Pappus Theorem and Ellipsoid Fig One: Is My Integral Approach Correct?

In summary, the beta does not disappear when integrating the equation for the volume of the solid of revolution. The result you are asked to prove will not be true if the ellipse intersects the x-axis at more than one point, ie if ##\beta<b##.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Be the set of points (x,y) which "figure one".
And in the semiplane y >= 0.
Show the volume of the solid obtained by rotation about the axis x, of the set A, is equal to the product of the area of the ellipsoid with the circumference generated in the rotation of the center (alpha,beta) of the ellipsoid
Relevant Equations
All below
fig one:
1594628242878.png

I just want to know if i am right in attack this problem by this integral:
1594628250157.png
*pi

Anyway, i saw this solution:
1594628212401.png

In which it cut beta, don't know why.

So i don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org
The result you are asked to prove will not be true if the ellipse intersects the x-axis at more than one point, ie if ##\beta<b##. You can easily see that by considering the case where ##\beta=0## so the ellipse centre is on the x axis. The formula will give zero but the solid of revolution has positive volume.

Assuming ##\beta\ge b## the integral you suggest will not give the volume of the solid of revolution, which will be a squashed torus. It will give the volume of the convex hull of that torus. That is, it will include the space encircled by the torus as if it were part of the solid. To remove that space you need to deduct the other branch of the square root function from your integrand, which will then become:

$$\left(\beta + \frac ba\sqrt{a^2 - (x-\alpha)^2}\right)
- \left(\beta - \frac ba\sqrt{a^2 - (x-\alpha)^2}\right)$$

Examine this formula for the integrand and you will see why ##\beta## disappears.

Likes LCSphysicist
andrewkirk said:
The result you are asked to prove will not be true if the ellipse intersects the x-axis at more than one point, ie if ##\beta<b##. You can easily see that by considering the case where ##\beta=0## so the ellipse centre is on the x axis. The formula will give zero but the solid of revolution has positive volume.

Assuming ##\beta\ge b## the integral you suggest will not give the volume of the solid of revolution, which will be a squashed torus. It will give the volume of the convex hull of that torus. That is, it will include the space encircled by the torus as if it were part of the solid. To remove that space you need to deduct the other branch of the square root function from your integrand, which will then become:

$$\left(\beta + \frac ba\sqrt{a^2 - (x-\alpha)^2}\right)
- \left(\beta - \frac ba\sqrt{a^2 - (x-\alpha)^2}\right)$$

Examine this formula for the integrand and you will see why ##\beta## disappears.
Hi, i returned to this question because i just remember now zz sorry
I tried again, and i almost get the result, but my integral was a little different.

While i am integrating:

1598127513169.png

f(x) is the positive root and f(x') is the negative root which you said.

The beta remains!

Seems to me the solution are integrating

1598127618915.png

Why am i wrong yet, I think i am not being able to visualize

You are correct, and I was wrong. The beta does not disappear.

We can rewrite your (correct) integral as:
$$V = \int_{\alpha - a}^{\alpha+a} \pi\left(
\left(\beta + \frac ba\sqrt{a^2 - (x-\alpha)^2}\right)^2
- \left(\beta - \frac ba\sqrt{a^2 - (x-\alpha)^2}\right)^2
\right)\,dx$$
We expand the two squares and cancel, to get:
$$
= 4\pi\beta\frac ba \int_{\alpha - a}^{\alpha+a}
\sqrt{a^2 - (x-\alpha)^2}
\,dx
$$
Dividing by the circumference mentioned in the OP, which is ##2\pi\beta##, gives:
$$
= 2\frac ba \int_{\alpha - a}^{\alpha+a}
\sqrt{a^2 - (x-\alpha)^2}
\,dx
$$
So it remains to prove that that is the area of the ellipse (which I think would be pretty straightforward).

Likes LCSphysicist

1. What is Pappus theorem?

Pappus theorem, also known as the Pappus-Guldinus theorem, is a mathematical principle that relates the volumes of two 3-dimensional objects that have the same cross-sectional area. It states that the volume of a solid generated by revolving a plane curve around an axis outside the curve is equal to the product of the area of the curve and the distance traveled by its centroid.

2. How is Pappus theorem related to ellipsoids?

Pappus theorem can be used to calculate the volume of an ellipsoid, which is a 3-dimensional shape that resembles a stretched sphere. By revolving an ellipse around its minor or major axis, we can generate an ellipsoid and use Pappus theorem to find its volume.

3. Can Pappus theorem be applied to any shape?

Yes, Pappus theorem can be applied to any shape that can be generated by revolving a plane curve around an axis outside the curve. This includes not only ellipsoids, but also cylinders, cones, and more complex shapes.

4. What is the significance of Pappus theorem?

Pappus theorem is significant because it provides a simple and efficient method for calculating the volume of 3-dimensional objects. It also has applications in engineering, physics, and other fields where the volume of curved objects needs to be determined.

5. Who was Pappus and why is this theorem named after him?

Pappus of Alexandria was a Greek mathematician who lived in the 4th century AD. He is known for his contributions to geometry, particularly for his work on conic sections and theorems related to them. Pappus theorem was named after him as it was first stated by him in his book "Collection", which contained various mathematical problems and solutions.