} \in BZ} \rightarrow \frac{N\Omega}{(2\pi)^3} \int_{BZ} d\mathbf{k} ##
apply? I mean directly restricting the integration region to BZ.

DrDu said:
$$
\frac{N\Omega}{(2\pi)^3} \int_{BZ} e^{i\mathbf{k \cdot (R-R')}} d\mathbf{k} = \delta_{\mathbf{R,R'}}
$$
I have some doubts on this.

From Ashcroft and Mermin's Solid State Physics Appendix F, it is given that
$$
\sum_{\mathbf{k} \in BZ} e^{i\mathbf{k \cdot R}} = N \delta_{\mathbf{R},0}
$$
if the above transformation is true then
$$
\frac{\Omega}{(2\pi)^3} \int_{BZ} e^{i\mathbf{k \cdot (R-R')}} d\mathbf{k} = \delta_{\mathbf{R,R'}}
$$
is it?

DrDu said:
You can, but there will be an N dependent prefactor
Care to provide some reasoning on this?

Sheng said:
No, that's your job!
Do not simply take over some equations from books or even worse, Wikipedia. They may use different conventions. Try to count the number of k states in the BZ. Transform the sums to integrals as I have shown you. Use the basic relations for delta functions and Kronecker delta.

Sheng said:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the summation on k is restricted to first Brillouin zone only, in that case does ## \sum_{\mathbf{k} \in BZ} \rightarrow \frac{N\Omega}{(2\pi)^3} \int_{BZ} d\mathbf{k} ##
apply? I mean directly restricting the integration region to BZ.
Ok, this removes at least two of the dubious N's.
I have some doubts on this.

From Ashcroft and Mermin's Solid State Physics Appendix F, it is given that
$$
\sum_{\mathbf{k} \in BZ} e^{i\mathbf{k \cdot R}} = N \delta_{\mathbf{R},0}
$$
if the above transformation is true then
$$
$$
is it?
Yes, I think this is correct and maybe I stepped in the same trap as you did. Namely I assumed that ##\delta(R-R')=\delta_{R,R'}##.
So I think the problem is that you changed ##\delta_{k,k'}## to ##\delta(k-k')##.
But ##\sum_k \delta_{k,0}=1## while ##V/(2\pi)^3 \int_{BZ} dk \delta(k)=V/(2\pi)^3##. So you should substitute ##\delta_{k,k'}\to (2\pi)^3/V \delta(k-k')##

1. What are Wannier functions?

Wannier functions are a set of orthogonal functions that are used to describe the electron density and energy levels in a solid material. They are derived from the Bloch functions, which describe the electronic states in a periodic solid, and provide a localized representation of the electronic states within a unit cell.

2. What does it mean for Wannier functions to be orthogonal?

Orthogonality of Wannier functions means that they are mathematically independent of each other and have no overlap. This allows for a unique and complete description of the electronic states in a solid material, as each Wannier function represents a different energy level and electron density within the unit cell.

3. How is the orthogonality of Wannier functions ensured?

The orthogonality of Wannier functions is ensured through a unitary transformation of the Bloch functions, which eliminates any overlap between the Wannier functions. This transformation is based on the symmetry of the crystal lattice and results in a set of Wannier functions that are mutually orthogonal.

4. What is the significance of the orthogonality of Wannier functions?

The orthogonality of Wannier functions allows for a simplified and efficient description of the electronic states in a solid material. It also allows for the use of Wannier functions in various calculations, such as band structure calculations and simulations of material properties.

5. Can Wannier functions be non-orthogonal?

In theory, Wannier functions can be non-orthogonal, but this would result in a less accurate and complete description of the electronic states in a solid material. Therefore, the orthogonality of Wannier functions is a crucial aspect of their use in materials science and solid state physics.