Parity Check Question -- University Level Intro Course: Networking

In summary, parity check is a method used to detect errors in data transmission by adding a parity bit to the dataword, resulting in a codeword. The receiver then checks if the number of 1's is even or odd to determine if there was corruption during transmission. To generate the codewords, all possible datawords must be considered and a single parity bit is usually added at the end. However, with more redundant bits, errors can be detected and corrected.
SumDood_
Homework Statement
The size of the dataword is 5 bits. The codewords are created to match all dataword possibilities.
a) Create a table with all the datawords and codewords using parity-check code.
Relevant Equations
n = k + r
n -> codeword
k-> dataword
r-> redundant bits
What I know:
Parity check is used to detect if there are errors when transmitting data by adding redundancy bits to the dataword (data that we want to send) which creates a codeword. Then the receiver checks if the 1's are even or odd and based on that, we know that there was corruption during transmission.
For example:
dataword = 101
redundancy bit = 0
codeword = 0101
At the receiver side, we check if the 1's are even, if they are, we conclude that the data is not corrupted.

In my question, I do not understand what "all dataword possibilities" mean.
So, the question specifies that I am supposed to use 5 bits for the dataword. This means that from '00000' up to '11111' are valid datawords. I don't know what to do next. Do I just add 1 redundancy bit for 2^5 = 32 datawords? This seems wrong. I feel like I am missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

SumDood_ said:
In my question, I do not understand what "all dataword possibilities" mean.
So, the question specifies that I am supposed to use 5 bits for the dataword. This means that from '00000' up to '11111' are valid datawords. I don't know what to do next.

You basically have it correct. Your table is 2^5 entries of 5 bits each, with one extra parity bit appended at the end to maintain the even or odd parity (whichever is specified) for each codeword. It's often easiest to generate this with Excel, but with only 32 entries you can do it by hand as easily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parity_bit

BTW, a single redundant parity bit can only reliably detect a single bit error in a codeword. With more redundant bits added, you can design the redundant code to detect multiple bit errors and even help with error correction. You'll likely encounter those encodings later in your class.

Last edited:
Likes SumDood_ and pbuk
SumDood_ said:
For example:
dataword = 101
redundancy bit = 0
codeword = 0101
Note that here you have prepended the parity bit (i.e. added it at the beginning). We usually add it at the end (can you think why?), and you have also described adding the parity bit at the end in your question: "n = k + r".

Likes SumDood_ and berkeman
pbuk said:
Note that here you have prepended the parity bit (i.e. added it at the beginning). We usually add it at the end (can you think why?), and you have also described adding the parity bit at the end in your question: "n = k + r".
Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I am not sure, though, why it should be added at the end.

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:
You basically have it correct. Your table is 2^5 entries of 5 bits each, with one extra parity bit appended at the end to maintain the even or odd parity (whichever is specified) for each codeword. It's often easiest to generate this with Excel, but with only 32 entries you can do it by hand as easily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parity_bit

BTW, a single redundant parity bit can only reliably detect a single bit error in a codeword. With more redundant bits added, you can design the redundant code to detect multiple bit errors and even help with error correction. You'll likely encounter those encodings later in your class.
From what I know, a single bit would detect an odd number of errors.
Thanks for your help!

1. What is a parity check in networking?

A parity check is a method used to detect errors in data transmission in a computer network. It involves adding an extra bit to the data being transmitted, which is used to check for errors during the transmission process.

2. How does a parity check work?

A parity check works by adding an extra bit, known as a parity bit, to the data being transmitted. The value of this bit is determined by the number of 1s in the data. During transmission, the receiver counts the number of 1s in the received data and compares it to the expected value. If they do not match, an error is detected.

3. What are the different types of parity checks?

There are two main types of parity checks: even parity and odd parity. Even parity adds a 0 bit if the number of 1s in the data is even, while odd parity adds a 1 bit if the number of 1s is odd. There is also a more advanced type called cyclic redundancy check (CRC), which uses a more complex algorithm to detect errors.

4. Why is a parity check important in networking?

A parity check is important in networking because it helps to ensure data integrity. It can detect errors that may occur during data transmission, such as noise or interference, and alert the receiver to retransmit the data if necessary. This helps to prevent data loss or corruption, which is crucial in a network where accurate data transfer is essential.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a parity check?

One potential drawback of using a parity check is that it can only detect errors, not correct them. This means that if an error is detected, the data must be retransmitted, which can slow down the transmission process. Additionally, using a parity check adds extra bits to the data, which can increase the amount of data being transmitted and potentially slow down the network. However, the benefits of using a parity check generally outweigh these drawbacks.