Calculating Total Charge on Non-Uniformly Charged Sphere

In summary, a sphere of radius ##a## with a non-uniform surface charge density of ##ρ_{so}(cosφ)^2##, where ##φ## is the angle measured from the z axis, has a total charge of ##Q=\frac{4π}{3}ρ_{s0}a^2##. This can be found by using a double integral with respect to the angles ##φ## and ##θ##, with limits of integration of ##[0, π]## and ##[0, 2π]## respectively. The surface element can be calculated using the formula ##dA=a^2sinφdφdθ##.
doktorwho

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius ##a## is non-uniformly charged on its surface with a charge whose surface density is ##ρ_s(φ)=ρ_{so}(cosφ)^2## where ##φ## is the angle measures from the z axis, (0≤φ≤π) and ##ρ_{s0}## is a constant. Determine the expression for the total charge distributed on the sphere.

Homework Equations

##dQ=ρ_sdS##

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I am supposed to find the small surface element on which to integrate but the surface charge density is given by the angle and how am i supposed to make the surface element be in angle form. I tried thinking like this: In a circle the element ##dL## that is the small part of the circumference is ##rdφ## but don't know how to use that on the sphere..
The solution should be ##Q=\frac{4π}{3}ρ_{s0}a^2##
The problem i have now is how to start. I have to find the surface element and i don't know how, can you help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Look at the last page of this link: http://web.mit.edu/8.02t/www/materials/modules/ReviewB.pdf
But note that here they use the symbol ##\theta## for your ##\varphi##.

TSny said:
Welcome to PF!
Look at the last page of this link: http://web.mit.edu/8.02t/www/materials/modules/ReviewB.pdf
But note that here they use the symbol ##\theta## for your ##\varphi##.
Hi, its great to be here :D
I have solved the problem, i figured that the part of the sphere that is under the fixed angle can be integrated,
##dA=2rπdl## where the circumference at some radius ##r## that is equal to ##r=asinφ## multiplied by the ##dl## element equaling to ##adφ## gives out the area and the integral becomes ##Q=∫2πa^2ρ_{so}(cosφ)^2sinφ## integrated on the interval ##[0,π]## but just out of curiosity how would i use the area you provided?
The surface element is ##dA=a^2sinφdφdθ## and the integral becomes ##Q=∫ρ_{so}(cosφ)^2a^2sinφdφdθ##? There are two differentials now, how to use this?

doktorwho said:
There are two differentials now, how to use this?
The integral with respect to θ is easy, so do that first.

haruspex said:
The integral with respect to θ is easy, so do that first.
Well the limits are ##[0, π]## so it should be ##π## right? But then I am mising a factor of ##2## so it should be ##2π## somehow..

doktorwho said:
the limits are [0,π]
In polar, to cover the sphere, one angle goes 0 to π and the other from 0 to 2π.

haruspex said:
In polar, to cover the sphere, one angle goes 0 to π and the other from 0 to 2π.
So i integrate one angle from ##[0, π]## and the other ##[0, 2π]##? How would i put the limits for the general expression?

doktorwho said:
So i integrate one angle from ##[0, π]## and the other ##[0, 2π]##? How would i put the limits for the general expression?
You are asking about the notation? ##\int^{\pi}_{\phi=0}\int^{2\pi}_{\theta=0}##.

haruspex said:
You are asking about the notation? ##\int^{\pi}_{\phi=0}\int^{2\pi}_{\theta=0}##.
oh yeah it would be a double integral, thanks :D!

Related to Calculating Total Charge on Non-Uniformly Charged Sphere

1. What is an electrically charged sphere?

An electrically charged sphere is a spherical object that has a net electric charge, meaning it has an excess or deficiency of electrons. This charge can be either positive or negative.

2. What causes a sphere to become electrically charged?

A sphere can become electrically charged when it gains or loses electrons through processes such as friction, conduction, or induction. The type and amount of charge depends on the material and the process involved.

3. What is the relationship between the charge and the electric field of a charged sphere?

The electric field of a charged sphere is directly proportional to the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center of the sphere. This means that as the charge increases, the electric field strength also increases, but as the distance from the sphere increases, the electric field strength decreases.

4. How do electrically charged spheres interact with other charged objects?

Electrically charged spheres interact with other charged objects through the electric force. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other. The strength of this force depends on the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.

5. Can a charged sphere be neutralized?

Yes, a charged sphere can be neutralized by adding or removing electrons to balance out the charge. This can be done through processes such as grounding or touching the sphere with an object of opposite charge.