Oscilliscope, signal pulsating

• Thread starter nordmoon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Signal
In summary, the individual is experiencing pulsating signals on their oscilloscope while using a pulsed laser for measurements. The baseline of the signal is suddenly jumping up and down, possibly due to disturbances from nearby work or interference from a radio transmitter. They have been advised to check their photodiode/amplifier and potentially use a different one for testing.
nordmoon
Hi, so i am doing measurements with a pulsed laser using an oscilliscope.

The signal has been ok (stable) until this afternoon when I noticed the signal started pulsating. The baseline of the signal suddenly jumps up and the baseline becomes larger, and then go down to normal.. and it keeps "pulsating" like this. Any idea what could be wrong? There might be some disturbances from other work nearby, but I am unsure what it could be.

Engineering news on Phys.org
nordmoon said:
Hi, so i am doing measurements with a pulsed laser using an oscilliscope.

The signal has been ok (stable) until this afternoon when I noticed the signal started pulsating. The baseline of the signal suddenly jumps up and the baseline becomes larger, and then go down to normal.. and it keeps "pulsating" like this. Any idea what could be wrong? There might be some disturbances from other work nearby, but I am unsure what it could be.
Could you use the UPLOAD button to post pictures of your setup and show us your schematic?

One thing to check would be the photodiode/amplifier. If you have a replacement, try testing with a different one.

It looks like interference from a nearby radio transmitter going on and off, such as a paging transmitter.

tech99 said:
It looks like interference from a nearby radio transmitter going on and off, such as a paging transmitter.

I agree, when i removed the averaging I could see that there was a signal detected at some interval by the LPD3 tube.

Related to Oscilliscope, signal pulsating

1. What is an oscilloscope?

An oscilloscope is a scientific instrument used to display and analyze the varying voltage of an electrical signal over time. It is commonly used in electronics, telecommunications, and physics research.

2. How does an oscilloscope work?

An oscilloscope works by receiving and amplifying an input signal, which is then displayed on a screen as a graph of voltage over time. The vertical axis represents voltage and the horizontal axis represents time. The signal is displayed as a waveform, allowing scientists to analyze its amplitude, frequency, and other characteristics.

3. What is signal pulsating?

Signal pulsating refers to a signal that rapidly changes between high and low voltage levels. This can occur naturally in electronic systems or can be generated intentionally to transmit information.

4. What are some applications of oscilloscopes?

Oscilloscopes have a wide range of applications, including testing and troubleshooting electronic circuits, analyzing audio signals, measuring the frequency of a signal, and analyzing the performance of communication systems. They are also commonly used in medical and scientific research.

5. Are there different types of oscilloscopes?

Yes, there are several types of oscilloscopes, including analog, digital, and mixed-signal oscilloscopes. They differ in the way they display and process signals, as well as the types of signals they can analyze. Some oscilloscopes also have additional features, such as storage capabilities and advanced triggering options.