Parametric Equations describing curves

In summary, the student attempted to solve for y as a function of x using the first equation and the given x values, but was not able to find the range. They then plugged in x= 0 and x= 1 to find the range and solved for part D.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

ScreenShot2014-12-04at62850AM_zpscc55710d.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A) my answer was:[/B]
[itex]\int_a^b \sqrt{(dx/dt)^2+(dy/dt)^2}dt[/itex]

The work I used for part A was based off this sites explanation: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/ParaArcLength.aspx

For part B)
I simple took the derivatives with respect to t of the giving x and y functions then squared them and solved the integral from 0 to 1.
The answer I received was 3/2.
I have strong verification that this is correct.

Part C)
Part C is where I am stuck. When they say y=F(x) I usually connect a capital F with the antiderivative. Does this hold true?
How do we describe the curve using y=F(x)?

Part D seems rather straightforward once part C is understood.

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given [tex]x= (4/3)t^{3/2}[/tex] and [tex]y= t- (1/2)t^2[/tex] and you want to write y as a function of x.

Solve the first equation for t as a function of x and replace the t in the second equation with that.

Likes RJLiberator
[(3/4)*x]^(2/3)=t

y = [(3/4)*x]^(2/3)-(1/2)([(3/4)*x]^(2/3))^2

This is writing y as a function of x, correct?

So now with this information I can plug in x = 0 and x = 1 to get the range of x?

And then I can use this equation to solve for part D? I assume.

Kind regards.

RJLiberator said:
[(3/4)*x]^(2/3)=t

y = [(3/4)*x]^(2/3)-(1/2)([(3/4)*x]^(2/3))^2

This is writing y as a function of x, correct?

Correct? Hard to say. If you would write it in Latex it would be readable.

So now with this information I can plug in x = 0 and x = 1 to get the range of x?

No. Those are the end point ##t## values. What are the corresponding ##x## values?

Likes RJLiberator
Perhaps I need to use

(3x/4)^(2/3) = t and let 1 be 1 and 0 to find the range.

Thus the range would be from 0 to 4/3

Yes, the range is from x= 0 to x= 4/3. But I see no reason to solve for t to find that. You were given that [tex]x= (4/3)t^{3/2}[/tex] just set t equal to 0 and 1 in that.

Likes RJLiberator
Excellent. Yes, thank you for confirming the result and showing the way.

:)

What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a way to describe a curve or a set of points on a graph using two or more equations. Each equation represents a variable, such as x or y, and together they form a set of coordinates that trace out the curve.

How are parametric equations different from rectangular equations?

Parametric equations use different variables to describe the coordinates of a point, while rectangular equations use x and y coordinates. Parametric equations are also more flexible and can describe more complex curves that cannot be easily represented with rectangular equations.

What is the purpose of using parametric equations to describe curves?

Parametric equations can be used to describe a wide variety of curves, including circles, ellipses, parabolas, and more. They are also useful in computer graphics and animation, as well as in physics and engineering for modeling and analyzing motion.

How do you graph parametric equations?

To graph parametric equations, you can plot several points by substituting different values for the variables in the equations. These points can then be connected to form a smooth curve. Alternatively, many graphing calculators have functions to graph parametric equations directly.

What are some real-life applications of parametric equations?

Parametric equations are used in a variety of fields, such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. They can be used to model the trajectory of a projectile, the motion of a pendulum, or the shape of a rollercoaster. They are also used in art and design, such as in creating 3D animations or designing curved structures.