Paper on Laser Trapping and Cooling

In summary, the speaker is writing a term paper on laser trapping and cooling and is looking for good sources. They mention that they are an undergraduate student and do not need highly technical sources. Another person suggests a physics lab at a specific university and recommends using APS website for journal subscriptions. The speaker mentions that they will also mention BEC as an application.
Ryan P
Hey everybody, this is not exactly a homework question, but I am writing a term paper on the topic of laser trapping and cooling, and would appreciate any good sources that anyone could provide. This is an undergraduate thermal physics class, and does not need to be extremely technical.

Thanks very much for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I used to do research in this area. Are you doing just laser trapping and cooling or are you looking at BEC? There is a good physics lab here: http://www.colorado.edu/physics/phys3340/phys3340_sp10/.

If your university has good journal subscriptions go to the aps website and search the journals.

I am mainly writing on laser trapping, but I think it would be good to mention BEC as an application.

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll get right to it.

Related to Paper on Laser Trapping and Cooling

1. What is laser trapping and cooling?

Laser trapping and cooling is a technique used in physics and chemistry to capture and slow down particles using lasers. It involves using focused laser beams to create an optical trap that can hold and manipulate particles, such as atoms or molecules, in a small region of space.

2. How does laser trapping and cooling work?

The process of laser trapping and cooling involves using the momentum of photons in a laser beam to slow down and trap particles. The laser beam is directed at the particles, causing them to absorb and re-emit photons. This results in a net transfer of momentum to the particles, slowing them down and trapping them in the laser's focal point.

3. What are the applications of laser trapping and cooling?

Laser trapping and cooling has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It is used to study the properties and behavior of particles, as well as to manipulate and control them for various experiments. It has also been used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computers and atomic clocks.

4. What are the advantages of laser trapping and cooling over other particle manipulation techniques?

Laser trapping and cooling offers several advantages over other particle manipulation techniques, such as magnetic or electric fields. It allows for more precise control over the particles, as well as the ability to manipulate them without physical contact. It also allows for the trapping and cooling of a wider range of particles, including neutral atoms and molecules.

5. Are there any limitations to laser trapping and cooling?

While laser trapping and cooling has many advantages, it also has some limitations. One limitation is that it can only trap particles that interact with light, such as atoms or molecules. It is also limited by the intensity and stability of the laser beams used, which can affect the trapping and cooling process. Additionally, it can be challenging to trap and cool particles with high kinetic energy or complex internal structures.