Oscillator Differentials: What's a physical meaning of complex part of the solution for coordinate change of the anharmonic oscillator?

DifferentialGalois
Homework Statement
What's a physical meaning of, for example, complex part of the solution for coordinate change of the anharmonic oscillator?
Why after substitute (for diff. equation solve) for real x we can earn ##x = Re(z) + iIm(z)##? Is it because of substitutio?
Relevant Equations
##x = Re(z) + iIm(z)##
##x(t)=e^{i\alpha t}##
##x(t) = A e^{i \alpha_1 t} + B e^{i \alpha_2 t}##
I don't understand what the question means, and the answer is provided here: https://physics.stackexchange.com/a/35821/222321
Could someone provide a comprehensive one-by-one explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
The discussion at that link does not, as far as I can see, provide a physical meaning to the complex solution. Neither does it address anharmonicity, so I assume you mean just a standard damped (maybe forced) oscillator.
If we map the state onto the complex plane, the graph as a function of time (an axis normal to that plane) becomes a helix, tapering exponentially in the case of unforced. I would think this could be realised in a physical system.

Likes MatinSAR
bump

DifferentialGalois said:
bump
Why are you bumping your thread and not replying to @haruspex ?

Likes MatinSAR
berkeman said:
Why are you bumping your thread and not replying to @haruspex ?
i need an explanation to the mathematical equations.

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
DifferentialGalois said:
i need an explanation to the mathematical equations.
I thought I saw a pretty good explanation in the post by @haruspex -- Which part of what he wrote did you not understand?

1. What is an oscillator differential?

An oscillator differential is a mathematical equation that describes the motion of a system that oscillates or vibrates around an equilibrium point. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems such as springs, pendulums, and electronic circuits.

2. What is the physical meaning of the complex part of the solution for coordinate change of the anharmonic oscillator?

The complex part of the solution for coordinate change of the anharmonic oscillator represents the imaginary part of the displacement of the oscillator. This means that the oscillator is not only moving back and forth in a linear fashion, but also has a circular or elliptical component to its motion.

3. How does the complex part of the solution affect the behavior of an anharmonic oscillator?

The complex part of the solution affects the behavior of an anharmonic oscillator by introducing nonlinearity and allowing for more complex motion. This can result in phenomena such as beats, frequency mixing, and chaos in the system.

4. Can the complex part of the solution be physically observed in an anharmonic oscillator?

No, the complex part of the solution cannot be physically observed in an anharmonic oscillator. It is a mathematical construct that helps us understand the behavior of the system, but it does not have a physical manifestation.

5. How are oscillator differentials used in practical applications?

Oscillator differentials are used in a wide range of practical applications, including mechanical and electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry. They are used to model and analyze systems that exhibit oscillatory behavior, such as springs in suspension systems, electronic circuits, and chemical reactions.