Parametrizing a Complex Curve on a Torus Surface

In summary, the conversation discusses parametrizing a surface constructed from a complicated curve with normal, binormal, and tangent vectors. The resulting vectors are long due to four additional variables in the position vector equation, including the radii and knot integers of the torus surface. The person is seeking recommendations to simplify the process without assigning numerical values to the variables. An applet is provided for visualization, but the mathematical definition is unclear. The person later solves the problem and offers to help others in the future.
TESL@
Hello,

I am currently trying to parametrize a surface constructed by thickening a rather complicated curve, defining its normal, binormal and tangent vectors. Even using Mathematica simplification, the resulting vectors are page long expressions and the reason for it is because I have four additional variables in the position vector equation aside from the parameter itself.

I cannot post what I get after computing the vectors because it is too long to make sense but my curve is a torus knot, and it obviously depends on the torus surface on which it dwells, thus its radii (r and R) and the knot integers (p and q). These are the four variables.

What would you recommend to simplify the process? I cannot assign numerical values to these variables since I will have to change them later, so do I have to deal with the original equations or is there a method to somehow group all the variables together?

Thank you.

edit: This is the curve equation. Things get a lot worse after taking the derivative of the normalized tangent vector.
rdCyXIK.png

edit2: Here is an applet visualizing what I am doing. It provides the code but I cannot see how it is defined mathematically.
http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/TorusPaths/

By the way, any idea is appreciated since I have limited time. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am about to solve the problem, it turned out to be easier than I thought. I will post the result on here.

mTVtgu5.png

edit: If anybody needs help in the future, PM me.

1. What is a torus surface?

A torus surface is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles a doughnut or a tire. It is created by rotating a circle around an axis in space. The resulting shape has a hole in the middle and a curved surface.

2. What does it mean to parametrize a complex curve on a torus surface?

Parametrizing a complex curve on a torus surface means finding a mathematical representation for the curve on the surface. This involves finding a set of equations or parameters that describe the position and movement of points on the curve as it travels along the surface.

3. Why is it important to parametrize a complex curve on a torus surface?

Parametrizing a complex curve on a torus surface is important because it allows us to study and analyze the curve in a more structured and precise way. It also enables us to perform calculations and make predictions about the curve's behavior on the surface.

4. How is a complex curve on a torus surface parametrized?

There are various methods for parametrizing a complex curve on a torus surface, but one common approach is to use the parametric equations of the torus surface and then adjust one of the parameters to trace out the desired curve. Another method is to use a parametric equation for a three-dimensional curve and then project it onto the torus surface.

5. What are some applications of parametrizing complex curves on a torus surface?

Parametrizing complex curves on a torus surface has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to study and understand the behavior of waves on the surface, model the movement of particles in a magnetic field, and analyze the dynamics of fluids in a torus-shaped container. It is also useful in computer graphics and animation, as it allows for the creation of realistic and visually appealing torus-shaped objects.