Overcoming Shyness to Succeed as an Engineer

• Engineering
  • Thread starter thepatient
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, an engineer has to be a financial analyst, a designer, a programmer, a salesman, and other things. An engineer also has to be able to communicate well with others.
thepatient
Hey, so I'm currently a year away from graduating with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering. I chose this major because I love physics and mathematics and applying them. Right know I'm really enjoying fluid mechanics, linear algebra, etc.

I have a professor this semester who is a professional engineer and has worked extensively in the field. He mentioned a little about how the field is and how the engineer plays many roles and doesn't simply work in one field. An engineer has to be a financial analyst, a designer, a programmer, a salesman, and other things. When a client comes with a problem, you have to come up with a solution and sell that solution to the client. I'm not good at selling though, I'm painfully shy. I'm afraid my lack of being a good salesman and lack of being good in groups would keep me from being a good engineer. I always feel claustrophobic in large groups. I currently work in retail and talk to many people, but it's a bit different because everyone asks the same thing and I sell the same thing every day (horrid job). I also tutor part time physics and math, but I tutor through an online company so I don't have to meet face to face with students. I am joining a honor society for mechanical engineering, but I feel so claustrophobic in the classroom with all the members while in tutoring sessions. I think maybe I have ADHD. When I get nervous and trying to have a conversation with someone I lose my train of thought half way through when trying to explain something. When working on something that requires extreme concentration, after several hours of work I can unfocus. For example, after working on projects or homework for several hours before my retail work, when I go to work I have a very hard time trying to get out of homework mode. It's hard to make words come out properly and have to put much effort into talking.

Do you think that might be a problem for engineering success? Do you think maybe a research field would better suit me? Maybe I'm just a bit intimidated by the fact, but maybe once I begin working in engineering I'll find a way to pace myself.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You will probably do fine. Your professor is right, engineers in industry do have to play many roles, however, it is rare that one person needs to be best at everything. If you have a solid grasp of engineering fundamentals, you should be able to work with other people who are better at the other things. The size of the organization you work in will affect this greatly. Smaller businesses require more flexibility in this regard, larger ones less [in general].

I hope so. I'll give it a shot.

thepatient said:
I'm not good at selling though

I wouldn't worry about that so much. The regular salespeople usually dread it when engineers have contact with clients. I once sat in on a troubleshooting call with a client who was doing an evaluation of our product... the salesperson in charge told all of the engineers present to not say anything, and raise our hands if we had a question or something to say, he'd mute the phone, get our input, and then pass it on to the client. :smile:

That said, you *should* expect to work with a team of engineers, and if you have problems communicating with them, this could be a real problem. I would worry less about sales skills though.

Two short stories:

(1) Some people figure it out earlier, but I discovered (had it forced upon me) during my graduate school experience. I can LEARN how to do ANYTHING.

(2) I was unceremoniously dumped onto the job market by Company X and Boss XX (hooiiiiccccchhhh ptui). I decided to start freelancing ("every engineer wants to own his own consulting business"). My sister with her Ph.D. in Psychology gave me an aptitude test. I tested miserably in the "sales" area, the most critical skill for a freelancer: I had a distinct fear of rejection. God bless her, she counseled me: "it doesn't mean you can't do it, it just means you have to work HARDER at it." It's a long story, but the short version is with (1) above I became a fearless cold-caller, kept calling until I got to the CEO, he referred me to the Engineering Manager, who listened to my pitch and invited me over immediately. My tenacity resulted in my biggest contract to date.

You can do what you believe you can do, and with the appropriate amount of effort applied to it. Personalities can change.

Thanks a ton for your experience tyger. I really appreciate it. I thought this thread ended after my last post I didn't notice there were more responses.

I'm definitely more motivated now. :]

Related to Overcoming Shyness to Succeed as an Engineer

1. How can overcoming shyness benefit me as an engineer?

Overcoming shyness can benefit you as an engineer by helping you to communicate effectively with your coworkers and clients. It can also boost your confidence and allow you to take on leadership roles, which can lead to career advancement and success.

2. What are some practical tips for overcoming shyness as an engineer?

Some practical tips for overcoming shyness as an engineer include practicing public speaking, actively listening to others, and stepping out of your comfort zone by volunteering for projects or speaking up in meetings. Additionally, seeking support from a therapist or joining a support group can also be helpful.

3. Can being introverted and shy hinder my success as an engineer?

No, being introverted and shy does not necessarily hinder success as an engineer. Many successful engineers are introverted and shy, and it is a common misconception that extroversion is necessary for success in this field. It is important to find a balance and use your introverted qualities to your advantage, such as being a good listener and being detail-oriented.

4. How can I build my confidence as a shy engineer?

Building confidence as a shy engineer can be achieved by setting small goals for yourself and celebrating your accomplishments, practicing positive self-talk, and surrounding yourself with supportive and encouraging people. It is also important to remember that making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process and not to be too hard on yourself.

5. How can I overcome shyness in a professional setting?

To overcome shyness in a professional setting, it can be helpful to prepare and practice for interactions or presentations beforehand, focus on your body language and maintaining eye contact, and remind yourself of your strengths and qualifications. It is also important to remember that everyone experiences shyness at some point, and it is okay to take a moment to collect your thoughts before speaking.