Parallel 120VAC / 24VDC Conductors?

In summary, the electrician wants to bring the conductor carrying 120VAC in from the bottom left-hand part of the enclosure and route it up the side and across the top to hit the power supply. The 24VDC cables will come in from the bottom right-hand part of the enclosure and run along the bottom and up the same side as the 120VAC conductor. However, if they do this, the electrician is concerned about the potential for crosstalk from 60Hz over a few feet.
sgtpepper777
I have an enclosure that has numerous 18AWG cables running through it. These conductors carry 24VDC which power locking mechanisms throughout a building. The enclosure also has a 10AWG cable run to it carrying 120VAC. This is used to power the 24VDC power supply.

The electrician wants to bring the conductor carrying 120VAC in from the bottom left-hand part of the enclosure and route it up the side and across the top to hit the power supply. The 24VDC cables will come in from the bottom right-hand part of the enclosure and run along the bottom and up the same side as the 120VAC conductor.

If we do it this way, we'll have about 2ft where the 120VAC line and the 24VDC lines are in parallel. There is no data communication involved, so I'm thinking the short parallel runs will not have a significant impact on the equipment, but I just want to confirm that before I give the OK.

I don't know if this matters, but the current on the 120VAC line will be a maximum of 1.9A. The current on the DC lines will be a maximum of 0.5A. The locking device can operate at a minimum of 21.6V (=24+/- 10%). The longest run will give me a voltage of 22V at the locking device after the line loss.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
0.4V of margin after line loss seems pretty slim to me. Does this include tolerance of the 24V power supply output? I would be more worried about this than crosstalk from 60Hz over a few feet.

In actuality, the power supply will be putting out a bit more than 24VDC, so I wasn't too concerned about the 0.4V margin. 25.6VDC is typical, which would be within the maximum 24VDC+10% tolerance of the lock and would end up being ~23.6V at the lock with my longest run. When I do the figures I typically use 24VDC for all calculations so that I have that built in safety cushion.

Based on your answer, though, it sounds like you're of the opinion that any impact from the short parallel run is negligible.

1. What is the purpose of using parallel 120VAC and 24VDC conductors?

The purpose of using parallel 120VAC and 24VDC conductors is to safely and efficiently carry electrical currents at different voltages. This is commonly used in electrical systems where both high and low voltage components are present.

2. How are parallel conductors connected?

Parallel conductors are connected by running them side by side and connecting them at the ends. This allows for a larger overall current carrying capacity and reduces voltage drop.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel conductors?

In series conductors, the current flows through one conductor and then through the next, while in parallel conductors, the current is split and flows through multiple conductors at the same time. This results in a higher overall current carrying capacity for parallel conductors.

4. What is the maximum number of parallel conductors that can be used in a circuit?

The maximum number of parallel conductors that can be used in a circuit depends on the specific application and the size and type of the conductors being used. It is important to consult with electrical codes and regulations to determine the maximum number of conductors that can be safely used in a specific circuit.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using parallel 120VAC and 24VDC conductors?

Yes, there are safety concerns when using parallel 120VAC and 24VDC conductors. It is important to properly size and connect the conductors to avoid overheating and potential electrical hazards. It is also important to follow all safety regulations and guidelines when working with electrical systems.