Part-Time Student for 1 Quarter: Impact on Grad School?

In summary, the individual is planning on taking 2 classes next quarter, which is equivalent to 8 quarter units. However, they need 12 units to be considered a full-time student. They are concerned about how this will look to grad schools, but it is unlikely to make a difference. They also mention that being part-time may not affect financial aid or scholarships at a community college, but it may impact their ability to stay on their parents' health insurance plan. However, this should not be a concern for grad schools.
torquerotates
Next quarter I'm taking 2 classes. About 8 quarter units. I need 12 to be full time. Would it look bad to grad schools if I'm not a full time student for one quarter?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, I don't think it'll make a difference to grad schools at all.

But does going below full-time status affect your financial aid or scholarships (if you have any)?

I'm at a community college so its really cheap. I don't need any financial aid. However, I will after I transfer.

I don't think a grad school will care. I'm sure there are many former part-time undergrads who went on to graduate studies.

Remember though, if you're on your parents health insurance plan, that the insurance company WILL care and won't let you stay on your parents plan if your not a full-time student.

Related to Part-Time Student for 1 Quarter: Impact on Grad School?

1. How will taking a quarter as a part-time student affect my chances of getting into grad school?

Taking a quarter as a part-time student can have a positive impact on your grad school application if it allows you to focus on other important aspects such as research, internships, or extracurricular activities. However, if it is due to poor academic performance or a lack of commitment, it could negatively affect your chances.

2. Will taking a quarter as a part-time student affect my GPA and academic standing?

It depends on your individual circumstances and the policies of your school. Some schools may only consider your grades from full-time quarters when calculating your GPA, while others may include all quarters. Additionally, taking a quarter as a part-time student could delay your graduation, which could impact your academic standing.

3. Can I still apply for grad school during my quarter as a part-time student?

Yes, you can still apply for grad school during your quarter as a part-time student. However, it is important to consider how your part-time status may affect your application and to communicate this information to the admissions committee.

4. How will taking a quarter as a part-time student affect my financial aid and scholarships?

Part-time status may affect your eligibility for certain types of financial aid and scholarships. It is important to check with your school's financial aid office to understand how your part-time status may impact your funding.

5. Will taking a quarter as a part-time student extend my time in grad school?

It is possible that taking a quarter as a part-time student could extend your time in grad school, depending on the requirements of your program and how it affects your graduation timeline. However, it could also allow you to prioritize important experiences and potentially expedite your overall progress towards your degree.