Parallel boat to dock jump. Sense of Humor required

In summary: If you jump too high, you won't make it. In summary, the boat's horizontal speed after you jump to the dock is 1.5 m/s.
burton95

Homework Statement

The deck of the boat is parallel to the dock as you jump from the boat and the direction of your velocity as you jump is 30° above the horizontal. If the boat was stationary when you jumped and 1.5 m away from the dock, what is the horizontal speed of the boat (in m/s) after you jump to the dock? Assume that your mass is 70 kg and the mass of the boat (including the captain) is 1400 kg.

Homework Equations

Pf = Pi

(Fnet) = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

0 = m1vf1 + m2vf2

vf2 = -m1vf1/m2(fnet)x = Fcosθ = m1a1
a= Fcosθ/m1

(fnet)y = -Fsinθ + n - m1g = 0

I feel like I'm heading in the wrong direction right now. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
How you tackle this depends on how precise you want the answer. Strictly speaking, you should allow for the fact that the boat's movement will rob you of some horizontal speed. It then becomes important whether the take-off angle is relative to the boat as a frame of reference or relative to the dock. Let's assume the second.
Suppose your horizontal velocity relative to the dock is u. What was your vertical take off velocity? How long will it take to reach the dock? What height will you be at then? What does that tell you about u?

I took off the long funny part. Kind of inappropriate

burton

relative to the dock I'm jumping 60 degrees. u = F*Sinθ and v = Fcosθ right?

I don't understand how I get the velcotiy of my jump

burton95 said:
relative to the dock I'm jumping 60 degrees.
You may have misunderstood my point. If you jump at some angle to the horizontal relative to stationary ground, the angle of your jump will appear different to a passer by moving at some speed relative to the ground. Let's agree the question means 30 degrees to the horizontal as judged by a person standing on the dock.
u = F*Sinθ and v = Fcosθ right?
That depends what θ, F, u and v mean. Please define.
I don't understand how I get the velcotiy of my jump
It needs to be just sufficient to reach the dock.

1. What is a parallel boat to dock jump?

A parallel boat to dock jump is a type of stunt where a person jumps from one boat to a dock while both are moving in parallel. It requires precise timing and coordination to successfully complete the jump.

2. Is this stunt dangerous?

Like any stunt, there is always a risk involved. However, with proper safety precautions and training, the risk can be minimized. It is important to always wear a life jacket and have a spotter nearby.

3. How do you develop a sense of humor for this stunt?

A sense of humor is not something that can be developed, but it is important to have a lighthearted and positive attitude when attempting this stunt. It is also important to be able to laugh at yourself and not take yourself too seriously.

4. What are some tips for successfully completing a parallel boat to dock jump?

Some tips for successfully completing this stunt include practicing on a stationary dock first, ensuring both boats are moving at a similar speed, and having a good sense of balance and coordination. It is also important to have a plan for landing on the dock, such as having a soft surface to land on.

5. Can anyone attempt this stunt?

It is not recommended for everyone to attempt this stunt. It requires a certain level of physical fitness, coordination, and training. It is important to consult with a professional and take proper safety precautions before attempting this stunt.