Oscillating sphere on a parabolic surface

In summary, the discussion was about finding the time period for a small oscillation of a sphere on a parabolic surface with the equation y=0.5kx^2, using the equations of motion and energy calculations. The conversation included the suggestion of taking the derivative of mechanical energy and using force analysis, but ultimately the solution involved converting the sine of the angle of acceleration to its tangent, which made it easy to apply simple harmonic motion rules to calculate the time period.
Swap

Homework Statement

A sphere is making small oscillations on a parabolic surface . The equation of the parabola is
y= 0.5kx^2 . Find the time period of this small oscillation.

Homework Equations

accln. (c.o.m)= 5/7 g sinѲ
tanѲ= Ѳ ( for small angles)
sinѲ=Ѳ (for small angles)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find about the moment of the ball about the focus of the parabola but then in addition with theta it came up with an x variable and thus I am unable to apply SHM rules.

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend you take time derivative of the mechanical energy instead. Force analysis here is somewhat complex I guess.
Potential energy: U = mgy = 0.5mgkx^2
Kinetic energy: K = 0.5mv^2 + 0.5Iw^2
As for small oscillation around the lowest position of the parabola, we have v=x' and w=rv=rx'.

I thought w=v/r=x'/r

Oops, sorry :biggrin: Yes, w=v/r=x'/r.

I still don't get it how to get time from the energy calculations. Can u explain some more.
Moreover x'= something in terms of 1/U^(1/2) and dU/dt. And if we put U=0 in this equation then it is invalid so this also confuses me.

For small oscillation, you can consider the motion horizontal, along x. As the radius of the sphere was not mentioned, I think it can be taken negligible. In this case, the potential energy is mgy. Compare with the potential energy of SHM, U=1/2 Dx^2. How is D related to k? how the frequency of oscillation is related to D and m?

ehild

Last edited:
Swap said:
I still don't get it how to get time from the energy calculations. Can u explain some more.
Moreover x'= something in terms of 1/U^(1/2) and dU/dt. And if we put U=0 in this equation then it is invalid so this also confuses me.

Time "lies inside" x(t), x'(t), x"(t) :smile:

"x'= something in terms of 1/U^(1/2) and dU/dt"
For SHM, U=kx^2; dU/dt = 2kxx'. So: x' ~ dU/dt * 1/sqrt(U), is this what you mean? Look at U and dU/dt again. When U=0, x=0 and thus, dU/dt=0 too. So we cannot conclude anything about dU/dt * 1/sqrt(U) here.

huh... I realize just now that u don't need to take any derivative of Energy. The trick is converting the sinѲ in accln to tanѲ, which of course we can since Ѳ is small and then it is very easy to show that accln. is proportional to -x. from there we can just apply SHM rules to calculate time period.

Related to Oscillating sphere on a parabolic surface

1. What is an oscillating sphere on a parabolic surface?

An oscillating sphere on a parabolic surface refers to a physical system where a small spherical object (such as a ball) is placed on a surface that is shaped like a parabola. The sphere is then given a small push or disturbance, causing it to oscillate (move back and forth) on the surface.

2. What causes the sphere to oscillate on the parabolic surface?

The oscillation of the sphere on the parabolic surface is caused by a combination of gravity and the shape of the surface. Since the surface is curved, the force of gravity pulls the sphere towards the lowest point of the curve, causing it to move back and forth as it rolls down the slope.

3. What factors affect the motion of the oscillating sphere?

The motion of the oscillating sphere is affected by several factors, including the curvature of the parabolic surface, the initial velocity and direction of the sphere, and the force of gravity. Additionally, the mass and size of the sphere can also have an impact on its motion.

4. What is the significance of studying an oscillating sphere on a parabolic surface?

Studying an oscillating sphere on a parabolic surface can provide insights into various physical concepts, such as gravity, motion, and energy conservation. It can also serve as a model for other real-world systems, such as a pendulum or a rolling object on a curved track.

5. How can the behavior of the oscillating sphere be predicted or analyzed?

The behavior of the oscillating sphere can be predicted and analyzed using mathematical equations, such as Newton's laws of motion and the equations of motion for a rolling object. Computer simulations can also be used to model and analyze the motion of the sphere on the parabolic surface.