Kinetic energy of rotation and parallel axis theorem problem

In summary, a circular disc of radius 25 cm and mass 0.5 kg is revolving in its plane with an angular velocity of 4 radians per second. If a mass of 10 kg is suddenly fixed on the rim of the disc, its new angular velocity is 0.44 rad /s.
LuigiAM

Homework Statement

A circular disc of radius 25 cm and mass 0.5 kg is revolving in its plane with an angular velocity of 4 radians per second. Find A) its kinetic energy of rotation, and B) its new angular velocity if a mass of 10 kg is suddenly fixed on the rim of the disc.

Homework Equations

Ek = 1/2 I ω2

Moment of inertia for disc = I = 1/2 mr2

Parallel axis theorem: Io = 1/2 mr2 + mr

Conservation of angular momentum: Li = Lf

The Attempt at a Solution

A)
I = 1/2 mr2
I = 1/2 (0.5 kg) (0.25 m)2 = 0.015625 kg m2

Kinetic energy of rotation = = 1/2 I ω2
Kinetic energy of rotation = 1/2 (0.015625)(4)2 = 0.125 J

B)
The new mass shifts the axis of rotation from the center point of the disc to a point O on the rim of the disc. The distance between the two points is equal to the radius (0.25 m). Parallel axis theorem applies:

Io = moment of inertia on the new point on the rim of the disc
Io = 1/2 mr2 + mr
Io = 1/2(0.5 kg)(0.25 m)2 + (0.5 kg)(0.25 m)
Io = 0.140625 kg m2

Since there are no external torque acting of the disc, conservation of angular momentum applies. So, initial angular momentum is equal to final angular momentum.

I * ωi = Io * ωf
(0.0156 kg m2)(4 rad/s) = (0.140625 kg m2) ωf
ωf = 0.44 rad /s

The new angular velocity is 0.44 rad /s

I did my best to solve the problem as well as I could. Is my reasoning correct?

One thing I am not sure at all about is the effect of the mass of 10kg that was used to basically fix a new point of rotation on the disc. The way I understand it is that all that new mass does is just shift the axis of rotation to a new point, so we apply the parallel axis theorem to get the new moment of inertia. So the calculations would be the same if the mass was 20kg or 50kg, etc.

I appreciate any help!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you say that new mass will shift the axis of rotation if there is no any external force on it and one error in calculation of new moment of inertia you added mr but it will be mr^2

Hi,

Thanks for the response

Oh thanks, yes I see the error in calculation.

For the rest: I assume the new mass will shift the axis of rotation because:

The way the problem is written, the disc is revolving in its plane so it is rotating about its center. Angular velocity is constant so it's just an equilibrium rotation.

If we fix a mass to the edge of the rim, isn't it like nailing a wooden bar to a wall? When we nail a wooden bar to a wall, the bar will tend rotate about the nail instead of about its center of mass.

Is it mistaken to assume this is the same kind of problem but with a disc instead of a bar? My first reflex when reading it was that the big weight would just stop the disc altogether, but it says nothing about the size of the weight or about friction, etc.

Either bar or disc the concept will be same.if axis of rotation will changed then how can you apply conservation of momentum.

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

My notes say that if the sum of the external torques on a rotating body is zero, then the total angular momentum remains constant.

My understanding is that the new weight that is fixed to the rim simply changes the axis of rotation but is not in itself a torque since it doesn't act in or against the direction of rotation. It changes the moment of inertia, which leads to a change in angular velocity, but it does not give an angular acceleration.

Likes Abhishek kumar
LuigiAM said:
Hi,

Thanks for the help.

My notes say that if the sum of the external torques on a rotating body is zero, then the total angular momentum remains constant.

My understanding is that the new weight that is fixed to the rim simply changes the axis of rotation but is not in itself a torque since it doesn't act in or against the direction of rotation. It changes the moment of inertia, which leads to a change in angular velocity, but it does not give an angular acceleration.
Correct

Yeah! Thanks

LuigiAM said:
If we fix a mass to the edge of the rim, isn't it like nailing a wooden bar to a wall?
Only if the attached mass is infinite, which it isn't.
LuigiAM said:
it says nothing about the size of the weight
It is given as 10kg.

So for part B is the correct formula, Io = 1/2 mr^2 + mr^2

Why is this?

Sorry so late to this post.

KMconcordia said:
So for part B is the correct formula, Io = 1/2 mr^2 + mr^2
No.
There are a couple of ways to approach this problem.
You can find the mass centre of the system then use that angular momentum will be conserved about that point. I tend to avoid finding mass centres of systems because there is usually an easier way, but in this case it might be simplest.
Alternatively, you can take conservation of angular momentum about any fixed point - the initial position of either the centre of the disc or the point where the mass is attached, say. This way, you can just treat each body as contributing to angular momentum, but you will also need to use conservation of linear momentum. E.g. if you take the initial position of the disc's centre as axis then the subsequent linear motion of the attached particle needs to be related to the new angular rotation rate.

My problem Is slightly different, would you say this is correct? Sorry I am just very confused.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 358
KMconcordia said:
My problem Is slightly different, would you say this is correct? Sorry I am just very confused.
You should really open your own thread, but it certainly is the same as the original problem in this thread.
Your calculation of the new MoI is in respect of an axis at the perimeter of the disc. That would be fine if that point were the new centre of rotation, but it will not be. The mass of the attached object must feature in the answer. E.g. if the attached mass is very small there will be little change to the rotation of the disk.

1. What is the formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is Erot = 1/2 * I * ω2, where Erot is the rotational kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

2. How does rotational kinetic energy differ from linear kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its rotational motion, while linear kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its linear motion. The main difference is that rotational kinetic energy takes into account the object's moment of inertia and angular velocity, while linear kinetic energy only considers mass and velocity.

3. Can you explain the parallel axis theorem and its significance in rotational kinetic energy?

The parallel axis theorem states that the moment of inertia of an object can be calculated by adding the moment of inertia of the object's center of mass and the product of the mass of the object and the square of the distance between the object's center of mass and the axis of rotation. This theorem is significant in rotational kinetic energy as it allows us to calculate the moment of inertia for objects that are not rotating around their center of mass.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect an object's rotational kinetic energy?

The distribution of mass affects an object's rotational kinetic energy by changing its moment of inertia. Objects with a higher moment of inertia will have a greater rotational kinetic energy, as they require more energy to rotate at a given angular velocity.

5. Can you provide an example problem using the parallel axis theorem to calculate rotational kinetic energy?

Sure, let's say we have a thin rod of length 2 meters and mass 3 kg, rotating around its center of mass with an angular velocity of 5 rad/s. To calculate its rotational kinetic energy, we can use the parallel axis theorem to find its moment of inertia. The moment of inertia of a thin rod rotating around its end is given by I = 1/3 * m * L2, where m is the mass and L is the length. Using this formula, we can calculate the moment of inertia to be 1 kg*m2. Plugging this value into the formula for rotational kinetic energy, we get Erot = 1/2 * 1 kg*m2 * (5 rad/s)2 = 12.5 J.