[] Output current of transistor

In summary: Io is the current that goes thru the resistor and capacitor in the circuit.In summary, this circuit illustrates the difference between an open and closed circuit. When there is no load on the output, Io is undefined because there is no AC signal present at the output. When there is a load, Io is the current going through the resistor and capacitor.
cuongbui1702
Warning: Homework template must be used for all homework questions
My teacher gave me this picture below. My question is why Io go through Rc but does not go through C2
Mtb5V_zpskj3obfmb.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably C2 is open circuited in this case (no connection at Vo).

gneill said:
Presumably C2 is open circuited in this case (no connection at Vo).
But why Ii is not equal 0 because of C1

cuongbui1702 said:
But why Ii is not equal 0 because of C1
##I_i## would be assumed to be some injected input current.

I realize that it may seem to present contradictory notions, but this is a just a convention that's often used to set up the scenario for analysis of a circuit: Some signal is assumed to be present at the input and the output is unloaded.

Likes cuongbui1702
cuongbui1702 said:
My teacher gave me this picture below. My question is why Io go through Rc but does not go through C2
You could say Rc represents the load. The capacitor provides a handy point where you can imagine monitoring the output voltage.

When you connect a resistive load between the capacitor and ground, this can be accounted for by just reducing Rc in your AC voltage-gain analysis.

do not forgot that with capacitors i=(1/C)Cdv/dt. so you could say say that there will be a Ii when Vi changes.

io does not go through the capacitor because it is an open circuit on the other side, so the current has nowhere to flow.

This is not important for you solving the problem but it might help prospective. the purpose of circuits like this are to amplify an AC signal. The C1 is in there to block DC gain from entering the amplifier. Rb, Re and Rc will bias your transistor so it is operating in the correct region. C2 will prevent a DC voltage from leaving the amplifier. Since we are dealing with AC gains, all components will affect the gain. also note that in many cases circuits like this are attached to a high impedance circuit on the output, so it can be modeled as an op circuit.

So almost is assuming, and Io = ic( AC of IC, IC is DC current going through RC). That makes me messing up. When I take a Rload, where is Io, does it continue going through Rc?

is this for a homework assignment. If it is then the knowledge that current cannot flow through an open current should be enough.

If this isn't for a homework assignment, then when you add a load the current will only flow through the capacitor when the voltage across the cap changes, which will be due to a change in input voltage. The Io signal will have both a DC and AC component to it while the circuit is operating.

Likes cuongbui1702
In the schematic shown, Io is defined as the AC current through Rc.

If there were a load, RL, separate from Rc, then the load current would be IRL.

Likes cuongbui1702
Thank for your answers. And one more question, my teacher said me that: when I calculate Zin or Zout, I must have 1 condition such as: Iin =0, or Iout = 0. Why I must have this condition?

Of course, there is a possiblity that Io is incorrectly marked in your schematic. It may have been the intention that it be the current through C2 to a load not shown.

Likes cuongbui1702
cuongbui1702 said:
Mtb5V_zpskj3obfmb.png
This is a dc problem. DC does not go thru a capacitor.
Plus the fact that there is no connection with one of C's terminals so AC current would not go through it either.

Related to [] Output current of transistor

1. What is the output current of a transistor?

The output current of a transistor is the amount of electric current that flows through the collector terminal of the transistor when a voltage is applied to the base terminal.

2. How is the output current of a transistor calculated?

The output current of a transistor can be calculated using the formula Ic = βIB, where Ic is the collector current, β is the current gain of the transistor, and IB is the base current.

3. What factors affect the output current of a transistor?

The output current of a transistor can be affected by various factors such as the input voltage, the resistance of the load connected to the collector terminal, and the current gain of the transistor.

4. How does the output current of a transistor change with different base currents?

The output current of a transistor is directly proportional to the base current. This means that as the base current increases, the output current also increases.

5. How can the output current of a transistor be controlled?

The output current of a transistor can be controlled by adjusting the input voltage, changing the resistance of the load, or by using a feedback circuit to regulate the base current.