High-field Hall effect and magnetoresistance

Your Name] In summary, the forum post discusses the semiclassical model of electron dynamics, specifically the current density and velocity components perpendicular to the magnetic field. The forum poster asks two questions regarding this topic, to which the expert responds that in the given case, the current density and velocity components cannot be approximated and the current flow only lies along the direction of the open orbit in real space in the high-field limit. The expert also mentions that the value of ##\mathbf{E}\cdot\hat{\mathbf{n}}## depends on the specific system and cannot always be assumed to be zero.
Philethan
I'm reading Mermin's Solid State Physics, chapter 12: The semiclasssical model of electron dynamics. I know the current density from the ##n## band is

$$ \mathbf{j}=(-e)\int_{\text{occupied}}f(\epsilon_{\text{n}}(\mathbf{k}))\frac{d\mathbf{k}}{4\pi^3}\mathbf{v}_{\text{n}}(\mathbf{k}). $$
In addition, for the velocity component which is perpendicular to magnetic field, it is:
$$ \mathbf{v}_{\text{n},\perp } \approx\frac{\mathbf{r}_{\perp}(0)-\mathbf{r}_{\perp}(-\tau)}{\tau}=-\frac{\hbar c}{eH}\hat{H}\times\frac{\mathbf{k}(0)-\mathbf{k}(-\tau)}{\tau}+c\frac{E}{H}(\hat{E}\times\hat{H})$$
Therefore,
$$\mathbf{j}_{\perp}\approx(-e)\int_{\text{occupied}}f(\epsilon_{\text{n}}(\mathbf{k}))\frac{d\mathbf{k}}{4\pi^3}\underbrace{\left\{\left[-\frac{\hbar c}{eH}\hat{H}\times\frac{\mathbf{k}(0)-\mathbf{k}(-\tau)}{\tau}+c\frac{E}{H}(\hat{E}\times\hat{H})\right]\right\}}_{\mathbf{v}_{\text{n},\perp}(\mathbf{k})}$$
If some of the occupied and unoccupied levels lie on orbits that do not close on themselves, but are extended or "open" in ##k##-space, then the first term at the right-hand side of ##\mathbf{v}_{\text{n},\perp}## cannot be neglected. Therefore, the following derivation would be incorrect:
$$\mathbf{j}_{\perp}\approx(-e)(\mathbf{v}_{\text{n},\perp})\underbrace{\left[\int_{\text{occupied}}f(\epsilon_{\text{n}}(\mathbf{k}))\frac{d\mathbf{k}}{4\pi^3}\right]}_{n(\text{electron carrier number density})}=-ne\mathbf{v}_{\text{n},\perp}$$

My first question is, I think in the above case, ##\mathbf{j}_{\perp}\neq-ne\mathbf{v}##, and thus ##\mathbf{j}_{\perp}\neq \mathbf{\sigma}\cdot\mathbf{E}##. Is that correct? I know the reason why ##\mathbf{j}_{\text{n}}=\mathbf{\sigma}\cdot\mathbf{E}## holds is the semiclassical equations of motion:
$$\mathbf{v}_{\text{n}}(\mathbf{k})=\frac{1}{\hbar}\nabla_{\mathbf{k}}\epsilon_{\text{n}}(\mathbf{k})$$
and
$$\hbar\dot{\mathbf{k}}=(-e)\left[\mathbf{E}(\mathbf{r},t)+\frac{1}{c}\mathbf{v}_{\text{n}}(\mathbf{k})\times\mathbf{H}(\mathbf{r},t)\right]$$
Therefore, perhaps we can approximate ##\mathbf{v}_{n}(\mathbf{k})## as this:
$$\mathbf{v}_{n}(\mathbf{k})\approx\cfrac{\int_{occupied}f(\epsilon_{\text{n}}(\mathbf{k}))\frac{d\mathbf{k}}{4\pi^3}\mathbf{v}_{\text{n}}(\mathbf{k})}{\int_{\text{occupied}}f(\epsilon_{\text{n}}(\mathbf{k}))\frac{d\mathbf{k}}{4\pi^3}}=\cfrac{\int_{occupied}f(\epsilon_{\text{n}}(\mathbf{k}))\frac{d\mathbf{k}}{4\pi^3}\mathbf{v}_{\text{n}}(\mathbf{k})}{n_{\text{electron}}}$$However, how to know its error? How to judge this approximation?And my second question is, from (12.56)
$$\mathbf{j}=\sigma^{(0)}\hat{\mathbf{n}}(\hat{\mathbf{n}}\cdot\mathbf{E})+\mathbf{\sigma}^{(1)}\cdot\mathbf{E},\begin{cases}\sigma^{(0)}\to\text{constant as }H\to\infty\\\sigma^{(1)}\to0\text{ as }H\to\infty\end{cases}$$
It seems that the current flow "always" lie along the direction ##\hat{\mathbf{n}}## of the open orbit in real space (I think ##\hat{n}## is the direction of ##\hat{H}\times\left[\mathbf{k}(0)-\mathbf{k}(-\tau)\right]##), but authors said

