Pain in heart radiates to jaw implies pain in jaw radiates to heart?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Spinnor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heart Pain
In summary, the individual experienced discomfort in their chest area that they initially thought was related to heart problems, but now believes it may be due to their recent dental work. They are advised to seek medical attention immediately to rule out any serious issues.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Almost two weeks ago I had a lower rear molar numbed to oblivion, ground down, and caped with a temporary crown. Afterwards that tooth would from time to time get not painful but annoying. A pair of Advil would make things better. During this discomfort I noticed discomfort in my chest area as well. For a while I thought I was having heart problems but now think it was due to the tooth discomfort.

Does it seem possible that the discomfort in my tooth was giving rise to discomfort in my chest? Does a heart pain that radiates to my jaw imply a pain in my jaw can radiate to my heart?

Thanks for any help!

Biology news on Phys.org
No, the chest discomfort is most likely not related directly to your recent dental work.

Can you go to your local Urgent Care facility tonight? It would be best if you had an EKG and some blood work done to see if you may be having an MI. This is not something to be asking about on a web forum, my friend. I had a fellow EMT who was experiencing similar issues a few months ago, and it turned out he had serious blockage of 3 of the 4 major arteries that supply blood to the heart. He is doing much better now, but the EKG and blood work were fundamental in saving is life.

Please go to Urgent Care now, or call for your local Fire Department paramedics to come and hook you up to a 12-lead EKG.

Last edited:
Likes edward

1. What causes pain in the heart to radiate to the jaw?

There are several potential causes for this type of pain, including angina, heart attack, and pericarditis. It is important to seek medical attention to determine the underlying cause.

2. Can pain in the jaw also cause pain in the heart?

Yes, pain in the jaw can sometimes be a symptom of a heart condition such as a heart attack or angina. If you are experiencing this type of pain, it is important to seek immediate medical attention.

3. Are there any other symptoms that may accompany pain in the heart radiating to the jaw?

Yes, other symptoms may include chest pain or pressure, shortness of breath, dizziness, and nausea. These symptoms can vary depending on the underlying cause of the pain.

4. How is the underlying cause of this type of pain diagnosed?

A medical professional may use a combination of physical exams, imaging tests, and blood work to determine the cause of the pain. They may also ask about your medical history and any other symptoms you may be experiencing.

5. What are the treatment options for pain in the heart radiating to the jaw?

Treatment will depend on the underlying cause of the pain. In cases of a heart attack or angina, immediate medical attention is necessary. Other conditions may be treated with medication, lifestyle changes, or procedures such as angioplasty or bypass surgery.