Parametric -> Implicit Equations

In summary, the given parametric curve x=xsint, y=sin(2t) where t is in R can be represented by the implicit equation 4x^2 = 4y^2 + x^4, or any variation of this equation. This can be derived by using the original equations x=2sint, y=sin(2t) without dividing by x.
JC3187
Hi guys,

I have done what I can with the following:

Given a parametric curve x = xsint, y = sin(2t) where t is in R.

Find an implicit equation of this curve.

MY ANSWER:
y = 2costsint = costx

Therefore sint = x/2, cost = y/x

sin^2(t) + cos^2(t) = x^2 / 4 + y^2 / x^2 = 1

Would this be right?
I understand that x != 0 but why can't I just multiply every value underlined by 4x^2?

Thank you, any input is appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JC3187 said:
Hi guys,

Given a parametric curve x = xsint, y - sin(2t) where t is in R.

Please correct the typo's so we know what the actual equations are.

JC3187 said:
Hi guys,

I will assume, from your work below, that the equations are ##x=2\sin t,~y=\sin(2t)##

MY ANSWER:
y = 2costsint = costx

Would this be right?
I understand that x != 0 but why can't I just multiply every value underlined by 4x^2?

Yes, you can multiply through by ##4x^2##. The original equations certainly allow ##x=0## and the only problem is that you divided by ##x## in your solution. You could have derived the same equation as you get when you multiply through by ##4x^2## without ever dividing by ##x##. So you should give the answer as $$
4x^2 = 4y^2+x^4$$or some variation of that.

Likes 1 person
JC3187 said:
Hi guys,

MY ANSWER:
y = 2costsint = costx

Would this be right?

Do you mean
x = sin(t)

and

y = sin(2t)

?​

Yes sorry That is what I meant.

How do you derive it from the original equation?
x=2sint, y=sin(2t) without dividing by x?

JC3187 said:
Yes sorry That is what I meant.

How do you derive it from the original equation?
x=2sint, y=sin(2t) without dividing by x?

$$x^2+y^2=4\sin^2 t + (2\sin t\cos t)^2=4\sin^2t(1+\cos^2 t)
=4\sin^2 t(2-\sin^2 t) = x^2(2-\frac{x^2} 4) = \frac{x^2(8-x^2)}{4}$$

Likes 1 person

Related to Parametric -> Implicit Equations

1. What is the difference between parametric and implicit equations?

Parametric equations are equations that represent a set of coordinates (x, y) in terms of a third parameter, usually denoted as t. This allows for a more flexible way of representing curves and surfaces. On the other hand, implicit equations are equations that relate x and y without any parameter. They are typically expressed in the form f(x, y) = 0 and represent a relationship between x and y that can be graphed on a Cartesian plane.

2. How are parametric and implicit equations used in mathematics?

Parametric equations are commonly used in calculus and physics to describe the motion of objects. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth and complex curves. Implicit equations are used in algebraic geometry to describe algebraic curves and surfaces. They are also used to solve equations and inequalities in algebra and calculus.

3. Can parametric and implicit equations represent the same curves or surfaces?

Yes, some curves and surfaces can be represented by both parametric and implicit equations. For example, the circle can be described by the parametric equations x = cos(t), y = sin(t) and the implicit equation x^2 + y^2 - 1 = 0. However, not all curves and surfaces have equivalent parametric and implicit representations.

4. How do you convert from parametric to implicit equations?

To convert from parametric to implicit equations, you can eliminate the parameter by solving for it in terms of x and y from one of the equations and substituting it into the other equation. This will result in an implicit equation in the form f(x, y) = 0. For example, the parametric equations x = t^2, y = t^3 can be converted to the implicit equation y^2 = x^3.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using parametric and implicit equations?

The advantage of using parametric equations is that they provide a more flexible way of representing curves and surfaces, especially those that cannot be easily expressed in terms of x and y. They also allow for easy manipulation and animation in computer graphics. However, they can be more complicated to work with mathematically compared to implicit equations. On the other hand, implicit equations are simpler and more familiar, but they have limitations in representing certain curves and surfaces.