Parseval's Theorem and Fourier series

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Parseval's Identity to calculate the integral of f(x)^2 from -L to L. The main requirement for using this identity is that the Fourier series must be well-defined and square integrable. The conversation also mentions the Riesz-Fischer theorem, which states that if the coefficients of a Fourier series are finite, then the function is square integrable.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

Please take a look at the lowest equation in this picture:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/744/picture2ao8.png

This is Parselvals Identity.

Let us say that I am given a Fourier series of f(x), and I want to calculate the integral of f(x)^2 from -L to L. In order to do this, I use Parsevals Identity. But the requirement for me to use Parsevals Identity is that the series is well-defined and square integrable. How do I show this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the series?

It is given by:

[tex]
f(x) = 1 + \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\left( {\frac{{\cos nx}}{{3^n }} + \frac{{\sin nx}}{n}} \right)}
[/tex]

Do you mean [tex]f(x) = 1 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{\cos(\pi nx/L)}{3^n} + \frac{\sin(\pi nx/L)}{n}[/tex]?

In any case, it doesn't matter that much. The way to solve this is to recall that the set of Fourier basis functions are orthogonal; doing out the integral multiplying all terms, it's not hard to show that, for a Fourier series with coefficients [tex]a_0,a_n,b_n,n=1,\dots,\infty[/tex]
[tex] ||f(x)||^2 = L|a_0|^2 + L/2\sum_{n=1}^\infty |a_n|^2 + |b_n|^2 [/tex].

In my first post, the L's are supposed to be switched with pi's.

How can I show that f(x) is a well-defnied, square integrable function on [-pi; pi] so that I am allowed to use Parsevals Identity?

EDIT: See here

http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/LyapunovEquation.html

- under "Parseval's Theorem".

Last edited by a moderator:
The Riesz-Fischer theorem should give you the proof.

Hmm, ok.. I will try and look into it. Thanks

Sorry, I didn't have much time to post last time. The Riesz-Fischer theorem essentially says (among other things) that, given [tex]a_0,a_n,b_n,n=1,\dots,\infty[/tex], if [tex]|a_0|^2 + \sum_{i=1}^\infty |a_n|^2 + |b_n|^2 < \infty[/tex], then there must exist a function [tex]f[/tex] such that [tex]a_0,a_n,b_n[/tex] are its Fourier coefficients, and this is its L2 norm. Since you have a function with those coefficients already, square integrability should follow.

Last edited:

Related to Parseval's Theorem and Fourier series

1. What is Parseval's Theorem?

Parseval's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the energy of a signal to its Fourier transform. It states that the total energy of a signal can be calculated by summing the squares of its Fourier coefficients.

2. What is the significance of Parseval's Theorem in Fourier analysis?

Parseval's Theorem is significant in Fourier analysis because it allows us to analyze the energy of a signal in both the time and frequency domains. It also helps us determine if a signal is periodic or aperiodic.

3. How is Parseval's Theorem related to Fourier series?

Parseval's Theorem is a fundamental property of Fourier series, which are mathematical representations of periodic signals as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It allows us to calculate the energy of a signal by looking at its Fourier coefficients.

4. Can Parseval's Theorem be applied to non-periodic signals?

Yes, Parseval's Theorem can be applied to non-periodic signals as well. In this case, the Fourier series becomes a Fourier integral, and the sum of squares is replaced by an integral.

5. What are some practical applications of Parseval's Theorem and Fourier series?

Parseval's Theorem and Fourier series have many practical applications, such as in signal processing, image and sound compression, and data compression. They are also used in various fields of science and engineering for analyzing and synthesizing signals.