Parity violation in lambda baryon decay

In summary, the conversation discussed the weak decay of the lambda baryon to a proton and pion, where parity is not conserved and s and p waves are allowed in the orbital wave function of the pion-proton system. The angular distribution of the protons relative to the lambda's spin, which points along the z-axis, was then discussed using non-relativistic wavefunctions. The Wigner-Eckart theorem was considered as a possible method for finding the angular distribution, but it is not clear how to relate it to the proton's angular distribution.
Veles

Homework Statement

In the weak decay of the lambda baryon to a proton and pion, parity is not conserved, allowing for s and p waves in the orbital wave function of the pion-proton system. Using non-relativistic wavefunctions, find the angular distribution of the protons relative to the lambda's spin, which points along the z-axis.

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Define the z'-axis as the direction of the proton's momentum.
Define L_z' as the projection of the orbital angular momentum of the pion-proton system along z'.
Define s_z' as the projection along the z'-axis of the proton's spin.
Define J_z' as the total angular momentum along z'.

J_z' can be +1/2 or -1/2 (so J=1/2, and angular momentum is conserved).
Therefore the following combinations of [L_z', s_z'] are allowed: [1, -1/2], [0,1/2], [0,-1/2], [-1, 1/2].

Chirality is conserved at the weak interaction vertices. However, as it is the constituent quarks interacting, not the proton/baryon, I can't see what limitations this places on the chirality of the proton.

Physics news on Phys.org
I then thought that I could use the Wigner-Eckart theorem to find the angular distribution, but I'm not sure how. As I understand it, the general form for transition matrix elements is given by <J_fM_f|T_q^q|J_iM_i> = (-1)^(j_i - m_i)<j_f || T_q^q || j_i> * <m_f || j_f, m_i>where T_q^q is the operator given by the weak interaction. However, I don't know how to relate this to the angular distribution of the proton. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is parity violation in lambda baryon decay?

Parity violation in lambda baryon decay refers to the phenomenon where the weak interaction, one of the four fundamental forces of nature, does not conserve parity symmetry. This means that the laws of physics are not the same when viewed under a mirror reflection, and it is observed in the decay of lambda baryons, a type of subatomic particle.

Why is parity violation in lambda baryon decay important?

Parity violation in lambda baryon decay is important because it provides evidence for the violation of parity symmetry, which was previously thought to be a fundamental law of the universe. This discovery helped to pave the way for the development of the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the interactions between subatomic particles.

How is parity violation in lambda baryon decay observed?

Parity violation in lambda baryon decay is observed through experiments that measure the spin of the particles involved in the decay. If parity symmetry is conserved, the spin of the particles should be equal and opposite. However, if parity symmetry is violated, the spin will not be equal and opposite, providing evidence for the violation of parity symmetry.

What are the implications of parity violation in lambda baryon decay?

The discovery of parity violation in lambda baryon decay has significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe. It has led to the development of new theories and models in particle physics, and has helped to explain the behavior of subatomic particles in the universe.

Can parity violation in lambda baryon decay be observed in other systems?

Yes, parity violation has been observed in other systems, such as in the decay of other subatomic particles, as well as in other areas of physics, such as nuclear physics. It has also been observed in astronomical phenomena, such as the behavior of neutrinos in supernovae explosions.