System of Two Quantum Particles

In summary: I think I get it now, thanks!In summary, we considered a system of two quantum particles with two possible states each, one with zero energy and one with energy ε>0. For distinguishable particles, we found the partition function to be Z(\beta, N) = (1+e^{-\beta \varepsilon})^{2}. For indistinguishable bosons, we used the expression Z=\sum_i e^{-\beta E_{i}} and found the partition function to be Z(\beta, N) = (e^{-\beta (0)})+(e^{-\beta \varepsilon})+(e^{-2 \beta \varepsilon}). For indistinguishable fermions, we also used
RawrSpoon

Homework Statement

Consider a system of two quantum particles. Each particle has two quantum states, one with zero energy and one with energy ε>0. For each of the three cases, draw a table of the possible microstates α of the system, and find the canonical partition function Z(β).

a)The two particles are distinguishable

b) The two particles are indistinguishable bosons

c) The two particles are indistinguishable fermions

Homework Equations

[tex]Z(\beta,N)=\prod_{i=1}^{N}\sum_{E_{i}=0,\varepsilon} e^{-\beta E_{i}}=(1+e^{-\beta \varepsilon})^{N}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The four states are pretty simple, they're {AB, 0}, {A, B}, {B, A}, {0, AB}. The partition function is also equally simple, being just [tex]Z(\beta, N) = (1+e^{-\beta \varepsilon})^{2}[/tex]

b) This is where I get lost. The states are also pretty simple, being {AA, 0} {A, A}, {0, AA}. But the partition function is where I don't really understand how to proceed.

c) I get lost even worse here. The only possible state for this one is {A, A}. Again, the partition function is what gets me.

Thanks in advance for any possible help

Physics news on Phys.org
RawrSpoon said:
[tex]Z(\beta,N)=\prod_{i=1}^{N}\sum_{E_{i}=0,\varepsilon} e^{-\beta E_{i}}=(1+e^{-\beta \varepsilon})^{N}[/tex]
This way of expressing ##Z## is not valid for parts (b) and (c) where the particles are indistinguishable.

For parts (b) and (c), use the more fundamental expression $$Z=\sum_i e^{-\beta E_{i}}$$ where the sum is over all possible microstates of the two-particle system. Here, ##i## labels the microstates and ##E_i## is the energy of the ##i^{\rm th}## microstate.

TSny said:
This way of expressing ##Z## is not valid for parts (b) and (c) where the particles are indistinguishable.

For parts (b) and (c), use the more fundamental expression $$Z=\sum_i e^{-\beta E_{i}}$$ where the sum is over all possible microstates of the two-particle system. Here, ##i## labels the microstates and ##E_i## is the energy of the ##i^{\rm th}## microstate.
Ok so then [tex]Z(\beta , N) = \sum_i e^{-\beta E_{i}} = (e^{-\beta (0)})+(e^{-\beta \varepsilon})+(e^{-2 \beta \varepsilon})[/tex]

I assume that [itex]E_{i}[/itex] is the total energy of each microstate, so given the microstates {AA,0}{A,A}{0,AA} I assume the energy is 0, [itex]\varepsilon[/itex], and [itex]2 \varepsilon[/itex]

Is this headed in the right direction or am I just totally off-base? I appreciate the responses :)

RawrSpoon said:
Ok so then [tex]Z(\beta , N) = \sum_i e^{-\beta E_{i}} = (e^{-\beta (0)})+(e^{-\beta \varepsilon})+(e^{-2 \beta \varepsilon})[/tex]

I assume that [itex]E_{i}[/itex] is the total energy of each microstate, so given the microstates {AA,0}{A,A}{0,AA} I assume the energy is 0, [itex]\varepsilon[/itex], and [itex]2 \varepsilon[/itex]

Is this headed in the right direction or am I just totally off-base? I appreciate the responses :)
That looks right.

TSny said:
That looks right.
Ahhhh it makes sense now. The reason the distinguishable particles is [tex]Z(\beta , 2) = (1+e^{-\beta \varepsilon})^{2}[/tex] is because expanding the expression gives two different states where [itex]E_{i}=\varepsilon[/itex] right? That means that for fermions, [tex]Z=e^{-\beta \varepsilon}[/tex] since [itex]E_{i}[/itex] can ONLY be [itex]\varepsilon[/itex] due to the Pauli Exclusion Principle. I think I get it now, thanks!

RawrSpoon said:
Ahhhh it makes sense now. The reason the distinguishable particles is [tex]Z(\beta , 2) = (1+e^{-\beta \varepsilon})^{2}[/tex] is because expanding the expression gives two different states where [itex]E_{i}=\varepsilon[/itex] right?
Yes, that's correct.

That means that for fermions, [tex]Z=e^{-\beta \varepsilon}[/tex] since [itex]E_{i}[/itex] can ONLY be [itex]\varepsilon[/itex] due to the Pauli Exclusion Principle.
Right. For this case, the system can only be in one state. So, you already know everything about the system. The partition function doesn't serve any purpose as far as I can see. It's just an academic exercise.

What is a "System of Two Quantum Particles"?

A system of two quantum particles refers to a physical system composed of two particles that exhibit quantum behavior, such as electrons, atoms, or photons. In quantum mechanics, these particles can be described by a wave function that contains information about their position, momentum, and other properties.

What is the significance of studying a "System of Two Quantum Particles"?

Studying a system of two quantum particles is important for understanding the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, as well as for applications in areas such as quantum computing and quantum information processing. It also allows for a deeper understanding of how particles interact with each other and the environment.

What is entanglement in a "System of Two Quantum Particles"?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even if they are physically separated. In a system of two quantum particles, entanglement can occur when the particles interact and their wave functions become correlated.

How is the behavior of a "System of Two Quantum Particles" described mathematically?

In quantum mechanics, the behavior of a system of two quantum particles is described using the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes how the wave function of a system evolves over time. This equation can be solved to determine the probabilities of various outcomes for measurements of the particles' properties.

What are some real-life examples of a "System of Two Quantum Particles"?

Examples of systems of two quantum particles include the interaction between two atoms, the entanglement of two photons, and the behavior of two electrons in a molecule. These systems can also be artificially created and controlled in laboratory settings, such as in quantum computers.