In summary, the conversation discusses a physics experiment to confirm the parallel axis theorem. The setup involves changing the distance between the center of a rotating disc and the central axis, recording the time for 5 rotations, and using this to calculate the moment of inertia. The experiment also measures the mass and radius of the disc and then plots the moment of inertia against the square of the radius. From this, a straight line graph with a non-zero intercept is produced. The question is how to use this data to confirm the parallel axis theorem, and the correct equation to do so is Itotal = Iapparatus + Idisk + mr^2.
bobdylan

Homework Statement

I am currently working on a physics experiment to confirm the parallel axis theorem. To do this, I have the following setup:

aT7vs.png

In this experiment I change the distance between the centre of the rotating disc and the central axis. I record the time for 5 complete rotations and use this to calculate the moment of inertia. I also measure the mass and the radius of the rotating disc. I then plot the moment of inertia against the square of the radius and this produces a straight line graph with a non-zero intercept.

How can I now use this data to confirm the parallel axis theorem?

Homework Equations

8d3ce730f104d2f33db72caec81b55ac055d27c2
and
00162d0dc4ecf6dade58332e43a0161f1185cf62

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I think the graph should be of the form:

Itotal = Iapparatus + Idisk + mr^2

Is this correct?

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-18_20-13-15.png
    upload_2018-3-18_20-13-15.png
    409 bytes · Views: 499
  • aT7vs.png
    aT7vs.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,571
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Robert, :welcome:
bobdylan said:
Itotal = Iapparatus + Idisk + mr^2
Is correct. Now you need something to relate the time for five revolutions with ##I_{\rm total}##.

1. What is the Parallel Axis Theorem Experiment?

The Parallel Axis Theorem Experiment is a scientific experiment used to demonstrate the concept of the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia of an object is dependent on its distance from the axis of rotation. It involves measuring the moment of inertia of an object about its center of mass and then about a parallel axis passing through a different point on the object.

2. Why is the Parallel Axis Theorem important?

The Parallel Axis Theorem is important because it helps in calculating the moment of inertia of complex objects that cannot be easily measured. It is also a fundamental concept in the study of rotational motion and is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and robotics.

3. What materials are needed for the Parallel Axis Theorem Experiment?

The materials needed for the Parallel Axis Theorem Experiment include a ruler or measuring tape, a balance, a stopwatch, a cylindrical or rectangular object, and a pivot point such as a pencil or nail.

4. How is the Parallel Axis Theorem Experiment performed?

To perform the Parallel Axis Theorem Experiment, the object's mass and dimensions are measured and recorded. Then, the object is suspended from a pivot point and its period of oscillation is measured. The experiment is repeated with the object suspended from a different pivot point. The moment of inertia is then calculated using the measured values and the parallel axis theorem formula.

5. What are the potential sources of error in the Parallel Axis Theorem Experiment?

Some potential sources of error in the Parallel Axis Theorem Experiment include inaccuracies in measuring the object's mass and dimensions, air resistance affecting the object's period of oscillation, and the object not being perfectly symmetrical. To minimize these errors, it is important to take multiple measurements and calculate the average, as well as make sure the object is balanced and the experiment is performed in a controlled environment.