Over-consolidation pressure / negative skin friction of clay

In summary, the speaker is asking for help in finding evidence to support a claim or idea they are interested in. They acknowledge the importance of seeking evidence and offer to provide guidance in finding credible sources.
dccd
Homework Statement
I was told that negative skin friction of the clay can be ignored if the overconsolidation ratio = preconsoildation pressure / overburden pressure now > 1.4
Relevant Equations
none
However, I can't find any proof on this ? Can someone help to explain this ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. I understand the importance of seeking evidence to support claims or ideas. Can you provide more context or information about what specific topic or statement you are referring to? This will allow me to better assist you in finding evidence or explaining the concept in question. It is important to critically evaluate sources and information, so I would be happy to help guide you in the right direction. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

What is over-consolidation pressure?

Over-consolidation pressure (OCR) is the pressure exerted on clay soil due to past loading and subsequent unloading. This results in a decrease in the volume of the soil, causing it to become more compact and dense. This pressure can have significant effects on the behavior of the soil and any structures built on it.

What is negative skin friction?

Negative skin friction is a phenomenon that occurs when a structure, such as a building or bridge, is built on clay soil. As the structure's weight compresses the soil, it causes a decrease in volume and an increase in pore water pressure. This results in a downward drag force on the structure, known as negative skin friction, which can cause settlement and potential structural damage.

How does over-consolidation pressure affect negative skin friction?

Over-consolidation pressure can significantly affect negative skin friction by increasing the compressibility of the clay soil. This can result in larger settlements and higher drag forces on structures, potentially leading to structural damage. It is important to consider both over-consolidation pressure and negative skin friction when designing structures on clay soil.

What are the factors that influence over-consolidation pressure and negative skin friction?

The factors that influence over-consolidation pressure and negative skin friction include the type and properties of the clay soil, the magnitude and duration of past loading, and the current loading conditions. Other factors such as groundwater levels and construction methods can also play a role in these phenomena.

How can over-consolidation pressure and negative skin friction be mitigated?

There are various methods for mitigating the effects of over-consolidation pressure and negative skin friction, including preloading and surcharging the soil, using geosynthetic materials to reduce the drag force, and improving the drainage and consolidation properties of the soil. It is important to assess the specific site conditions and choose the most appropriate mitigation measures for each case.