Almost done with bachelor of nuclear engineering, now what ?

In summary, the conversation suggests that the speaker is interested in working in the field of thermal hydraulics, preferably in the industry rather than academia. They are considering two options: pursuing a masters in either nuclear engineering or mechanical engineering. However, finding a job in the energy industry without a masters degree may be difficult. The other person suggests that getting a masters in mechanical engineering would make the speaker a more versatile engineer, and they may be able to take some nuclear engineering subjects as well. Alternatively, the speaker could try to find a job in the industry and see if the company will pay for their masters degree. The conversation also mentions the importance of gaining work experience and being open to job opportunities in different countries. Based on the speaker's interest
madhisoka
The field I am willing to work on is thermal hydraulics, I am more into the industry than academic work. I am now lost . the 2 options I have is either get a masters in nuclear engineering or maybe in mechanical engineering, or go into the industry and work in energy companies " which is hard to find without having masters.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like the Masters in mechanical engineering route, if only because your CV will say you are a versatile engineer. You may be able to do some NE subjects as well, you'd have to ask about that though, it may not be possible..

Maybe work in industry and see if they will pay your way to a Masters? This could also give you more perspective on which degree route to follow.

if you can get a job now, do so, there are no guarantees in a couple of years.

Likes gmax137
where (what country) are you studying, and where do you want to work?

if your interest is TH then mechanical probably makes more sense. NE master is going to have lots of reactor theory that you may not care about.

1. What career opportunities are available with a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering?

With a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering, you can pursue a career in various industries such as power generation, nuclear medicine, research and development, nuclear waste management, and national defense. You can also work in government agencies, consulting firms, and academic institutions.

2. Do I need a master's or doctoral degree to advance in my career in nuclear engineering?

While a master's or doctoral degree can open up more advanced career opportunities, it is not always necessary. With a bachelor's degree, you can still advance in your career through experience, certifications, and specialized training programs.

3. Is nuclear engineering a growing field?

Yes, nuclear engineering is a growing field with a high demand for professionals due to the increasing use of nuclear technology in various industries. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of nuclear engineers is projected to grow 4% from 2019 to 2029, which is as fast as the average for all occupations.

4. What skills are important for a career in nuclear engineering?

Some key skills for a career in nuclear engineering include strong math and science skills, critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, communication, and teamwork. Additionally, knowledge of nuclear physics, reactor design, and nuclear safety regulations is essential.

5. Are there any internship or co-op opportunities for nuclear engineering students?

Yes, many companies and organizations offer internships and co-op programs for students pursuing a degree in nuclear engineering. These opportunities provide hands-on experience and allow students to apply their knowledge in real-world settings, making them more competitive in the job market after graduation.