Because of (12.56) this is possible in the high-field limit only if the projection of the electric field on ##\hat{\mathbf{n}}##, ##\mathbf{E}\cdot\hat{\mathbf{n}}##, vanishes. (page 237-238)

It makes me think ##\mathbf{E}\cdot\hat{\mathbf{n}}## always naturally vanish. Does authors talk about a special case? Or ##\mathbf{E}\cdot\hat{\mathbf{n}}## really "always" vanish? If it's just a special case, then how to know whether ##\mathbf{E}\cdot\hat{\mathbf{n}}## is zero?Sorry for my bad English, thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up these questions regarding Mermin's Solid State Physics. I will try my best to answer them.

Firstly, you are correct in saying that in the case described in the forum post, ##\mathbf{j}_{\perp}\neq-ne\mathbf{v}## and therefore ##\mathbf{j}_{\perp}\neq \mathbf{\sigma}\cdot\mathbf{E}##. This is because in this case, the velocity component perpendicular to the magnetic field, ##\mathbf{v}_{\text{n},\perp}##, cannot be approximated as a constant. In the semiclassical model, the velocity is determined by the gradient of the energy, as given by the equation ##\mathbf{v}_{\text{n}}(\mathbf{k})=\frac{1}{\hbar}\nabla_{\mathbf{k}}\epsilon_{\text{n}}(\mathbf{k})##. Therefore, in order to get a more accurate result for ##\mathbf{j}_{\perp}##, we need to take into account the variation of the velocity over the occupied levels in k-space.

To address your second question, the authors are talking about a special case where the current flow "always" lies along the direction ##\hat{\mathbf{n}}## of the open orbit in real space. This is only possible in the high-field limit, when the projection of the electric field on ##\hat{\mathbf{n}}##, ##\mathbf{E}\cdot\hat{\mathbf{n}}##, vanishes. In general, this is not always the case and the current flow can have components in directions other than ##\hat{\mathbf{n}}##. This is why the authors mention that it is only possible in the high-field limit. To answer your question about how to know whether ##\mathbf{E}\cdot\hat{\mathbf{n}}## is zero, it depends on the specific system and the values of the electric and magnetic fields. In general, we cannot assume that it is always zero and we need to consider the full expression for the current density, as given by (12.56) in Mermin's book.

I hope this helps clarify your questions. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need more clarification.

What is the High-field Hall effect?

The High-field Hall effect is a phenomenon in which a magnetic field applied to a current-carrying material causes a voltage to develop perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field. This effect is a result of the Lorentz force on the charge carriers in the material.

What is magnetoresistance?

Magnetoresistance is a change in the resistance of a material when an external magnetic field is applied. It can be caused by various mechanisms, such as the High-field Hall effect, spin-dependent scattering, or changes in the electronic band structure of the material.

How is High-field Hall effect and magnetoresistance measured?

High-field Hall effect and magnetoresistance are typically measured using a Hall probe, which consists of a thin strip of material with current running through it and a perpendicular magnetic field applied. The resulting Hall voltage is measured and used to calculate the Hall coefficient, which is related to the carrier concentration and mobility in the material.

What are some applications of High-field Hall effect and magnetoresistance?

High-field Hall effect and magnetoresistance have many practical applications, including magnetic field sensors, magnetic memory devices, and magnetic imaging techniques. They are also used in research to study the electronic properties of materials.

What factors affect the magnitude of High-field Hall effect and magnetoresistance?

The magnitude of the High-field Hall effect and magnetoresistance depends on several factors, such as the type of material, the strength of the magnetic field, and the temperature. It also varies with the direction of the magnetic field relative to the current and the crystallographic orientation of the material.