Oscillating Spring in a Frictionless pulley system

In summary: Yes, I think I understand now. So the equilibrium extension is 0.2 meters, and the mass is hanging at equilibrium with a tension of 7.84 Newtons?Yes, I think I understand now.
jschim
Homework Statement
Oscillating Spring Problem With a Pulley. Need Answer by 3/3/20 please help.
Relevant Equations
w=sqrt(k/m)
f=ma
Us=1/2kx^2
physics.PNG

1. Draw Free body Diagram for each weight.

2. Solve for Tension in Rope.

3. Find Spring Constant.

4. Find omega (w, or angular velocity)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question you wish to ask? We don't do your homework for you. Tell us what you think and show your attempt at a solution. Start with the free body diagrams. This might take longer than you have allowed.

There is not enough information. E.g. consider spring constant =0; it does not contradict any given info.
Need to know the equilibrium length of the spring as well as the relaxed length. Or maybe 0.2m is supposed to be the equilibrium extension of the spring?

haruspex said:
There is not enough information. E.g. consider spring constant =0; it does not contradict any given info.
Need to know the equilibrium length of the spring as well as the relaxed length. Or maybe 0.2m is supposed to be the equilibrium extension of the spring?
I was about to edit my post and add that we need the full statement of the problem. The 0.2 m, a.k.a. the unstrained length, must be the no load length.

the spring at equilibrium is 0.2 meters

kuruman said:
I was about to edit my post and add that we need the full statement of the problem. The 0.2 m, a.k.a. the unstrained length, must be the no load length.
jschim said:
the spring at equilibrium is 0.2 meters
I was careful to write "equilibrium extension", i.e the extension at equilibrium. Knowing only the equilibrium length, but not the relaxed length, doesn't help.

haruspex said:
I was careful to write "equilibrium extension", i.e the extension at equilibrium. Knowing only the equilibrium length, but not the relaxed length, doesn't help.
sorry, I am not very good at physics, the equilibrium extension is 0.2 meters

jschim said:
sorry, I am not very good at physics, the equilibrium extension is 0.2 meters
Ok, so post an attempt, per forum rules.

haruspex said:
Ok, so post an attempt, per forum rules.
physics fbd.PNG

here is the free body diagrams, I am working on the rest

jschim said:
View attachment 258016

here is the free body diagrams, I am working on the rest
You should only consider forces acting directly on a body. Mass m1 doesn’t 'know' anything about m2g, just the tension. Similarly m2.

tension.PNG

I tried my best, but I am not sure how to work around finding tension with the spring involved

k.PNG
w.PNG

here are the last two parts. Thank you for helping me!

haruspex said:
You should only consider forces acting directly on a body. Mass m1 doesn’t 'know' anything about m2g, just the tension. Similarly m2.
I tried part two again based on you advice and I think I did it correctly.

Fnet=ma

T-mg=mg

T=2mg

T=2(.4)(9.8)

T=7.84 N

jschim said:
View attachment 258018View attachment 258019
here are the last two parts. Thank you for helping me!
I just realized I messed up my units on #3 by a power of 10. It should be .588 rather than .0588 and 470.4 rather than 47.4

jschim said:
T-mg=mg
I assume this is for m2.
How many forces act on m2 and what are they?

haruspex said:
I assume this is for m2.
How many forces act on m2 and what are they?
weight acts downwards, and tension acts upwards

jschim said:
weight acts downwards, and tension acts upwards
Right, so what equation does that give for balance?

haruspex said:
Right, so what equation does that give for balance?
netF=tension-weight

right??

jschim said:
netF=tension-weight

right??
Right, this is the net force on the hanging mass. What is it equal to?

kuruman said:
Right, this is the net force on the hanging mass. What is it equal to?
It would be equal to the hanging mass times acceleration, in this case, gravity.

f=ma

Correct. Can you write another equation expressing Newton's 2nd law using the free body diagram of the mass attached to the spring? Do that using symbols, not numbers. Also to distinguish the masses from each other use m1 for the mass on the table and m2 for the hanging mass. Once you have written the second equation, put them on two separate lines, one below the other.

jschim said:
It would be equal to the hanging mass times acceleration
Yes.
jschim said:
in this case, gravity.
It is not accelerating. It is stationary until the spring is released.

kuruman said:
Correct
No, what @jschim wrote in post #20 goes wrong at the end. I suspect this is how he or she got the erroneous T-mg=mg in post #13.

haruspex said:
No, what @jschim wrote in post #20 goes wrong at the end. I suspect this is how he or she got the erroneous T-mg=mg in post #13.
Yes, of course. I guess I stopped reading after "mass times acceleration".

1. What is an oscillating spring in a frictionless pulley system?

An oscillating spring in a frictionless pulley system is a physical system consisting of a mass attached to a spring that is connected to a pulley with no friction. The mass is able to move up and down, causing the spring to stretch and compress, while the pulley remains stationary.

2. How does an oscillating spring in a frictionless pulley system work?

The system works by converting potential energy stored in the spring into kinetic energy as the mass moves up and down. This back and forth motion creates a repetitive oscillation, with the mass reaching its maximum height at the end of each cycle.

3. What factors affect the oscillation of the spring in this system?

The oscillation of the spring is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object attached to the spring, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude of the oscillation. The presence of external forces, such as gravity or air resistance, can also impact the oscillation.

4. What is the relationship between the period and frequency of the oscillation?

The period of the oscillation is the time it takes for the mass to complete one full cycle, while the frequency is the number of cycles completed in one second. The two are inversely related, meaning that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa.

5. How is an oscillating spring in a frictionless pulley system used in real-life applications?

This system is commonly used in physics experiments and demonstrations to study the principles of oscillation and energy conservation. It is also used in engineering to design and test the performance of springs in various machines and devices.