Parallel transport and entanglement

• I
  • Thread starter Heidi
  • Start date
Heidi
Hi Pfs,
When Bob and Alice receive maximally entangled particles, Bob can choose a direction and measure the spin along it.
If Alice does the same thing in the same direction she will get the same result. But what is "same direction" when space time is curved between them? Have we to use parallel transport of Bob's direction toward Alice?
Il looks like when you make a measurement on a particle, if nothing acts on the particle. repeating the same measurement
will give you the same result but if there is the action of an hamiltonian, doing the same measurement to get the same result is also something that evolves (with tim here)

Likes gentzen
Physics news on Phys.org
Heidi said:
Have we to use parallel transport of Bob's direction toward Alice?
No. In case the two particles were initially created in the singlet state (i.e. with total spin 0), then you could transport the direction along the trajectories of the particles. (But note that in this case, "If Alice does the same thing in the opposite direction she will get the same result".)

In general, you just have to "know" how the directions map to each other, because being maximally entangled does not yet fully specify the state. For example, if you have two particles in the singlet state, you can apply a unitary (2x2) matrix to one of the particles, and the state will remain maximally entangled. This unitary matrix gives you some mapping of directions.

Likes topsquark
Heidi said:
Hi Pfs,
When Bob and Alice receive maximally entangled particles, Bob can choose a direction and measure the spin along it.
If Alice does the same thing in the same direction she will get the same result. But what is "same direction" when space time is curved between them? Have we to use parallel transport of Bob's direction toward Alice?
I would assume the entangled state would act effectively as a gyroscope through curved spacetime. I wonder to what extent this has been tested?

Likes Heidi and topsquark
You'd have to use quantum field theory in the given background spacetime to see, what comes out. For sure it's highly non-trivial.

What do you think of the repeated measurement seen as entanglement (with timelike interval) ?

Heidi said:
Have we to use parallel transport of Bob's direction toward Alice?
No, because any such transport in curved spacetime will not be unique.

The best approach I can see, theoretically, would be to Fermi-Walker transport (the more robust version of parallel transport that can handle non-geodesic curves) each of the measurement directions backwards along the worldlines of the two particles, to the event of their common creation, and then compare the directions. I think that is what a calculation using QFT in curved spacetime would end up amounting to. But that's just my intuitive guess; I have not actually tried to do the calculation (which, as @vanhees71 points out, would be highly non-trivial).

Likes Heidi, vanhees71 and gentzen

What is parallel transport?

Parallel transport is a concept in differential geometry that describes how a vector or tensor is transported along a curve or path on a manifold. It takes into account the curvature of the manifold and ensures that the vector or tensor remains parallel to itself throughout the transport.

What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. This connection is known as quantum entanglement and it is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

How are parallel transport and entanglement related?

Parallel transport and entanglement are both concepts in mathematics and physics that involve the transport or connection of objects. In particular, entanglement can be thought of as a type of parallel transport in the quantum world, where the state of one particle is transported to the other through the entangled connection.

What are some applications of parallel transport and entanglement?

Parallel transport and entanglement have many applications in both mathematics and physics. For example, parallel transport is used in the study of curvature in differential geometry, while entanglement is essential for quantum computing and communication. Both concepts also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

Can parallel transport and entanglement be observed in the real world?

Yes, parallel transport and entanglement have been observed and studied in various experiments in the real world. For example, entanglement has been demonstrated in experiments with photons, electrons, and other particles. Parallel transport has also been observed in physical systems, such as in the movement of particles in curved space-time.