Paris' Law Coefficients for Steel

In summary, a participant in a conversation is looking for the values of C and m for Paris' Law coefficients in a fatigue lab for a CT specimen of steel. They have tried searching on Google but have not found anything. Another participant shares a link to a study by MIT with the coefficients on page 7 and mentions that persistence pays off. Someone else responds, thanking them for the link and jokingly wondering if they are in the same class.
Kimusubi
I've recently completed a fatigue lab for a CT specimen of steel, and I wanted to compare my computed values of Paris' Law coefficients with previously published data for error analysis. Does anyone know where I can find the values for C and m? Repeated Google searches have born me no fruit. It doesn't matter what type of steel alloy as we were never given any information in regards to what type of steel we were working with. Any help is highly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Persistence always pays off. Here's a link to a study done by MIT with the Paris' Law coefficients on page 7, just in case anyone needs it for future reference. :smile:

http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Materials-Science-and-Engineering/3-11Mechanics-of-MaterialsFall1999/Modules/fatigue.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I was looking for the same thing. I wonder if we're in the same class...haha

What is Paris' Law Coefficient for Steel?

Paris' Law Coefficient for Steel is a material property that describes the relationship between the growth rate of a crack and the stress intensity factor in steel materials. It is used to predict the fatigue life of steel components.

How is Paris' Law Coefficient for Steel determined?

Paris' Law Coefficient for Steel is determined through experiments and data analysis. The crack growth rate is measured under different stress levels and the data is plotted on a log-log scale. The slope of the resulting line is the Paris' Law Coefficient.

What factors affect Paris' Law Coefficient for Steel?

The Paris' Law Coefficient for Steel can be affected by various factors such as the material composition, heat treatment, loading conditions, and environmental factors like temperature and humidity. It can also vary for different types of steel alloys.

How is Paris' Law Coefficient for Steel used in engineering?

Paris' Law Coefficient for Steel is commonly used in engineering to predict the fatigue life of steel components. It is also used in the design of structures and machinery to ensure their safety and reliability.

Can Paris' Law Coefficient for Steel be applied to other materials?

While Paris' Law Coefficient was originally developed for steel materials, it has been adapted for use in other materials such as aluminum, titanium, and composites. However, the specific coefficient values may differ for each material.