Parametric equation for a tangent line (multi vars)

In summary, the problem is asking for the parametric equation of the line tangent to the curve x=t^3-1, y=t^4+1, z=t at the point (26, 82, 3). Using the given variable t as the parameter, the derivatives dx/dt=3t^2, dy/dt=4t^3, dz/dt=1 are found. However, when substituting the given point into the equations, the value of t should not change. The correct approach is to plug in t as the parameter and not substitute the given point coordinates.
forest125

Homework Statement

Find the parametric equation for the line tangent to the curve:

x=t^3-1, y=t^4+1, z=t

at the point (26, 82, 3).

Use the variable t for your parameter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dx/dt=3t^2, dy/dt=4t^3, dz/dt=1

I got then that

x=26+(3*26^2)t
y=82+(4*82^3)t
z=3+t

and only the z component is correct. Where am I going wrong. Any help is really appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look, at your given point t=3. When you are working out the d/dt parts why are you substituting x and y for t?

You should not plug back your given point coordinates into "t" in your derived equations. Your value of t is constant. And technically it's given in your problem.

I substituted x and y into my derivatives to find the slope of the that component of the line at that point. I then multiply it by t, and add x and y for intercepts or to start from the origin.

t is t. x is x. y is y. z happens to be t. You got lucky on the z component because z=t. Just put t in where your equations say 't'. Don't substitute x for t just because it happens to be the 'x' component.

I don't know why I'm so hung up on this question.

For the x component for instance,

it the curve is t^3-1, the slope of the tangent is 3t^2. If we're talking about the slope of the tangent at 26 in the curve, why wouldn't we plug in 26 for t in dx/dt?

What is the next step I should take after finding the derivative?

Oh jesus. t=3 right. That can't change.

Wow I feel stupid. Thanks all for the help.

Related to Parametric equation for a tangent line (multi vars)

What is a parametric equation for a tangent line?

A parametric equation for a tangent line is a mathematical equation that represents a straight line tangent to a curve at a given point. It is expressed in terms of a parameter, usually denoted by t, which describes the position of the point on the curve.

How is the parametric equation for a tangent line different from the standard equation for a line?

The parametric equation for a tangent line is different from the standard equation for a line in that it is expressed in terms of a parameter, whereas the standard equation is expressed in terms of the x and y coordinates of the points on the line. This allows for a more general representation of the tangent line on a curve.

What information is needed to find the parametric equation for a tangent line?

To find the parametric equation for a tangent line, we need the coordinates of the point on the curve where the tangent line is to be drawn, as well as the slope of the tangent line at that point. This can be calculated using the derivative of the curve at that point.

Can a parametric equation for a tangent line be used for curves in multiple dimensions?

Yes, a parametric equation for a tangent line can be used for curves in multiple dimensions. In this case, the equation would include additional parameters for each dimension, allowing for a more general representation of the tangent line on the curve.

What is the purpose of using a parametric equation for a tangent line?

The purpose of using a parametric equation for a tangent line is to simplify the calculation of the slope of the tangent line at a given point on a curve. It also allows for a more general representation of the tangent line on the curve, making it useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.