Papers on Entropy in Quantum Mechanics Framework

In summary, the author recommends reading papers by Shannon, Frieden, and Shalizi that deal with entropy in a quantum mechanical framework.
VVS
Hey,
I am going to write my bachelor's thesis on Entropy in a Quantum Mechanical Framework. My professor told me he would refer me to some literature. However it will take him some time.
I would like to get started myself. Could you please refer me to papers, books, articles? I have already read Shannon's paper on A Mathematical Theory of Communication.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know whether this article is available online to the general public.
http://scitation.aip.org/content/aapt/journal/ajp/57/11/10.1119/1.15810

I haven't kept up with the Fisher-information line of thinking since that article came out. This book review indicates Roy Freiden had more to say: http://vserver1.cscs.lsa.umich.edu/~crshalizi/reviews/physics-from-fisher-info/ Nowadays, you can find many hits on Fisher information and physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a book that looks at physics entirely from the point of Fisher Information which is very similar to entropy (it's basically the concept of information in statistics and is seen in the information matrix along with all of the statistical results in statistical inference).

The book is called "Physics from Fisher Information - A Unification" by B Roy Frieden published by Cambridge University Press.

chiro said:
There is a book that looks at physics entirely from the point of Fisher Information which is very similar to entropy (it's basically the concept of information in statistics and is seen in the information matrix along with all of the statistical results in statistical inference).

The book is called "Physics from Fisher Information - A Unification" by B Roy Frieden published by Cambridge University Press.

The links that Stephen Tashi provided above include a review by Cosma Shalizi, (a physicist-turned-statistician and a professor at CMU, who writes a blog on various areas of science called the Three-Toed Sloth) who gave a negative review of the book by Frieden, and essentially state that much of the effort to look at physics entirely from Fisher information is misguided at best.

To the OP: Shalizi has provided links to numerous references that relate directly to the role of entropy in quantum mechanics. I've attached the links below.

http://bactra.org/notebooks/information-theory.html

http://bactra.org/notebooks/quantum-mechanics.html

Also take a look at eigenstate thermalization hypothesis (ETH). It's a tricky assumption quite crucial in quantum statistical mechanics, the analogue of the classical idea that the microcanonical and canonical ensemble are the same, which means--more physically speaking--that isolated systems or systems in contact with a thermal reservoir give similar results. In the classical case one can argue this quite convincingly, but I think that in QM it's quite mysterious, and probably not true in general.

1. What is entropy in the context of quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, entropy is a measure of the unpredictability or disorder of a system. It is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

2. How is entropy related to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle states that certain pairs of physical properties, such as position and momentum, cannot be simultaneously measured with perfect accuracy. This leads to an inherent uncertainty and unpredictability in the behavior of quantum systems, which is quantified by entropy.

3. Can entropy be decreased in a quantum system?

In classical thermodynamics, entropy is often associated with disorder and can be decreased through energy input or physical processes. However, in the quantum mechanics framework, entropy is a fundamental property of the system and cannot be decreased. It can only stay the same or increase.

4. How does entropy play a role in quantum information theory?

In quantum information theory, entropy is used to characterize the amount of uncertainty or randomness in a quantum system. It is a crucial tool for understanding the behavior and limitations of quantum communication and computation.

5. What is the relationship between entropy and the second law of thermodynamics in quantum mechanics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. In the quantum mechanics framework, this law is still valid, but it is interpreted as the tendency for quantum systems to evolve towards states of higher entropy and unpredictability.