Pairwise and joint distinguishability of quantum states

In summary, to show that n quantum states are jointly perfectly distinguishable, we can use the fact that they are pairwise perfectly distinguishable and construct a set of psd matrices that satisfies the necessary conditions.
entanglement witness
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing.
Hi!

I'm struggling with the following question:

Show that if n quantum states ρ1, ..., ρn are pairwise perfectly distinguishable, they are also jointly perfectly distinguishable.

Perfect distinguishability means that there is a set of psd matrices [tex]\{E_{1}, ..., E_{n}\},\, \sum_{i} E_{i} = \mathbb{1}[/tex] s.t. [tex] tr\left( E_{i} \rho_{j} \right) = \delta_{ij} [/tex]

I don't understand what exactly I have to show here. My assumption is that if for example [tex](E_{1}^{(2)}, \mathbb{1} - E_{1}^{(2)})[/tex] distinguishes ρ1 and ρ2, [tex](E_{1}^{(3)}, \mathbb{1} - E_1^{(3)})[/tex] ρ1 and ρ3 and so on, that [tex] E_{1}^{(2)} = ... = E_{1}^{(n)} =: E_{1}[/tex] (and likewise for all others), which would give the set I was looking for?

Now two states are perf. distinguishable if and only if [tex] \rho_{i} \rho_{j} = 0\, \forall i \neq j [/tex] i.e. the density matrices have orthogonal ranges. Since for psd matrices A, B [tex]tr(AB) = 0 \iff AB = 0[/tex] it follows that [tex]E_{1}^{(2)} \rho_{2} = ... = E_{1}^{(2)} \rho_{n} = 0 [/tex] the same for [tex] E_{1}^{(3)} ... E_{1}^{(n)}[/tex] thus [tex] E_{1}^{(2)} = ... = E_{1}^{(n)}[/tex]

But those are just my ideas. I hope somebody can explain how to tackle this correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there!

To show that the n quantum states ρ1, ..., ρn are jointly perfectly distinguishable, we need to show that there exists a set of psd matrices \{E_{1}, ..., E_{n}\},\, \sum_{i} E_{i} = \mathbb{1} s.t. tr\left( E_{i} \rho_{j} \right) = \delta_{ij} for all i, j.

Your idea is on the right track, but we need to show that the set of psd matrices \{E_{1}, ..., E_{n}\} is the same for all pairs of ρi and ρj, not just for ρ1 and ρ2.

To do this, we can use the fact that the n quantum states ρ1, ..., ρn are pairwise perfectly distinguishable. This means that for any two states ρi and ρj, there exists a psd matrix E_{ij} such that tr\left( E_{ij} \rho_{i} \right) = \delta_{ij} and tr\left( E_{ij} \rho_{j} \right) = \delta_{ij}. We can then define the set of psd matrices \{E_{1}, ..., E_{n}\} as follows:

E_{i} = \sum_{j \neq i} E_{ij}

This set of psd matrices satisfies the conditions we need, i.e. tr\left( E_{i} \rho_{j} \right) = \delta_{ij} for all i, j, and \sum_{i} E_{i} = \mathbb{1}, since for any i, tr\left( E_{i} \rho_{i} \right) = \delta_{ii} = 1 and for any i \neq j, tr\left( E_{i} \rho_{j} \right) = \delta_{ij} = 0.

Therefore, we have shown that if n quantum states ρ1, ..., ρn are pairwise perfectly distinguishable, they are also jointly perfectly distinguishable. I hope this helps clarify things for you! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the concept of pairwise distinguishability in quantum states?

Pairwise distinguishability in quantum states refers to the ability to distinguish between two different quantum states with a certain level of confidence. This is important in quantum information processing, as it allows for the reliable transmission and manipulation of quantum information.

2. How is pairwise distinguishability measured?

Pairwise distinguishability is typically measured using the trace distance, which is a metric that quantifies the difference between two quantum states. It is defined as half the sum of the absolute values of the differences between the eigenvalues of the two states.

3. What is joint distinguishability of quantum states?

Joint distinguishability of quantum states refers to the ability to distinguish between multiple quantum states simultaneously. This is important in quantum communication and cryptography, where multiple quantum states may be transmitted at once.

4. How is joint distinguishability different from pairwise distinguishability?

Joint distinguishability is a more complex concept than pairwise distinguishability, as it involves distinguishing between multiple quantum states at once. It also takes into account the correlations between the states, whereas pairwise distinguishability only considers the individual states.

5. What are the practical applications of studying pairwise and joint distinguishability of quantum states?

The study of pairwise and joint distinguishability of quantum states has important applications in quantum information processing, quantum communication, and quantum cryptography. It allows for the reliable transmission and manipulation of quantum information, which is crucial for the development of quantum technologies.