Oscillating charges in an electric field

In summary: Ft=kqqtest*(1/(dx+a)^2 - 1/(dx-a)^2)Then i use this force to replace in "F=-kdx".solve for k, then since (k/m)^1/2 = 2pi/T, solve for T then T = 1/f solve for f.In summary, Equations for electric field and force on a point charge in the middle of a ring can be found by first finding a general expression for electric field E(x) on the axis, at a distance x from the center of the ring, and then using F(x)=q*E(x).
WrongMan
I don't have a single problem, my teachers use this a lot.
a few examples, are an uniformely charged circle and a point charge in the middle, where if you move the point charge a small distance perpendicular to the circle, it would begin to oscilate, and i need to find the frequency of oscilation.
or, just a couple of point charges on the x-axis at a certain distance to the origin, and you place an oposite charge on the origin and move it a small amount on the y axis, what would be the frequency of oscilation, or find an expression for the position of the oscilating charge.

equations i think would be relevant are electric force and harmonic oscilation:
Fe = kqQ/r^2 and F=-Kx
Would the answer be just to substitute the forces for each other and have
kqQ/r^2 = -Kx
Or do i have to find K for each specific situation?
these are "old" problems as in I'm not studying this part of the program anymore, Electric fields and forces are going to be in the final, and I am pretty sure a problem like this is going to show up.
I haven't tried to solve the exercises since i don't have the answers i have no idea to check if I am correct other than criticizing my results
Im sorry I'm not showing any real attempt at solving these, i just need a little push in the right direction on how do i have to think about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
WrongMan said:
are an uniformely charged circle and a point charge in the middle, where if you move the point charge a small distance perpendicular to the circle, it would begin to oscilate, and i need to find the frequency of oscilation.
You need to first find a general expression for electric field E(x) on the axis, at a distance x from the center of the ring. Then, using F(x)=q*E(x), you can get the force on the charge. For simple harmonic motion, the displacement 'x' of the charge should be small enough compared to the radius 'r' of the ring, such that F=kx. Hence, assuming x<<r in the expression for F(x), you'll get the expression for force of SHM in the form of F=kx.

Last edited:
Likes WrongMan
cnh1995 said:
You need to first find a general expression for electric field E(x) on the axis, at a distance x from the center of the ring. Then, using F(x)=q*E(x), you can get the force on the charge. For simple harmonic motion, the displacement 'x' of the charge should be small enough compared to the radius 'r' of the ring, such that F=kx. Hence, assuming x<<r in the expression for F(x), you'll get the expression for force of SHM in the form of F=kx.
Ok great that's what i had in mind. thanks!

Ok so i returned to this today.
The exercise i looked at was the following:
there are two charges (q>0) positioned at (+a,0) and (-a,0)
another test charge (same signal) is placed at the origin, and can only move along the x axis, find the oscillation frequency when you give it a small displacement along the x axis.

So i found the field expression for both original charges. zeroed the y component and got
for the charge at -a:
E=kq*(1/(x+a)^2) * (x+a)/((x+a)^2)^1/2
for the one at +a
E=kq*(1/(x-a)^2) * (x-a)/((x-a)^2)^1/2

Found the resulting force on the test charge that was displaced dx
Ft=kqqtest*(1/(dx+a)^2 - 1/(dx-a)^2)
then i use this force to replace in "F=-kdx".
solve for k, then since (k/m)^1/2 = 2pi/T, solve for T then T = 1/f solve for f.
is this correct?

Last edited:
WrongMan said:
there are two charges (q>0) positiones at (+a,0) and (-a,0)
If both the charges have same sign, y compoment of the field is not 0.

Likes WrongMan
cnh1995 said:
If both the charges have same sign, y compoment of the field is not 0.
yes, they have the same charge and are positioned along the x axis, so on the x-axis the field in the y direction is 0 (even if they had opposite charges it would be 0).

I'm considering only the X-axis on this part of the problem i meant that previously i found the field at any position on the XY plane, got:
E=kq*(1/((x+a)^2+y^2) * (x+a,y)/((x+a)^2+y^2)^1/2
for the one at +a
E=kq*(1/((x-a)^2+y^2) * (x-a,y)/((x-a)^2+y^2)^1/2

but since for this part of the problem the test charge in only in the x axis, i zeroed the y's in those expressions, that's what i meant.

WrongMan said:
so on the x-axis the field in the y directions is 0 (even if they had opposite charges it would be 0)
Oh..I think I misread your question. On the x axis, the y component of the field is zero but elsewhere, it is non-zero. It would be true for opoosite charges as well. I pictured that the test charge is displaced along y-axis and got confused.

