How Much Ethylene Oxide Can Be Produced from 35100 L of Ethylene and Oxygen?

• Thread starter jegues
  • Start date
In summary: And the equation would be 2C_{2}H_{4} + O_{2} \rightarrow 2C_{2}H_{4}O so the pressure should be 1 atm?Yes, the pressure should be 1 atm.
jegues

Homework Statement

Ethylene oxide is produced industrially from the reaction of ethylene with oxygen at atmospheric pressure and 283 oC, in the presence of silver catalyst.

[tex]C_{2}H_{4} + O_{2} \rightarrow C_{2}H_{4}O[/tex]

Assuming 100 % yield, how many kg of ethylene oxide can be produced from 35100 L of a mixture containing ethylene and oxygen in 1:1 molar ratio?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I balanced the equation like so,

[tex]2C_{2}H_{4} + O_{2} \rightarrow 2C_{2}H_{4}O[/tex]

I then converted the temp. from celsius to kelvin so,

I'm not sure what value I should use for pressure, in a question like this am I just assuming that P = 1atm?

I then applied PV= nRT and solved for moles. Once I have the number of moles I used the molar mass to get it into grams and then I converted grams to kilograms.

I still got the answer wrong however.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT:Also, what value for the gas constant do I use that will work with the units K, mol, atm, and L?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show details of your work.

You are told it is happening at atmospheric pressure, and that means 1 atm.

R value - check whichever fits the units. There are many lists of http://www.chemistry-quizzes.info/faq.php on the web.

[tex]n = \frac{PV}{RT}[/tex]

[tex]n = \frac{1atm \cdot 35100L}{0.082 \cdot 525.15K} = 815.10 \text{mols of Ethylene oxide} [/tex]

Molar mass of Ethylene oxide 44.05 g/mol

So,

[tex]44.05\text{g/mol} \cdot 815.10\text{mols} = 35905.07g = 35.91kg[/tex]

This answer is incorrect.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Think about initial amounts of gases and stoichiometry.

And check your kelvins.

--

Do you have enough oxygen?

So I should use PV=nRT to find the mols of oxygen, then I'll know whether it's a limiting reactant or not, correct?

Yes and no. Yes - you have to check what is a limiting reagent. No - you don't need PV=nRT for that. You are already told what is mixture composition.

--

1. What is parameterization in scientific research?

Parameterization refers to the process of defining and assigning numerical values to parameters in a scientific model in order to study their effects on the system being studied.

2. Why is parameterization important in scientific research?

Parameterization allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems by simplifying them into smaller, more manageable components. It also helps to identify the most influential factors in a system and how they interact with each other.

3. How do scientists determine the values for parameters?

The values for parameters are often determined through a combination of experimental data, theoretical calculations, and expert knowledge. In some cases, parameters may also be optimized using algorithms or data fitting techniques.

4. Can parameters change over time?

Yes, parameters can change over time in some scientific models. For example, in climate models, parameters such as atmospheric composition and land use can change as the Earth's climate changes.

5. What are some challenges in parameterization?

One of the main challenges in parameterization is the selection of appropriate values for parameters, as they may vary depending on the specific system being studied. Additionally, parameterization can also be computationally intensive and may require a significant amount of time and resources to complete.