Parametric Equations of a Plane

In summary, to find the parametric equations for a plane through three distinct points A, B, and C, you can find the vector equation by first getting the normal vector and then multiplying it by a vector that includes the coordinates of point A. From there, you can obtain the parametric equations by finding two non-collinear direction vectors and using any of the three points to create the vector equation.
lostinphys
Here is my question: When given three distict points A, B, C, find the parametric equations for the plane throught these three points.
I was able to get the plane through these three points, first of all by getting the normal vector n = ABxAC, then by multiplying this vector by [(X-Xo)+(Y-Yo)+(Z-Zo)]. Where Xo, Yo, and Zo are the coordinates of point A.
But from this point on I don't know how to obtain the parametric equations from the plane equation. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
lostinphys said:
Here is my question: When given three distict points A, B, C, find the parametric equations for the plane throught these three points.
I was able to get the plane through these three points, first of all by getting the normal vector n = ABxAC, then by multiplying this vector by [(X-Xo)+(Y-Yo)+(Z-Zo)]. Where Xo, Yo, and Zo are the coordinates of point A.
But from this point on I don't know how to obtain the parametric equations from the plane equation. Please help!

You can first find the vector equation then convert it to parametric equations.

You have the three points A, B, and C. Find vector AB and vector AC then double check to make sure that they are not collinear (as you need two non-collinear direction vectors for equation of a plane). You now have two direction vectors and pick any point A, B, or C and you should have the vector equation. From there you can find the parametric equations.

What are parametric equations of a plane?

Parametric equations of a plane describe the coordinates of points on a plane using two independent variables, typically denoted by u and v. These equations are used to graph and analyze curves and surfaces in three-dimensional space.

How do you write parametric equations of a plane?

The general form of parametric equations for a plane is: x = x0 + au + bv y = y0 + cu + dv z = z0 + eu + fv Where (x0, y0, z0) is a point on the plane and (a, b, c, d, e, f) are constants. These equations can also be written in vector form as r = r0 + uA + vB, where r0 is the position vector of a point on the plane and A and B are direction vectors.

How are parametric equations of a plane used in real life?

Parametric equations of a plane have numerous applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. They are used to model and analyze the motion of objects, design and construct buildings and structures, and create computer-generated images and animations.

What is the significance of the constants in parametric equations of a plane?

The constants in parametric equations of a plane represent the direction and orientation of the plane in three-dimensional space. By manipulating these constants, the position, size, and orientation of the plane can be altered, allowing for a wide range of possible planes to be described.

How are parametric equations of a plane related to Cartesian equations of a plane?

Parametric equations of a plane and Cartesian equations of a plane describe the same mathematical object, but in different forms. Parametric equations use two independent variables to define points on the plane, while Cartesian equations use three variables and an equality statement. Both forms have their own advantages and applications depending on the context in which they are used.