Parity equivalent to the system

In summary, we used the Chinese Remainder Theorem to solve the congruence $x \equiv 1 \pmod 4, x \equiv 2 \pmod 3$, by finding the inverse isomorphism of the ring isomorphism between $\Bbb Z_{mn}$ and $\Bbb Z_m \times \Bbb Z_n$. This led us to the equation $x \equiv 17 \pmod {12} \Rightarrow x \equiv 5 \pmod {12}$, which is the correct solution.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Mmm)

I have to write a parity that is equivalent to the system:$$\left\{\begin{matrix}
x \equiv 1 \pmod 4\\
x \equiv 2 \pmod 3
\end{matrix}\right.$$

That's what I tried:

$4,3$ are coprime.

We want to find a $c$,such that $x \equiv c \pmod {4 \cdot 3}$

We set $M=4 \cdot 3=12, M_1=3,M_2=4$

$$3x \equiv 1 \pmod 4$$
$$x \equiv 3 \pmod 4$$
$$\xi_1=3$$

$$4x \equiv 2 \pmod 3$$
$$x \equiv 2 \pmod 3$$
$$\xi_2=2$$

We set $c=M_1 \cdot \xi_1+M_2 \cdot \xi_2=17$

The system gets:

$$x \equiv 12 \pmod {12} \Rightarrow x \equiv 5 \pmod {12} \Rightarrow x=12q+5, q \in \mathbb{Z} $$

Could you tell me if it is right? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi! (Blush)

Well... the final answer is correct... but the way to it doesn't look very pretty. (Wait)First it seems you're mixing up $x$ and $\xi_1$ respectively $x$ and $\xi_2$.

And then you got $x \equiv 12 \pmod {12}$, which is not correct. (Doh)

I like Serena said:
Hi! (Blush)

Well... the final answer is correct... but the way to it doesn't look very pretty. (Wait)First it seems you're mixing up $x$ and $\xi_1$ respectively $x$ and $\xi_2$.

And then you got $x \equiv 12 \pmod {12}$, which is not correct. (Doh)

So,is the way I solved the exercise wrong?? (Sweating)

Oh,sorry! I wanted to write $x \equiv 17 \pmod {12} \Rightarrow x \equiv 5 \pmod {12}$.. :eek:

evinda said:
So,is the way I solved the exercise wrong?? (Sweating)

The method is correct. :rolleyes:
Oh,sorry! I wanted to write $x \equiv 17 \pmod {12} \Rightarrow x \equiv 5 \pmod {12}$.. :eek:

Ahaa ;)

I like Serena said:
The method is correct. :rolleyes:

Ahaa ;)

Have I done also an other mistake,except from writing $x \equiv 12 \pmod{12}$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Have I done also an other mistake,except from writing $x \equiv 12 \pmod{12}$ ? (Thinking)

Nope. No other mistakes. ;)

It's just that the line of reasoning is hard to follow.
It requires thorough knowledge of the method to make sense of it. :rolleyes:

I like Serena said:
Nope. No other mistakes. ;)

It's just that the line of reasoning is hard to follow.
It requires thorough knowledge of the method to make sense of it. :rolleyes:

A ok... Thank you very much! (Whew)

Just an aside, what you are doing is applying the Chinese Remainder Theorem.

If we consider the rings $\Bbb Z_m$ and $\Bbb Z_n$, we can form the ring:

$\Bbb Z_m \times Z_n$ by adding and multiplying pairs $(a,b)$ "one coordinate at a time":

$(a,b) + (a',b') = (a+a'b+b')$
$(a,b)\cdot(a',b') = (aa',bb')$ where the operation in the first coordinate is mod $m$, and the second coordinate mod $n$.

Now, if gcd($m,n$) = 1, it is not hard to see that $(1,1)$ has (additive) order $mn$, so that we obtain a ring isomorphism:

$\Bbb Z_{mn} \to \Bbb Z_m \times \Bbb Z_n$, given by:

$[k]_{mn} \mapsto ([k]_m,[k]_n)$.

Solving a congruence:

$x \equiv a\text{ (mod }m)$
$x \equiv b\text{ (mod }n)$

where gcd($m,n$) = 1 is thus equivalent to finding the "inverse isomorphism" of the one above:

trying to find $([k]_{mn})$ such that $[k]_m = [a]_m$ and $[k]_n = _n$.

So let's look at such pairs $([a]_m,_n)$ (I will drop the brackets at times, with the understanding that the first element is mod $m$, the second element is mod $n$).

Note we can write $(a,b) = a(1,0) + b(0,1)$, so what we really want to know is: where do (1,0) and (0,1) wind up under the inverse isomorphism?

Note that (1,0) has order $m$, so it must map to an element of order $m$ in $\Bbb Z_{mn}$. Now if:

$mc = dmn$, it is clear that $c$ is a multiple of $n$, Similarly, (0,1) must map to some multiple of $m$.

So, let's look at what happens to $[dn]_{mn}$ in our original isomorphism. It gets sent to $([dn]_m,[0]_n)$. This means we want to find $d$ such that:

$dn = 1\text{ (mod }m)$

Since gcd($m,n$) = 1, $[n]_m$ is invertible, that is: we should choose $[d]_m = [n^{-1}]_m$.

The same logic shows that the element $[d'm]_{mn}$ that is the pre-image of (0,1) is $m[m^{-1}]_m$.

So what we are looking for as the pre-image of $(a,b)$ is:

$[an[n^{-1}]_m + bm[m^{-1}]_n]_{mn}$

Does this work? Let's try it out on our sample problem here: we have a = 1, b = 2, m = 4, n = 3.

First, we find the inverse of 3 mod 4. It is easy to see that this is 3 itself (3*3 = 9 = 2*4 + 1).

So $an[n^{-1}]_m = 1*3*3 = 9$.

Next, we find the inverse of 4 mod 3, which is 1 (4 = 1 mod 3, and is its own inverse).

So $bm[m^{-1}]_n = 2*4*1 = 8$.

Finally, we add the two, and reduce mod 12, to get 17 = 5 (mod 12). Hey, it works!

Related to Parity equivalent to the system

1. What is parity in terms of a system?

Parity is a concept used in computer science and mathematics to determine whether the number of bits in a binary system is odd or even. It is often used in error detection and correction.

2. How is parity equivalent to a system?

Parity is equivalent to a system because it represents the state of a system in terms of its binary digits. It is a way of organizing and analyzing data in a systematic and efficient manner.

3. What is the purpose of using parity in a system?

The purpose of using parity in a system is to detect and correct errors that may occur during data transmission or storage. It helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data being processed.

4. How is parity calculated in a system?

Parity is calculated by counting the number of 1s in a binary number. If the number of 1s is even, the parity bit is set to 0, while if the number of 1s is odd, the parity bit is set to 1. This allows for easy detection of errors in the system.

5. Are there different types of parity used in systems?

Yes, there are different types of parity used in systems, such as even parity, odd parity, and two-dimensional parity. Each type has its own method of calculation and is used for different purposes, depending on the specific system and its requirements.