Oscillations of a disc with a smaller disc removed (Feynman ex. 17.23)

In summary, when a disc of radius ##a## has a smaller disc of radius ##a/2## removed, the resulting object has mass ##m## and its centre of mass ##G## is a distance ##h = \dfrac{5a}{6}## from the edge. The moment of inertia of the shape about the centre ##C## is given by ##I_C = \dfrac{13\pi a^4 \rho}{32}##, and the moment of inertia about ##G## is ##I_G = \dfrac{41 \pi a^4 \rho}{96}##. The kinetic energy of the body is ##T = \pi a^4 \rho \dot{\var
ergospherical
Homework Statement
Determine the period of small oscillations, given that the disc rolls without slipping
Relevant Equations
N/A
A disc of radius ##a## has a smaller disc of radius ##a/2## removed. The resulting object has mass ##m##:

1630700847115.png
The centre of mass ##G## is a distance ##h = \dfrac{\pi a^3 - \dfrac{3\pi a^3}{8} }{\dfrac{3\pi a^2}{4}} = \dfrac{5a}{6}## from the edge. The moment of inertia of the shape about the centre ##C## is\begin{align*}
I_C = \dfrac{1}{2}(\pi a^2 \rho)a^2 - \left(\dfrac{\pi a^2 \rho}{4} \right) \left( \dfrac{1}{2} \left(\dfrac{a}{2} \right)^2 + \left(\dfrac{a}{2} \right)^2 \right) = \dfrac{13\pi a^4 \rho}{32}
\end{align*}therefore the moment of inertia about ##G## is $$I_G = I_C + \dfrac{3\pi a^2 \rho}{4} \left(\dfrac{a}{6} \right)^2 = \dfrac{41 \pi a^4 \rho}{96}$$If the angle through which the disc has rotated is denoted ##\varphi##, then the centre of mass ##G## has velocity\begin{align*}
\mathbf{v}_G &= (a\dot{\varphi})\mathbf{\hat{x}} + \boldsymbol{\omega} \times \overrightarrow{CG} = \left(a\dot{\varphi} - \dfrac{a \dot{\varphi}}{6} \cos{\varphi} \right)\mathbf{\hat{x}} + \left(\dfrac{a\dot{\varphi}}{6} \sin{\varphi} \right)\mathbf{\hat{y}} \\

\implies v_G^2 &= \frac{a^2 \dot{\varphi}^2}{36}\left(37 - 12\cos{\varphi} \right)
\end{align*}Therefore the kinetic energy of the body is\begin{align*}
T = \dfrac{1}{2} m v_G^2 + \dfrac{1}{2}I_G \dot{\varphi}^2 = \pi a^4 \rho \dot{\varphi}^2 \left( \dfrac{1}{96}(37 - 12\cos{\varphi}) + \frac{41}{192} \right) = \pi a^4 \rho \dot{\varphi}^2 \left( \dfrac{115}{192} - \dfrac{1}{8} \cos{\varphi} \right)
\end{align*}Meanwhile, the height of the centre of mass ##G## when the body has rotated by ##\varphi## is\begin{align*}
y_G = a(1-\cos{\varphi}) + \dfrac{5a}{6} \cos{\varphi} = a(1- \dfrac{1}{6} \cos{\varphi})
\end{align*}therefore the potential energy is ##U = \dfrac{3\pi a^3 \rho g}{4}\left(1- \dfrac{1}{6} \cos{\varphi} \right)##. Overall I write the energy ##E## as\begin{align*}
\dfrac{1}{\pi a^3 \rho} E &= a \dot{\varphi}^2 \left( \dfrac{115}{192} - \dfrac{1}{8} \cos{\varphi} \right) + \dfrac{3g}{4}\left(1- \dfrac{1}{6} \cos{\varphi} \right) \\ \\

\implies \dot{E} &= 2a \dot{\varphi} \ddot{\varphi}\left( \dfrac{115}{192} - \dfrac{1}{8} \cos{\varphi} \right) + \dfrac{a\dot{\varphi}^3}{8} \sin{\varphi} + \dfrac{g \dot{\varphi}}{8} \sin{\varphi} \overset{!}{=} 0
\end{align*}The motion does not look simple harmonic, at least for finite ##\varphi##. To investigate we can put ##\cos{\varphi} = 1## and ##\sin{\varphi} = \varphi##, and I assume also ##\dot{\varphi}^2 = 0##, which gives\begin{align*}
\ddot{\varphi} + \dfrac{12g}{91a} \varphi = 0 \implies \Omega &= \sqrt{\dfrac{12 g}{91 a}} \\

T &= \pi \sqrt{\dfrac{91a}{3g}}
\end{align*}However in the solution manual they write ##T = \pi \sqrt{29a/g}##?

Likes Hamiltonian
Physics news on Phys.org
State the parallel axis theorem. Did you use it correctly?

Likes ergospherical
haruspex said:
State the parallel axis theorem. Did you use it correctly?
ahhhh, kill me
ought to be ##I_G = I_C - \dfrac{3\pi a^2 \rho}{4} \left(\dfrac{a}{6} \right)^2##, right?

[Edit: Yep, I checked it through with ##I_G = \dfrac{37 \pi a^4 \rho}{96}## and it works. Thanks haru! ☺️]

Last edited:
Likes haruspex

1. What is the concept behind oscillations of a disc with a smaller disc removed?

The concept behind oscillations of a disc with a smaller disc removed is that when a disc is rotated about its center, it will experience a restoring torque due to its own weight. This causes the disc to oscillate back and forth, with a smaller disc removed from its center creating a change in the moment of inertia and therefore altering the oscillation frequency.

2. How does the removal of a smaller disc affect the oscillation frequency of the larger disc?

The removal of a smaller disc from the center of the larger disc decreases the moment of inertia of the system, resulting in a higher oscillation frequency. This is because the smaller disc has a lower mass and therefore contributes less to the overall moment of inertia of the system.

3. What is the formula for calculating the oscillation frequency of a disc with a smaller disc removed?

The formula for calculating the oscillation frequency of a disc with a smaller disc removed is given by f = (1/2π)√(g/R), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and R is the radius of the larger disc.

4. How does the position of the smaller disc affect the oscillation frequency of the system?

The position of the smaller disc within the larger disc does not affect the oscillation frequency of the system. As long as the smaller disc is removed from the center, the moment of inertia will be decreased and the oscillation frequency will be higher.

5. What other factors can affect the oscillation frequency of a disc with a smaller disc removed?

Other factors that can affect the oscillation frequency of a disc with a smaller disc removed include the mass and size of the smaller disc, as well as any external forces acting on the system. Friction and air resistance can also play a role in altering the oscillation frequency.