Likes WrongMan
WrongMan said:
Found the resulting force on the test charge that was displaced dx
Ft=kqqtest*(1/(dx+a)^2 - 1/(dx-a)^2)
then i use this force to replace in "F=-kdx".
solve for k, then since (k/m)^1/2 = 2pi/T, solve for T then T = 1/f solve for f.
is this correct?
Ft is not proportional to dx. What do you mean with replacing F in F=-kdx with it? Show how do you solve for k, please.

Likes WrongMan
ehild said:
Ft is not proportional to dx. What do you mean with replacing F in F=-kdx with it? Show how do you solve for k, please.
what? how is it not proportional? Ft must be proportional to dx, it makes sense that as dx aproaches (a,0), force on the test charge by the charge in (a,0) goes to infinity, and the force on the test charge by the charge on (-a,0) goes to force at a distance of 2a.

-(k/dx)*qqtest*(1/(dx+a)^2 - 1/(dx-a)^2)=k
the minus makes sense since i moved the charge a positive dx, the force would have "-x direction"
this and the rest is just substitution.
Am i wrong?

WrongMan said:
what? how is it not proportional? Ft must be proportional to dx, it makes sense that as dx aproaches (a,0), force on the test charge by the charge in (a,0) goes to infinity, and the force on the test charge by the charge on (-a,0) goes to force at a distance of 2a.
That does not mean a force proportional to dx.
WrongMan said:
-(k/dx)*qqtest*(1/(dx+a)^2 - 1/(dx-a)^2)=k
the minus makes sense since i moved the charge a positive dx, the force would have "-x direction"
this and the rest is just substitution.
Am i wrong?
Yes.
First: you use the symbol k for two different things, the constant in Coulomb's law, and the force constant in F=-kx. k just cancels from the equation you presented.
What do you get for the force constant from your equation?

Likes WrongMan
ehild said:
That does not mean a force proportional to dx.

Yes.
First: you use the symbol k for two different things, the constant in Coulomb's law, and the force constant in F=-kx. k just cancels from the equation you presented.
What do you get for the force constant from your equation?

oh ok i get it, i was saying it was proportional as in Ft varies when dx changes not direct or inverse proportionality.

oh yeas i didnt notice i used the same letter for two different things.
the force constant would be:
k1= -(k2/dx)*qqtest*(1/(dx+a)^2 - 1/(dx-a)^2)

where k1 is the force constant and k2 is the constant in coulomb law

WrongMan said:
the force constant would be:
k1= -(k2/dx)*qqtest*(1/(dx+a)^2 - 1/(dx-a)^2)

where k1 is the force constant and k2 is the constant in coulomb law
Yes, but the force constant should be a constant. Yours depends on dx. You have to simplify the expression for k1 and use that dx<<a.
Hint: bring the terms of 1/(dx+a)^2 - 1/(dx-a)^2 to common denominator, expand the squares and simplify, ignore terms with dx on power higher than 1.

Likes WrongMan
ehild said:
Yes, but the force constant should be a constant. Yours depends on dx. You have to simplify the expression for k1 and use that dx<<a.
Hint: bring the terms of 1/(dx+a)^2 - 1/(dx-a)^2 to common denominator, expand the squares and simplify, ignore terms with dx on power higher than 1.

yeah makes sense, i got
K1=(4qqtestk2)/a3

Related to Oscillating charges in an electric field

What is an oscillating charge?

An oscillating charge refers to a charged particle that undergoes repeated back-and-forth or up-and-down movement in response to an electric field. This movement is typically characterized by a periodic change in the particle's position and velocity.

How does an electric field affect an oscillating charge?

An electric field can exert a force on a charged particle, causing it to move in a specific direction. In the case of an oscillating charge, the electric field causes the particle to undergo a periodic motion, with its direction of movement changing as the direction of the electric field changes.

What is the relationship between an oscillating charge and electromagnetic radiation?

An oscillating charge is the source of electromagnetic radiation. As the charged particle moves back and forth, it creates a changing electric field, which in turn generates a changing magnetic field. These changing fields propagate through space as electromagnetic waves, carrying energy and information.

What factors affect the oscillation of a charged particle in an electric field?

The oscillation of a charged particle depends on several factors, including the strength and direction of the electric field, the mass and charge of the particle, and any other forces acting on the particle. The frequency and amplitude of the oscillation can also be influenced by these factors.

How is the motion of an oscillating charge mathematically described?

The motion of an oscillating charge can be described using the equations of motion, such as Newton's laws of motion and the Lorentz force law. These equations take into account the forces acting on the particle, as well as its initial position and velocity, to determine its trajectory over time.